• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
forbeslongden

Stdt Engine Help

forbeslongden

I'm guessing if I'm having problems with seeing coolant there maybe hardly any in there! :/ I was considering just bonding the pipe back together as I doubt I'll find a new pipe for a reasonable amount of money.

Yeah I've got some 15'' Cyclones with 195/60 R15 tyres on them they were rubbing in the rear arches of my GTi... Will they go on the STDT, I assume it's a higher arch but softer suspension? I had problems with the 1.9 GTi alloys on my 96' 205 Style rubbing when two people were in the back.

Do you reckon the pipe is causing the engine heat issues or is it perhaps just bad timing with another problem unearthing itself?

:)

dirtdog

The style wouldn't have the right arch. Had same problems on a xld. Base rear arches are lower and thinner. The stdt has same as the gti so if the 60s rub your gti they may do on the stdt also. Although saying that they do have a higher ride height than a gti so you might also get away with it. Try them and see. As for the coolant, I'd say just fix the hose with a connector, drain and then flush the system with a garden hose until it runs clear..it will probably be rusty(IIRC the Haynes says you can flush part in reverse but not exactly sure what) then refill to correct level. If it's still overheating after that then I have no idea

forbeslongden

Cool I will repair the hose today :)

forbeslongden

I decided to cut the pipe section off that had the hole and stick a metal rod snugly in then jubilee clip it either side, seems to have worked ......

forbeslongden

Right so, I've found the car hasn't been starting as quickly as I'd like and found this morning that the battery didn't have enough juice to turn the car over, it was just clicking; although the instrument panel was lit up. I charged the battery through the day and it started up much quicker, I figure my alternator could be a fault? If so, does the STDT share the same one as a the standard 1.8D?

Edited by forbeslongden