• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MiniGibbo

Minigibbos '87 1600 Gti

sensualt101

i think that shell is a great base car and i look forward to seeing you complete the rebuild :) its always nice to see another saved from the great scrapyard in the sky!

• Like 2

MiniGibbo

Thanks, I really want to crack on with it but am so busy at the moment it's hard to even find an hour :/

MiniGibbo

Spent another hour on the car today, started off buying trying to have the tank out.. Bolts underneath, easy.. jubilee clips on the down pipe not so much..

SAM_0490_zps0ce021ed.jpg

But a little elbow grease later and blam

SAM_0491_zps825c0c6a.jpg

Then went onto remove both sets of boot hinges to make sure they are interchangeable and I needed to swop them as the donor car's lid is a 1 hole.

Phase 1 vs 1.2/2

SAM_0494_zps026c430b.jpg

Finished off priming the inside of the boot lid

SAM_0495_zps76c7c392.jpg

More tomorrow I hope.

• Like 1

MiniGibbo

Another hour today and it saw me start stripping the seam sealer ready for welding...

SAM_0496_zpsb4f3f628.jpg

What a mess it makes :o

Comes off easy enough though, just need to organize a Saturday morning that works for both me and my engineering friend whos going to show me how to weld..

Got the first coat of white on the inner boot lid too

SAM_0497_zpsb3dbe16e.jpg

• Like 1

MiniGibbo

Spent another couple of hours this morning on the car, continued with removing seam sealer..

SAM_0501_zps7c475a18.jpg

SAM_0502_zps90e4a9ab.jpg

Im fairly sure ive got all the front seams covered but am a little lost with the back.. mainly here..

SAM_0503_zps26184102.jpg

Do I just go around the base of the boot floor or up the back joints too..??

advice please.

DamirGTI

Like this :

17759589b907f39c747cb1a3f7d211f4e37c8203

1775958861cd55722e1f7ce2a83e5d407cfd4147

17759587cea5ec30e838efdcb855d5805da21995

.. make an plate and weld it on the inside of the B pillar joint , and reinforce the on the outside of the B pillar joint where it joins the sill

177595928459b304e2a6593dd757851221448fa2

17759591d86d5c3fa53c94822819e3cbd49ed21b

... stretch the weld at the bottom a few cm to the rear as on the pic.

Also weld the corners of the sill to the front side frame (both sides)

17759590b09fea0cdb0455634bd07e846f06de8c

Weld by pulse welding , and if you have an air compressor - use it to cool down the weld/surface with the air blowing gun during the welding .

D

Edited by DamirGTI
  • Like 1

MiniGibbo

Thanks for that.. Never would of guessed about the bottom of the pillars or the plates.

What's the theory behind the plates..?

So the boot floor doesn't actually need to be done then or did you miss that off as I already mentioned it..?

DamirGTI

The plates on the insides/outsides of the B pillar will add stiffens in case of the side impact (and front as well) .. cos this is the weakest point on a 205 bodywork .

Personally , i wouldn't bother welding up the whole front and rear floor joints all around (OE seam sealer still looks in good nick so i would leave it alone .) .. just weld the both sills from the outside on the front corners to the front frame , and in the middle @ the B pillar joint .

D

MiniGibbo

Thanks, taken that all in.

Put another couple of hours into the car today, I think Ive completed prep on the cabin as can be seen here

SAM_0504_zpsb392d208.jpg

SAM_0505_zpsb1a51e82.jpg

SAM_0506_zps60bc0d76.jpg

SAM_0507_zps6e3e3d28.jpg

SAM_0508_zpse9e6c5c1.jpg

SAM_0511_zpsd2d38f84.jpg

Also found this...

SAM_0510_zps460c3522.jpg

And dug around on the known hole

SAM_0509_zpsa24d3d1a.jpg

Bit stuck though, looking around other seams.. do I need to do any of the higher pillar seams or the big fat one across the top of the bulkhead behind the dash..???

Hoping to start work on the engine bay seams over the weekend too..!!

welshpug

road or track car? for track car chop them flimsy seat mounts out, get a tubular seat mounting kit welded in :)

• Like 1

MiniGibbo

Dunno yet..

Was looking at putting some box section in to lower the seating position but I'm unsure if it would be worth the effort with the back corner mount being in the tunnel..

Surely if I fitted lower box section the seat would be pushed out from the tunnel.?

MiniGibbo

By "dunno yet"

I'm building it as a balls deep racer with no heaters and a light loom, but unsure if it'll actually make the track haha

welshpug

can always trim the tunnel down a bit, depends on the seat width and just how low you want to go really, the passenger seat can be shifter sideways a little to fit between sill and tunnel, further back than driver for visibility of course.

but the drivers seat often needs to sit on top or against a modified tunnel to line up with the steering wheel.

MiniGibbo

Yeah that was my thoughts about the steering position..

I'll give it some thought, I'm not fond of cutting the tunnel and making work for my self but replacing the front flimsy bar is defiantly something for the ideas box.

Tom Fenton

Once a cage is in unless you are a midget you will need to get the seat lower down as otherwise with a helmet on the top of your helmet is higher than the cage. Big accident then equals broken neck/back.

MiniGibbo

Yeah my head touches the roof In my rallye with a lid so I may have to bite the bullet and cut the tunnel then :/

qwerty

Your making good progress mate :) I never thought of fitting those strengthening plates in the b pillars, I'll be doing that.

How will the MOT go if you cut the tunnel and lower you seat, will this have any affect on you keeping it on the road if you want to?

Edited by qwerty

MiniGibbo

Yeah the plates make good sense when you think about it :)

Dunno, as long as its done to a high standard and strong. I don't see it causing a problem.

Zacky-94

It shouldnt make much. Diffrence to the mot side of things aslong as the seat is securely mounted and doesnt move you will be fine

Dai1983

Nice project.

I've seen similar but think I'm better off waiting for a car with more parts to it! I'd love a full cages up car but the horror stories of biting your I helmeted head on the bars is putting me off.

• Like 1

Guest Spitfire2k6

Very interested to see how this car turns out! What you planning for the interior? Stock seats and trim?

MiniGibbo

Been sat idle for a few weeks now as I have zero spare time for it..

Have been having serious thoughts though about loosing the red shell and just keeping the Miami car :/

Dai1983

Sorry, only realised how bad my spelling was. Bloody iphone!

MiniGibbo

To answer your question, I aimed for the lightest car possible and full track spec.

309jazzpanda

If its going to have a cage definitely get rid of the original seat mounts and get some bar in there.