• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Kane

[Car_Overhaul] One Thing Leads To Another..

Kane

Cool cool, I'll have a look through the bag of the old chopped up loom for it and swap it over in the next couple of days.

One other mistake I've made on the loom is the size of the terminals that I used for the brown multi-plugs. When making up the loom in the house the 6.3mm male terminals I bought fitted the brown plug fine although when trying to fit to the car I found that they are too wide for the female terminals in the other half of the plug. So now I'm going to have to chop off the old pins and replace them but what with is the question.

Here is what I fitted already:

6.3mm male terminal

This is what I think I should have bought:

Male terminal for ISO radio connector

I'm still not 100% sure though as the website doesn't list the size of the terminal. What's people's thoughts on this? I'm going to call polevolt in the morning to check to see what they recommend so hopefully I'll get some good news back.

I recently bought a second hand set of headlights off of a member on here and today I noticed that condensation had started to build up on the inside of them so I presume that the seals have gone. I think I'm going to order a replacement set of lucas lamps as I've read good things about them from other members on the forum but in the mean time is it easy enough to cut away the sealant on the lenses and re-seal with something like silicone?

jackherer

Those radio connector terminals are smaller, the ones for the brown multiplug are Peugeot only. I did manage to get some from RS or Farnell once but it involved hours of trawling their catalogues and buying huge amounts and unfortunately I lost the details.

The Peugeot part numbers are here http://www.ryanmoore.comule.com/ I got some about three weeks ago so they are still available easily, the prices are horrendous though :(

Kane

Ah what a nightmare! I might try and attempt to trim down the pins I have on at the moment as they're the correct length I think it's just that they're a little too wide. If that fails then I'll just have to order from that link, thanks for the help Kieran.

jackherer

Most blade terminals are two layers folded at the edges so they'll split if you trim an edge off. Even if they don't split they'll be intermittently unreliable which is the hardest thing to diagnose when you've broken down, GLPoomobile will be along shortly to tell you all about it :lol:

You'll have to bite the bullet and get the genuine ones. You can't buy them from that link though, that's just a forum member's info page, you need to get a Peugeot dealer to order them for you using those part numbers.

GLPoomobile

Shut it you! :angry:

:P

• Like 1

GLPoomobile

Food for thought for those who struggle with Peugeot terminals and their cost/availability - it may be simpler/more cost effective to simply chop off the brown plugs on the interior side, and then replace both plugs (interior side and engine loom side) with a more generic pair of plugs and their terminals. No good for those who chase the holy grail of OE authenticity, but to the rest of us who want an easy life, I think it's the way to go.

Anthony

... although given how often most 205 owners actually make/change a loom, is it really worth the hassle of doing that for the sake of a few quid in pins (as the socket itself could be reused)? From what I remember, it's only the high current pins that are pricey and there's only three of them needed (ignition, fuel pump, starter) and the low current ones uses for dash instruments/lights are fairly cheap.

I don't worship the alter of OE authenticity, but I curse like a sailor when I find that people have needlessly chopped out connectors (or anything similar) and made life far more difficult than it needs for no good reason other than laziness and/or tight fistedness.

(removing the brown sensor loom multiplug in the engine bay is fine for example as the standard one causes so many issues being unsealed and prone to corrosion related issues)

jackherer

Food for thought for those who struggle with Peugeot terminals and their cost/availability - it may be simpler/more cost effective to simply chop off the brown plugs on the interior side, and then replace both plugs (interior side and engine loom side) with a more generic pair of plugs and their terminals. No good for those who chase the holy grail of OE authenticity, but to the rest of us who want an easy life, I think it's the way to go.

You're right but there is something nice about custom wiring that just plugs into the factory stuff. It's irrational and potentially unreliable but the same is true of the entire concept of running an old car! http://www.dilbert.com/strips/comic/2013-02-11/

GLPoomobile

... although given how often most 205 owners actually make/change a loom, is it really worth the hassle of doing that for the sake of a few quid in pins (as the socket itself could be reused)? From what I remember, it's only the high current pins that are pricey and there's only three of them needed (ignition, fuel pump, starter) and the low current ones uses for dash instruments/lights are fairly cheap.

I don't worship the alter of OE authenticity, but I curse like a sailor when I find that people have needlessly chopped out connectors (or anything similar) and made life far more difficult than it needs for no good reason other than laziness and/or tight fistedness.

(removing the brown sensor loom multiplug in the engine bay is fine for example as the standard one causes so many issues being unsealed and prone to corrosion related issues)

Well you do have a point there actually. The factory headunit connector is a perfect case in point there. Fine if somebody has used an ISO link loom, but when they chop out the original......grrrrrrr. It was for that reason that when I repaired the utter wank of a "job" (used in the loosest possible terms) on my 205 that I put a standard factory connector back in and then created my own ISO link loom, when it would have been quicker and easier to just stick the ISO plug on the factory wiring, but I was thinking ahead.

If the Peugeot terminals are not much of an issue at present then it's best to stay OE. But you do have to remember that they'll often only sell them in packs of xxxx which can seriously hike up the price unless you can sell on any surplus ones. There will come a time when availability and costs become a limiting factor, and that's when one may need to resort to a different type of connector.

Kane

Just been onto servicebox to check the prices of the terminals for anyone who is interested. 1mm2 come in at £0.50 which is expensive yes but I then looked at the 2mm2 terminals and they are £1.50 each! :blink:

They had better be plated in gold for that price :lol:

Oh well at least it should be a one off purchase.

S@m

.......you haven't seen the minimum order quantities yet!

