• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
forbeslongden

Stdt Engine Help

forbeslongden

Hello there guys.

I've just bought a 205 STDT and drove it pretty much 130 miles back to where I live without any hint of problems with the car.

However, today I drove the car fine until I filled the tank and drove a little bit to visit a relative for around an hour, when starting and driving the car again I got down the road and the power started to go until it had hardly anything left, I pulled over and switched the engine off and had a look in the engine bay - nothing seemed obvious to me.

I then decided to resume my journey and although I didn't lose full power it started to get a little random with the speed, almost really laggy, juddery and lazy..... Can anyone advise what's going on? Is the turbo screwed?

Edited by forbeslongden

Anthony

Does it start easily and return to idle OK when it's struggling for power?

If it does, I'd start with checking/replacing the fuel filter.

If it doesn't want to start and/or cuts out instead of returning to idle, then check very carefully for any air leaks in the diesel pipework - it only takes the tiniest leak to allow air into the fuel lines and really screw up the running.

welshpug

The lucas filter assembly is known to give issue so as anthony said check for leaks and change the filter.

forbeslongden

Hey guys, yeah there's no problems with it starting and idling it hasn't stalled or anything.

What happened was I pulled away from a junction and it wanted me to change into second straight away.... I thought 'that's funny it hasn't wanted a change that quickly before' then it wanted third pretty much straight after but I wasn't getting any power it just seemed to want to get slower. Now, when I started it again it pulled away in first fine because I booted the accelerator just to be safe and it drove fine but seemed to be trying to draw air and giving me 'pockets' of boost rather than a straight transition.

I noticed when driving it back when purchasing it that it seemed sluggish in first/second and then really picked up between third/fourth .... I assume that's because I'm used to a GTi?

forbeslongden
Weser

From what I remember from my turbo diesel (same engine) boost doesn't really come in until top end of 2nd. Then from then onwards you notice it. Like you said before then its a bit sluggish.

Check your boost pipes because when you have a leak then these things are seriously down on power. You might have a small leak giving you the pockets of boost?

What happened was I pulled away from a junction and it wanted me to change into second straight away.... I thought 'that's funny it hasn't wanted a change that quickly before' then it wanted third pretty much straight after but I wasn't getting any power it just seemed to want to get slower.

Are you saying that the rpm went straight up? One mine I do remember first gear being pointless it hardly used. Second would last notably longer though.

shorty_15-92
forbeslongden

I was having trouble finding the right model part haha! Could the fuel pump be at fault also?

Uberderv

I would check the filter and fit some clear fuel pipes so you can check for air ingress. Diesels are very sensitive to air in the fuel system.

forbeslongden

Could the fuel filter really be causing this magnitude of problem? Thanks by the way to everyone helping me keep this STDT on the road!

welshpug

yep! or more specifically this particular type, as the priming part can leak too.

dirtdog

I get the same problem in mine. I'm looking to fit a xud9 housing etc. Also....it will feel flat after being on boost for a while...the joys of having no I/C

forbeslongden

I think I've found the problem! One of the silicone pipes has been perforated by a piece of metal, I put a little electrical tape across it and it seems fine now, are these pipes easily replaced?

welshpug

depends which pipe it is.

forbeslongden

I'll take a photo of it and upload, if it isn't easily sourced can these sorts of pipes be custom made?

dirtdog

Maybe. I checked a local hose company about the main air filter hose (between the box and the inlet) and they told me they couldn't get one to fit..seemed strange to me but didn't question them. Peugeot stealership wanted 80-90 quid IIRC...I used a piece of stainless instead

forbeslongden

Damn it, the water temperature gets one notch off maximum heat, it never gets to the point where it tells me to stop via the red light though.... On a side note, how easy is it to acquire those centre caps for the STDT alloys?

Uberderv

It should run at about 85degC. You can feel the top rad hose to see if its getting hot, if not the stat could be on its way out.

You can whip it out and drop it in boiling water to see if its opening fully. Its pretty important to keep the cooling system in good order on the XUD so I would look into it sooner rather than later.

Tesstuff

Damn it, the water temperature gets one notch off maximum heat, it never gets to the point where it tells me to stop via the red light though.... On a side note, how easy is it to acquire those centre caps for the STDT alloys?

If you mean the standard STDT alloys, the centre caps are a rare beast and recently had a run on eBay where they were selling at £30+ each. I follow these sale prices as I have a set of 5 all brand new or as new in oe boxes in the garage and want to sell at the right time :)

forbeslongden

Damn, are there no other ones that will fit or does it have to be the exact STDT/Gentry? ones?

In regards to the car temperature, the car was fine before the pipe got the hole in it, it's the silicon that carries water I assume as liquid was coming out of it, my coolant was running pretty dry I think too, also the radiator fan comes on once the water temperature gauge gets close to the top.... I assume it's just this pipe causing the problem? Although I do have a new diesel/GTi radiator if I need to get that put in?

dirtdog

I've got two or three of them ;) for sale aswell if you really want them. I ditched the stdt alloys in favour of the speedlines. I don't want 30 quid each though that's extortionate!

One notch off maximum heat...wow! that's pretty hot. I thought mine was running hot when it get's half way when stuck in traffic!. I've wired in a manual switch for the fans...temp sensor was knackered ...fans only ever kicked in once. Drop all the coolant.. flush the engine and system PROPERLY. Might have silted up and causing poor cooling. The gti rad is not good enough for the xud. XUD rad is copper core and a mammoth of a radiator. If you can't fit a gnats d*ck down the sides of headlight when it's fitted it's the TD rad.

Edited by dirtdog

dirtdog

(I did have 4 centre caps but one flew off on a country lane and i never found it...think it spun off into orbit lol )

forbeslongden

That's good to know! I'll stick that radiator in my GTi then, I'd love to get some centre caps but I need all four, I'm in two minds... I may just stick the 306 Cyclones I have in my garden on the car although I'd have to adjust the profile of the tyres since the STDT prefers 14'' wheels doesn't it?

Do you happen to know which/what the name of the pipe is that I need? I'm tempted to do what I hate the most - ask someone whose breaking a 205 :/

It's also so difficult to work out how much coolant is actually there I find....

dirtdog

I had a pulley wear through my PAS hose (idiot mechanics). Was only the size of a pencil nib but i cut it clean either side and joined it using something like this http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_379539_langId_-1_categoryId_255228 and some jubilee clips. Can't see why you'd have to replace the whole hose

Not sure how your having difficulty seeing how much coolant is in the expansion tank...i know it's not clear but just peek down inside the hole

dirtdog

Cyclones 15"? i've had 185 55 15 and 195 50 15s fitted and no issues, although i think the 185 squish less