• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
welshpug

Comms Issues With Dta And Usb Adapter.

welshpug

A pot box, not currently used to eliminate any diy errors, mef motorsport supplied the cable and adapter.

welshpug

Ffs, fed up of this now.

My bloody phone has better connectivity, and it cost less.

Sandy

I use Windows 7 with DTA no problem, I really think you've got a hardware issue. If you want to see nightmare compatibility/connectivity, try EFI!

Vili

Money :lol:

And the fact it would only be used a few times, whereas an USB adapter is compatible with anything, in theory...

And in practice they newer work with anything, believe me I've tried. Buy PCI serial card (or whatever the right name is) and you´ll get in business. I ended up buying old laptop and a new battery and it cost me less than one hour on the rollers.

edit: Some older but not ancient Fujitsu-Siemens laptops have the old com-port. That's what I have, Pentium 4m, 1mb RAM, XP and everything :blink:. The best option would be Panasonic Toughbook because I believe that even the new ones have the com-port, but negative side is that even the older ones tend to be bit expensive.

Edited by Vili

welshpug

Ive tried it with dan's laptop and get the same issues.

pugpete1108

Have you tried it on a direct serial port tho?

If it doesn't work with that then it would suggest an ecu fault?

You say it's brand new tho

welshpug

If i had a working serial port i would have!!

But i dont know anyone with a computer from the dark ages...

I have an old pc but no hd in it or any os discs that work.

I dont see why i should be doing all this pissing about for something sold after win7 or vista was released.

Edited by welshpug

Anthony

As per Sandy's reply above, DTA works fine with Windows 7 - hell, even the old pre S-series software for E48's etc works fine on Windows 7.

I stand by my offer before - either pop round when you're passing or send me the ECU and loom and I'll test it on my laptop and cable that I know works fine on DTA so you can narrow down where the issue lies. My gut feeling is still the USB adapter that you're using though.

I think I've got a USB-serial adapter or two here that I can test to see whether they're compatible and - assuming they are - post you one. I know that one of them definitely works with Emerald so presumably it should be fine with DTA, but I wouldn't be happy sending it to you without having plugged it in and tested it first as otherwise it would still be somewhat of an unknown.

welshpug

I'll have to make a trip over Anthony, what I dont get if it is WIN7 compatibe is why it didnt work with Dan's 6 month old laptop either, my install is about 2 months old, MB and PSU only a year old.

kyepan

just been to the dta forum, seen your thread!

Edited by kyepan

welshpug

yup, no answers on there either, just others with the same issue :(

• Like 1

kyepan

further to this, when i used to do games tech support, about ten (ha ha actually fifteen) years ago.

On windows 98, you could go into the hardware settings and look at the IRQ allocation, dma allocation, see what irq and dma settings were allocated, we used this often to get sound card conflicts resolved, where stuff should work, but just didnt.

IIRC, the ports also have an IRQ channel, look at what the usb port IRQ is on, check it's not sharing the port with another piece of hardware, and then re-allocate if necessary.

Secondly, apps designed for win xp may expecting to see a legacy com port IRQ, rather than 23.. it may be something more like 3-4

msinfo32 - will show you the current IRQ allocation.

Granted - you can really d*ck up your system messing about with irq... so don't do it unless you're comfortable with that. If 3-4 is free, then try reallocating the usb to that port

also, dont touch the hd / video / or anthing bus or motherboard related, as that will deffo not like it and the system may not boot, note the original ports and boot in safe mode if neccesary.

guide here.

http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-vista-tips/manage-irq-settings-windows-vista-7/

As you can see here, the usb shares the IRQ with an nvidia hardware item and is on 23... win 7

irqkx0.png

vs xp with a com port - 3+4

i_winXP_irq_chk_1.jpg

I should have replied before, but it only clicked today..

Edited by kyepan

kyepan

also - try it without the pot box first, just ecu to pc, to rule out anything else.

welshpug

No pot box in the equation currently, it has different pligs to the MEF Motorsport cables.

8554925303_3b1efe0d62.jpg

Think thats the right page?

Edited by welshpug

kyepan

Just to understand, your pc has not got a physical comport? and you're using a USB adapter?

or it does have a com port? and you're plugging in with no pass through cable?

either way you need to find and run msinfo32.exe

that should give you the screen you need.

kyepan

Understood, in that case, show the usb host adapter the DMA the com port would usually use (4) and see if you get any joy.

kyepan

hopefully editing the IRQ allocation might fool it.. if not this might be a better alternative

welshpug

URGH :wacko::blink:

8556836645_e67db13b89_c.jpg

kyepan

i take it com port 2 is not physically there?

welshpug

:huh:

• Like 1

kyepan

as in irq 4 - communications port (COM2)

but we already discussed this, so we know it's not.

alexcrosse

Get your old laptop out, put a HD in it and do an install. Have is as your mapping only laptop. Itll run nice and quick and you will never have any serial issues. Its a PITA using the adapters. Thank god for CAN ecu's!

On another note, price doesn't make any difference to if the serial adapters work, its complete luck of the draw.