• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sport1901966

Welding Advice - O/s Chassis Leg/wheel Arch To Bulkhead Seam

sport1901966

Hi All,

Unfortunately the never ending project has found a new way to postpone its track day debut by failing its MOT due to corrosion damage with to close a proximity to the suspension top mount.

My welding skills are improving to the point where I am pretty happy to get stuck in and do it myself, but as it'll be the first welding repair work I've done I thought it would be a good idea to get some experienced opinions on how best to tackle the task.

As a picture says a thousand words - here is the rust. Its corroded along the seam between the wheel well panel and bulkhead and has actually progressed to being a hole.

CIMG7028d_zps6f68e70a.jpg

CIMG7030d_zps4b9f0db8.jpg

CIMG7025_zpsba03368d.jpg

CIMG7046_zps5d29d854.jpg

What would you suggest is the best way forward here? And how should it be treated after welding/before paint to prevent rust re-establishing?

(By the way, I'm ignoring the other holes for now!)

Thanks for the help!

Geoff

Tom Fenton

Cut the s*ite out from underneath and weld a plate in, then clean it up in the back of the engine bay and seam sealer it.

sport1901966

Sounds easy!

I havent had much of a chance to look yet, but am I right in thinking if I get the scuttle panel and wiper assy out I should be able to get access to the other side aswell?

Would it be worth a coat of etch primer/zinc primer and some base coat before putting on the seam sealer?

Tom Fenton

I personally would Ku-rust then etch prime then seam seal.

DamirGTI

No doubt you'll find more rust ("spider legs") hidden underneath the stone chip coat so - clean the affected areas all the way till the sound metal , then cut out and make weld in patches out of 1.5mm sheet steel .

Been working on this area , well almost all the bodywork was infected with iron oxide greensmilies-008.gif:

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=97351&page=4

D