• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gaz832

Keep The Mi16 Or Go 2.o Ltr Turbo.

Daviewonder

8.0:1 aren't they?

I ran 1 bar boost using a bleed valve in an XM estate for a long time with no problems, the rest of the car fell apart in the end, I've still got the engine.

Yeah, XM is 8.0:1 and the 406 is 8.5:1

I've been running a bleed valve since I completed mine in 2011 and had no issues what so ever.

Steve

Running at .9 boost so still in the ecu's working zone, running the standard lamda and emissions wise it's running fine.

• Like 1

TooMany2cvs

Yeah, XM is 8.0:1 and the 406 is 8.5:1

Probably most XM TCTs had the higher compression RGYs, too, rather than RGXs. Given the levels of boost that the ECU would allow, that's not exactly low...

allanallen

8.5:1 is low, especially considering the very low boost levels they run as standard.

gaz832

Mi is coming out today . Going to clean and degrese the engine bay its had a oil leak from somewhere . Cars being resprayed thinking of doing the bay black as that goes with any colour

Daviewonder

Black engine bay just looks like a cheap unfinished paint job.

Steve

They must engineer some over boost tolarance into the engine, in the same respect my mi16 was running just under 220 with no problems . Until I get it on the dyno I can only guess I'm running around 180 ish. To keep the charge temp down I have fitted a inter cooler capable of 400 bh. The killer of turbos is melted pistons due to detonation . Make sure that afr/ mixture are slightly rich.

andy-mac

turn the boost up on turbo engine and it's night and day to mi16 , but the turbo engine does not rev very high

but makes more power further down rev range and they go well

might change my mi16 for a turbo engine one day if i can find one

• Like 2

NFS

Can these turbo engines run without the lamda (o2) sensor? im not overly confident that mine has one :S

Slo

Yes it even makes it a bit more responsive, however i dont know if there will be any side effects from not using one. When i unplug mine the difference is really noticable too throughout the rev range. I want to add a switch so i can disconnect it from thr driving seat to get a bit more response when i want it, i dont leave it disconnected all the time because it drinks petrol.

I always assumed the lambda sensor was just an emission thing to protect the cat which it no longer has

NFS

Humm Yeah mine does drink a fair amount of fuel, so with it unplugged do you think it will be running richer? i have increased the boost on mine just i have yet to fit an sort of AFR guage to see if its underfueling.

TooMany2cvs

Humm Yeah mine does drink a fair amount of fuel, so with it unplugged do you think it will be running richer? i have increased the boost on mine just i have yet to fit an sort of AFR guage to see if its underfueling.

Assuming you're running it on the original management...?

With the sensor unplugged, it'll see a fault, log a code, put the light on, and go to a "fail-safe" map. To help prevent detonation, it'll probably restrict boost and run a bit rich.

Slo

Really? Dont get the k light on when i unplug mine just more power.

NFS

Assuming you're running it on the original management...?

With the sensor unplugged, it'll see a fault, log a code, put the light on, and go to a "fail-safe" map. To help prevent detonation, it'll probably restrict boost and run a bit rich.

Yeah original management, i really dont think theres even one welded to my exhaust. i didnt do the conversion. i dont know what light it would put on or even if my dash has been wired up to see if the light has been triggered. it doesnt seem to be in a fail safe map and is fairly quick.

i took my loom off the car the other week and didnt notice any sort of plug that would connect to a lamda sensor.

Slo

He means the k light do you have it? Im running original management too

NFS

Nope whats the 'K' light?

NFS

ah okay i see just found this thread

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=6824

i will check if theres even a bulb in that k light later. knowing my luck there isnt and its been on all the time, i have never seen it come on and i didnt even know it exsisted. if it is on how would if read the faults? my engines from an Xm i believe.

TooMany2cvs

i will check if theres even a bulb in that k light later. knowing my luck there isnt and its been on all the time, i have never seen it come on and i didnt even know it exsisted. if it is on how would if read the faults? my engines from an Xm i believe.

If it was wired up properly, it'd come on with the ignition briefly, then go out. If there were stored codes, it'd stay on for a few seconds longer.

Slo

It wont be wired up properly or have a bulb in it if the original engine in your car didnt use it. The k light has to be wired up with a diode in series otherwise as you have read or it will stay on all the time.

It may be a bit confusing this but you can see how the k light should be wired into the instrument panel and this is how I did mine

wiringdiagramenginemanagment_zps9948a6a9

Edited by Slo

Steve

Really? Dont get the k light on when i unplug mine just more power.

Defo get more power mid range without the lambda sensor connected, but mine runs quite a bit richer disconnected.... maybe a bad thing as it will spin the wheels in fifth lol.

Maybe i need a longer gear or a diesel diff. I will be putting some pictures on soon when i can reduce the file sizes.