• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Gman

Which Direction? Itbs Or Supercharging

welshpug

I wouldn't say a SC would be unreliable, but you have far more going on in the engine bay, far more expensive oil changes, far more expensive to get an efficient cooling solution, and silencing is a problem.

Spiky

MY SC setup was easyier to drive than my TB setup (tps issues)

i only expensive oil, so wasnt an issue, the SC oil isnt cheap, agreed

i disagree on noise

TB noise is MUCH hard to make quiet,

SC setup just need decen exhaust, like i have and it's 85-90 so not a problem EVER

rallyeash

Tb's aren't hard to keep quiet with a decent exhaust.

My 205 is 88-90db at 4,500rpm but is very loud on induction pull

Tom Fenton

Noise on bodies wise, it depends how they are measuring. A static test under no load is easy to pass. However a drive by test at full chat is where a car with bodies can struggle.

Spiky

Sorry, I meant drive by, static I was always 85' but drive by was well over that :)

rallyeash

Yeah, I've never been pulled up for that though. Probably wish I didn't say that now!

Spiky

Haha your cursed now

Combe I was ok, Bedford I did 3 laps, and banned, 400 down the drain, not happy

Got pulled on an airfield too, but just revved lower and was ok

allanallen

Try donny, last time I went mine was over (induction noise) on the drive by and it's on a standard inlet!!!

Mad Scientist

I got black flagged for induction noise at donny. Apparently they don't measure it correctly. Been fine everywhere else, and being a rally car, at 4500rpm it's only 92db.

Gman

So, mixed opinions so far....

Spikey, did you repack your exhaust to do away with the 2nd backbox thing?

What sort of price am I looking at to increase the capacity using second hand parts, and does anyone know if ITBs mean I will have to lower my rad or cut my slam panel?

Spiky

No not repacked, was made by speed flow in Cardiff

They did a great job

Two boxes is all I needed

Miles

Keep the slam panel where it is, not 100% ideal but they fit fine, Loads of examples on my FB page if you have it

dcc

The biggest issue (in my eyes) with the super charger setup is the stress it starts to put on other parts of the car. The driveshafts for starters.

the other issue is the short and simple - you are forcing air into an engine which was designed togive a power output of 167bhp - yes with bodies you do get a bit better, but essentially it is an engine designed for a purpose, and inevitably things will fail - be it part of the SC kit or of the original engine gubbings. A lot of people have issues with them stalling.

allye

Aren't the stalling issues down to light flywheels not the sc?

stef205

I don't agree with the above comment, my engine isn't always on boost, the time it spends off boost the engine reacts the same way as a n/a engine. On another note I've not had issues with any other components shafts, gearboxes etc. As for exhaust I have a 3 box system which is at 89db but my charger is very loud. Of course mine is a home brew setup, go with what ever you want they both have there ups and downs.

Spiky

Mine doesn't stall at all, and actually lots of the stalling issues are related to a fault pas sensor

Stress on car? Maybe, but I have never broke a shaft , box, or anything in the 7 years I had the car,

Maybe some drives are easier on their cars

If it was a rally car I'm sure it would be a different story

Gman, don't listen to the internet, do what YOU want :)

allye

Stress on the car? Zero s*its will be given about this if it makes the car faster :lol:

If it was me, I could not ignore the power difference for the money. ITB Noise, great fantastic, listen to it barking and what not whilst a SC'd car comes past you......

Alastairh

I would go SC.

From previous tb'd GTi6 205s i've had, i didn't really find them that fast for the cash. Where as Gary's SC seemed a much faster car. Engineering all the radiators behind the valance will be biggest hurdle if you want to keep the OE look.

Al

Spiky

i was using a high boost Intercooler

but i also fitted a 2wd cosworth cooler, which sit's ABOVE the rad :) behind the grill :)

ic2photo.jpg

Batfink

The gti-6 standard internals can cope with a supercharger. So can the radiator. If driven hard the driveshafts get a fair workout. Buy good brand driveshafts and feed in power and you will be fine. The exhaust failing noise levels is down to the maker of the exhaust not building it right. Any car can be made quiet. Stalling is simply down to a bad install, a broken part or bad map. I'm lucky to get to drive a supercharged gti-6 and Tom is always down my work so I get to see what gets done on the car. Biggest expense is its lavished with regular services with expensive oil, but thats the joy of any high performance vehicle whether it has a supercharger or ITB's

stef205

I can't speak for the rotrex but eaton state the oil in the charger will last around 60k miles.

rallyeash

Stress on the car? Zero s*its will be given about this if it makes the car faster :lol:

If it was me, I could not ignore the power difference for the money. ITB Noise, great fantastic, listen to it barking and what not whilst a SC'd car comes past you......

Depends on what state your NA engine is at!

Spiky can lap Combe in 1.19 as per his video and so can I consistently. Actually now with my dry sump and brakes that don't overheat after 5 minutes (now 6 pots) I should be able to push the car harder so hopefully lap times will fall again.

that's 230hp na against 250hp charged with similar chassis

• Like 1

allye

This is true Ash, however I dare you to sit down and add up how much you have spent! :blink:

I've never done it, people always ask, but I never have done.

dcc

"I still need it to be reliable, so if charging isn't, then that makes it an easier decision!"

To me Charging is the fun option for a 2nd car, which may well happen at some stage, but my daily drive will be my 8v on itb's.

welshpug

thing is, a sc low boost 309 would not come past yours.