• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Alan_M

309gti Front Suspension

Alan_M

Seriously considering replacing the wishbones, drop-links & track-rod ends on my 205 as there starting to feel & look a bit fecked.

As i'm getting new wishbones, was considering getting some 309 items. Obviouslt this will give me some negative camber on the front, which i could do with according to Adi, after looking at my track pics.

I know i'll need some 309 driveshafts too, but i was going to get new ones anyway for the Mi16 conversion.

What i'm after is comments from peeps who've fitted the 309 wishbones and whether it'll be worthwhile on a 205 with a std (lowered 25mm on Billies) rear beam. Until i can afford that Phase 2 rear beam, that is!

ANyone?

Also is the neg. camber on the front likely to cause any abnormal tyre wear?

C_W

Every 205GTi I've seen, even a lowered one looks like it could do with some negative camber because they are practically vertical, especially when you compared it with the back. Unusually, lowering the front doesn't induce much camber changes like it would on say a Ford Fiesta.

jacobs53

does the 309gti use the same subframe as the 205gti? If so this could be intresting

if it does, could you transfer all the drivetrain including suspension over to the 205? is the gearbox the same ratio's as the 205 1.9?

If so this is what im gonna use on my 205Gt this is gonna be funny.

cheers lee

Guest puggti

As far as im aware the gearboxes ratios are the same on the 309 and the 205!

base-1

205 1.9 and 309 GTi's use the same engine and box ;)

jacobs53

how about subframe, hubs, driveshafts, suspension, arb, the whole lot minus engine.

does it fit to a 205?

cheers lee

Guest doughboy
how about subframe, hubs, driveshafts, suspension, arb, the whole lot minus engine.

does it fit to a 205?

cheers lee

afaik, from that lot the only differences(from a 1.9 not a 1.6) are the arb and driveshafts.

yes, it should all fit a 205

jacobs53

cool off to find a scrap 309 gti for my little GT

cheers lee

pug_ham
cool off to find a scrap 309 gti for my little GT

Good luck, they are rarer than hens teeth round here. :(

I can confirm that the subframe is the same part number on the 309 as the 205, the extra width is in the wishbones.

What engine are you fitting into the GT? XU or TU? I think the gear change quadrant needs moving for the TU because it is in a different place to the XU, Rallye knows more about this though.

Graham.;)

jacobs53

fitting the XU 2.0 turbo

cheers lee - around birmingham no car is rare, always peuegots in the scrap yard by me.

Guest alexdeann

I've got a 309 GTi im more than willing to let someone have for free, i just want it gone!

Sam

Where are you alex and does it drive

Guest puggti

!!!hmm im seconds!!!

Rally always beats me to it, maybe you should be renamed Eagle Eye :P

:D^_^:D;)

Edited by puggti

jacobs53

check your PM alexdeann, definitly want the car if its still avaliable!

cheers lee -

Sam

I won't have room anyway go ahead people

jacobs53

if i get the car and u need a certain part off it, il save it for you rallye.

hope this helps

as long as it isn't

* the drivetrain

* the rear axle

* the suspension

any thing else just say, and its yours

lee

Guest Cookie

Did someone say FREE 309GTi????!!!!

If there are any problems getting rid then I have plenty of room and a trailer available.

Could even swing some beer money your way! Thats if I haven't been beaten to it.

Ps. I'm in Oxford - not far!

Edited by Cookie

Guest Cookie

alexdeann

I have tried to email you but cant get your address. If no-one has claimed the car then I'd be happy to take it off your hands. I could sort some transport (and some beer money as offered) out pretty soon if the offer is still there.

Cheers

Ian

crf450

I've got 309 shafts and wishbones fitted to mine but I'm not sure how much neg camber they give but I think my car would benefit from even more. I'd say using it on the road you would experience some uneven wear but on the track my car still wears the outside edge more than the inside.

Something else worth remembering is when fitting 309 bottom arms,if you fit a spacer between the CV joint and the wheel bearing you don't have to use 309 drive shafts as this will move the CV joint inboard enough to stop you popping a shaft out.

Cheers Martin

Snowman
Something else worth remembering is when fitting 309 bottom arms,if you fit a spacer between the CV joint and the wheel bearing you don't have to use 309 drive shafts as this will move the CV joint inboard enough to stop you popping a shaft out.

Martin,

Do you have any dimensions for the spacers? Would save a lot of messing about doing it this way.

Cheers,

Chris

crf450

I was looking at using spacers when I fitted my 309 bottom arms, but as a set of shafts came up cheap I didn't bother.

I was talking to a bloke the other day that had used spacers instead of longer shafts but didn't get chance to ask him the dimentions.I've have still got his number so I'll ring him back and ask.

I'd also say you would have to re-drill the CV for the split pin closer to the end or glue your nut on.

Cheers martin

Snowman

That would be useful- thanks Martin

I was thinking about the split pin hole too. Re-drilling it would be easy enough once the dimension was known.

Chris

Wurzel

Handy tip that, one I don't think many people have thought about (me included).

As long as the nut was in safety (at least one whole thread showing above the castellations) then you could get your dimension from the distance between the nut and hub bearing.

I guess it will only be a few mm but if it's enough...........

My only concern is that if the shafts can pop out, then the splined end that goes into the gearbox diff must only just be in and therefore prone to failure due to the reduced surface area that torque can be transmitted through

I wonder just by how much longer the 309 shafts are against the 205 items. I've got a set of 309 shafts in the garage and the 205 ones on the car but don't intend to rummage around the floor just at the moment.

Anyone else out there help??

Edited by Big Nick

crf450

I measured this at the time and I think is was about 22mm longer,but the spacer wouldn't have to be this long,I'd guess at less than half.

Cheers martin

Sign in to follow this