• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Alan_M

309gti Front Suspension

cybernck

we fitted 309 gti wishbones, arb, droplinks, track rod ends and driveshafts two weeks ago.

the wheels don't get too much negative camber, i'd say just about perfect for road use as well.

the steering and turn-in got more responsive and sharper and although miles said that it's best to

even completely remove the arb for turn-in, i find it to perform better with 309 gti arb than with

the original (thinner) 205 gti one.

martin, would you know if the difference in driveshafts length for the longer shaft is in the part

at the gearbox side or at the wheel side? really important to find out as we just replaced the

wheel end part with a 205 gti item, so i don't know what's the final lenght.

the rhs wishbone is now 205 gti item as well though so it won't pop out (a long and unpleasant story).

thanks.

pug_ham

AFAIK the difference in length is between the two cv joints on the driveshaft.

The section behind the block is very likely IMO to be the same piece for all Pugs that use the XU & Be1 or 3 combination.

Graham.:lol:

C_W

It's also worth mentioning that not all driveshafts come with a split pin, some come with a lock nut. This was a reconditioned shaft though, the originals used the pin.

I've got a pair of GKN shafts on now but I can't remember if they use a pio or not!

pug_ham
It's also worth mentioning that not all driveshafts come with a split pin, some come with a lock nut.

Thats got me wondering what is fitted to my Mums old 309, I have a feeling that it could be the same as the 205 1.6 GTI with a locknut style that is staked into the D/S after torquing.

I'll have a look tomorrow & let you know, that would make it easier to source spare D/S if you know they are also available without the hole for the split pin.

Graham.:)

petert

How thick does the spacer have to be?

Guest Batfink

I was informed that the 309 driveshaft can cause problems with possible damage to the diff as there is no movement available left and right, between the hub and diff.. The proper way to do it was to use the spacer.

This was from a rally team btw

Wurzel

Hmmm,

But if the subframe is the same on the 309 and 205 and only the wishbones differ in length, then the 309 drive shafts must be correct for this set up. If the gearbox was positioned slightly different due to the slightly wider engine bay (strut top mounts at least), then either one drive shaft would be correct and the other too long.

The spacer is a good idea if it works and allows enough thread for the hub nut to be in safety.

It would be interesting though to know exactly how much longer the 309 drive shafts are over the 205 ones. If it is load longer then I can see where the idea comes from.

petert

My 205 is an early model, with the smaller diameter shafts. I had a look at a spare hub and shaft last night, and there doesn't seem to be enough thread left for safe engagement of the wheel nut, even with a 10mm spacer. Perhaps the spacer idea only refers to the later larger diameter shafts?

I also have some large diameter shafts from a BX16V which look to be approx. 15-20mm longer than the 205 shafts. I was planning to use those when I sourced some 15" hubs.

Any more clues?

Sign in to follow this