2mm ones come in a bag of 5

1mm in a bag of 10.

Edited by Sam306

Kane

Nope I haven't but that doesn't sound like news I want to hear Sam! :ph34r:

Whereabouts on servicebox does it state minimum order quantities?

S@m

It doesn't state them on servicebox as far as i know.

I've added the quantities above. I only know them because i work for Citroen.

Kane

Ah that's not too bad then as I would be needing approximately one pack of each for my two plugs.

Finally something working out nicely on this project :P

Kane

Thanks for the offer Paul. I have some plugs sitting in the garage from my old loom I could use but it would mean splicing old wires in with the new loom which I think might be a little counter productive. I managed to order the terminals I require for a reasonable sum of money earlier today anyway so should be good on that front at the moment.

Again thanks for the offer Paul its greatly appreciated.

If you do find the gromit for the servo that would help a lot. :D

Kane

Managed to pick up some bits and bobs earlier in the week that I was needing to get on with the remaining jobs on the car. Fitted the vacuum hose this morning then set about fitting the exhaust manifold with the wedge plate so I was able to prepare the downpipe for welding. Here's a few photos of how it went:

With the flange fitted to the manifold I marked the downpipe in the correct position.

20140808_133058_zpsfd0e2ave.jpg

I then welded the flange to the pipe. I'm using a gasless welder at the moment and as you can see the welds aren't particularly pretty but it should do the job.

20140808_134624_zpsvndmhexs.jpg

Then from the excess section of the downpipe I measured up and marked what was required.

20140808_135915_zps5pqi9gqh.jpg

And welded the cut section to the rest of the downpipe.

20140808_141538_zpswsufuf90.jpg

The next step was to clean up the surface rust, for this I used a clean & strip disk on a grinder. A few minutes later and I had this.

20140808_142234_zps3ehxbwty.jpg

Finally I thought it would be a good idea to put some paint on it to try and slow down any rust that is likely to return. The only stuff I had in the garage was VHT lacquer so sprayed on a couple of coats and finished it off with the heat gun. And this is the final product.

20140808_145834_zpsurcouboj.jpg

Just as I was just finishing up with the downpipe the rain started so I never had a chance to fit it, this will have to wait until next week. With the rain coming on and off most of the day the only real thing I could keep working at was putting the remaining pieces of the interior back in the car. I don't have the highest expectation of the interior as a lot of the plastic tabs which hold screws have been snapped off at some point in time, pairing this with the fact that I've fitted uprated engine mounts all round I've got a slight suspicion that the car is going to rattle itself to bits :lol:

Anyways this is what I left the car like this evening, only a couple more pieces of interior trim to go then onto the seats. The end is in sight ^_^

20140808_201240_zpse35cado5.jpg

Edited by Kane

Kane

Nope still the old one, spent a good couple of hours cleaning it while it was out of the car it turned out not too bad. :) Next time I have the seats out I think I'm going to have a go at dying it as there is a couple of small patches that wouldn't clean up.

Slo

Looks new very nice, go with the dylon die mate that i reccomended paint will just fall off

Kane

Yeah the dye does seem to be the better option. Next time I plan on taking the seats out will be to replace/refurbish them as the quality of the leather and bolsters is extremely poor so will likely be a few months before I get round to it.

I take it you used that same stuff to the the carpet portion of your door cards?

Slo

Only did the carpet and console, completely forgot about the door card carpets, still they're easy to remove and do at another time

Kane

Been out at the car today finishing off the list of smaller jobs I had written up. Made up the injector sub loom and integrated that into the main engine loom and I also fitted a number of spade terminals for alternator etc etc. I'm having a small problem with the oil temperature sensor as I cannot remove the nut to take off the old ring terminal, it just keeps spinning so looks like I'll have to source another one. Does anyone on here have one lying around they would be willing to part with?

Last thing to do on the loom now is to cut off the terminals I have used for the brown multi-plug, as they're the wrong type, and replace with genuine peugeot items. These are in the post and should be with me later in the week. Although that is basically the loom finished I can see myself changing a few things once I actually get it on the road again, there are just a few bits that I'm not 100% happy with but shouldn't affect the operation of the car.. I hope :ph34r:

Got the exhaust fitted today as well which turned out to be a slight PITA, much like everything else! :lol: I thought the exhaust would mate up to the downpipe fine once the U-Clamp was fitted although unfortunately this was not the case. With the clamp tightened the exhaust was loose on the downpipe, not by much though. I managed to get it to work by taking it off and widening the cut-outs, popped it back in with a bit of sealant and tightened the clamp down. Job jobbed! :)

As the light was starting to fade I decided to pack up for tonight, this is a final shot of the engine bay (minus battery)

20140811_204552_zpsac4nnpfm.jpg

Final jobs before I book it in for an mot:

Fit front seats and seat belts

Fit ecu bracket and lower dash (drivers side)

Fill Gearbox (advice on the best way to replace oil?)

Fit scuttle, bonnet and wipers

Fit front bumper, valance and splice in new aftermarket driving lights

Get OS puncture repaired and swap out temporary wheel

Coolant (any recommendations?)

Replace brown multi-plug pins

dcc

fyi those fuel lines will perish quickly - within 1-2 years.

gearbox can be done via breather on top - black plug which is a 17 / 19mm :)

there is a lot of guff info on coolant - iirc there is a thread on here regarding it.

Kane

Why is that Dan? Is it the routing that is the problem?

Ah I wondered what that was for :lol: I'll get some ordered up and put in this week.

I'll have a search, just being a bit lazy after a long day ;)