• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
welshpug

Comms Issues With Dta And Usb Adapter.

welshpug

swapped jumpers around in old pc, slung in XP disc, BINGO.

392817_10151557955605985_530751792_n.jpg

YAY!

577402_10151558016170985_218787533_n.jpg

Got COM! with USB as well as Serial Port, looks like WIN7 is the issue, though would need to do a dual boot on the other PC or dan's laptop to confirm.

got the Injector and Coil test done.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/welshpug/8559745655/

• Like 1

Slo

What cable was identified as a prolific usb to serial cable?

No pot box in the equation currently, it has different pligs to the MEF Motorsport cables.

8554925303_3b1efe0d62.jpg

Think thats the right page?

welshpug

erm, the Prolific USB to Serial adapter, what else? :lol:

Edited by welshpug

Slo

The one you have has the ftdi chipset so there shouldnt be a problem.

Is it the same cable still?

welshpug

yeah, I have two, they are identical.

Slo

Does it still say prolific usb to serial in device manager?

A cable with an ftdi chipset is not a prolific s*itter

Prolific means straight wired with no management or handshaking

so whatever your computer is trying to talk to wont be able to interupt it if its busy and so on

Slo

Also winblows vista 7 and possibly 8 too wont install the proper ftdi driver it will install a general work out the box micros*it driver called prolific never get s*it to work driver, you have to manually download and install it

When i read all your replies to this it was on my email on my phone so i didnt see the pictures only the text

welshpug

I have the disc for the driver.

Slo

Also forgot to mention that you have to install the com port too it its a proper ftdi one does it have transmit and receive lights on it? It should have!

welshpug

I really don't understand what you are on about :unsure:

Slo

Nevermind to cut it short i think you have a cheap cable rather than an ftdi one OR you didnt have the proper driver installed for the usb cable AND the com port but you've sorted it now so who cares :lol:

welshpug

Cables both work fine, doesn't matter how much they cost, they worked, both came with a Driver disc.

NEITHER work on my WIN 7 pc, BOTH work on XP, one came from Maplin the other came from MEF motorsport, other than colour they are identical.

Dunno what you mean by FTDMI.

I'm not sorted actually, unless I can run my PC in the car ... :ph34r: Dan's laptop is WIN7 and gives the same errors as my WIN 7 PC.

welshpug

8560069799_c417246b0e_c.jpg

Slo

Get a good inverter in the fag lighter lol pc tower in a 205 great mod not. It wont work on vista or 7 out the box because they install a generic s*ite driver made by micros*it you have to manually install it (tell it where the driver is rather than let it scan (guess) or show it it) and as well as installing the cable you have to also install the com port you are actually trying to use with the same driver, well not actually the same driver but its in the same folder

a proper ftdi cable has a circuit board with a chipset to let the two ends communicate in a speak then listen manner,

rather than a connect the pins, like your 15 pin dsub to 9 pin serial for example, type of cable where both ends will just shout at each other

Go into your device manager and see what driver manufacturer the cable is using in its properties

Edited by Slo

welshpug

Any chance you can drop all the crap? Its hard enough trying to understand without throwing slang in!

I have manually installed the driver.

I don't understand why or how I have to "install the com port", I did not do that with the XP pc and it worked.

Slo

Is it a pl-2303 cable? I have just looked at this cable on maplins website and there is a link to the latest driver, have you tried to use it?

From their own q n a section..

The included driver doesn't work with Win7 but the Prolific driver here:
http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?id=31
works fine with my Win7(64bit). Hope this helps. Edited by Slo

luke1987

Glad you got this sorted, Im using the same cable ie.supplied by Martin Fox and running it on windows 8 and all seems to be fine.

welshpug

It is not sorted, its only working on an old pc with xp, i still have the same problem with my pc and dan's laptop.

welshpug

So...

Now I have my old PC up and running on XP, I thought I would have a go at creating a dual boot on my newer unit that is running WIN7.

Saved all my data to a second HD, created another Partition then cracked on, unfortunately I seem to have broken it quite well and lost WIN7, as well as encountering another issue.

Setup gets to this page:

8565383676_aa32ec54e4.jpg

Every time it hits 35 Minutes remaining I get this page:

8565385100_1ed2caee69_z.jpg

Stumped now, tried a different HD, different SATA sockets, swapped the RAM sticks over, there are no PCI cards fitted, nothing connected to USB ports.

I know age doesn't count for much, but the MB is 14 months old as is the RAM and PSU, HDD is a 500 Gb W-D Caviar, which oddly both PC's I have tried it in is showing capacity as 130Gb, Also have an older W-D 150 Gb unit.

DOH!

Edited by welshpug

Slo

Is this a pc or laptop you are trying to install it on? Is it dual core or quad core by any chance?

Edited by Slo

welshpug

its a PC, can't remember how many cores, 14 month old Gigabyte thing from Novatec.

NOVATECH MOTHERBOARD BUNDLE - AMD A4 3400 - 4GB 1333MHZ DDR3 - AMD A55 CHIPSET - ONBOARD INTEGRATED HD 6410D GRAPHICS

Rikky on 306gti6.com posted this link which seems to have narrowed it down a bit, but its a little beyond my capabilities.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/windows/hardware/ff560129%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Slo

Ok thats dual core so you will need an xp disc that has service pack 2 or 3 integrated into it. Easy enough to download by a torrent. That will be the blue screen. Xp came out before multi core cpu's and has no driver for it

welshpug

Left my PC with Dan's (DCC) Father, he started afresh with an XP SP2 which has solved the BSOD be the issue, my MB etc was not compatible with straight XP as commented on in the last post by Slo.

Purely out of curiosity I downloaded the prolific driver from their website (more up o date than the one that came on the included disc) then Downloaded DTASwin 66.01, powered up the ecu, Fired up DTAswin, changed the com port, bingo!

So I know its not a hardware issue or driver issue, just windows 7!

Slo

Sweet plain old xp cant install a multicore cpu as it has no driver for it and spaz's out. glad you got it sorted out welshy