• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
keithscossie

A Serious Project ?

keithscossie

Decisions have to be made soon, so its down to:

1. Fitting the Mi16 motor in the incorrect position in the rear and making it driveable, remove the 8v motor from the front.

2. Fitting most of the Mi16 motor in the correct position in the rear and not driveable, but keeping the 8v motor in the front so it can be driven.

3. Fitting a nissan N14 S21 ? motor in the rear and making it driveable.( I forget the exact Nissan engine numbers! ) ( my body guys preference as they are cheap and plentiful and he reckons he can make the cam covers with Peugeot on them rather than Nissan :( )

4. Finding the original running gear for a T16 and fitting it :( Yeh right ................. :(

Bearing in mind it wont be allowed on public roads, whichever option I decide on it will have the tilt up back end so all will be visible, and I'm not a millionaire :( , what do you experts recommend please ?

Cheers all.

Keith

Weser

In the end its your decision. I will throw my thoughts in though. Option 4 is pretty much impossible. Option 3 is a bit too much of a mask for me. Option 2 is a bit fake and seems probably the easiest but the most pointless in my view. This leaves option 1 which is the best in my opinion. Sticks with the peugeot theme and you have a car powered by the rear mount engine which will look the best I think.

Andy

Also I look forward to the project thread!

Edited by Weser

keithscossie

Thanks Andy, I also had a 1971 VW camper back in 1986, what a nightmare.

Took me 4 days to get 3 broken studs out of the exhaust ,on the driveway,on my ass, freezing cold, it was then I vowed, no more air cooled VW 's !!

Thanks for the comments.

• Like 1

Vili

If you're going to put the engine in the back, you may as well make it work. You should check the twin engine mi16 build. It shows fairly straight forward way of fitting the running gear in the boot. So I would say option 1 is the way to go.

welshpug

Option 4 will not be that hard to replicate, its a transaxle rotated 90 degrees with a diff up front and out back, very simple really.

From memory was actually based on a renault or citroen box, but a vw unit could be used but the front and rear diff ratios might be tricky due to the final drive of the transaxle.

camgti

Why not just find a T16 that is in need or some work and build that? Your looking at spending 30 000$ anyway at the moment and Im sure there will be one out there for not much more..

Cam

keithscossie

Cam, find me one please !

Seriously though, I have tracked one down in Belgium, but he wants over $70,000 plus costs to get it here and remember it will never comply for road legal in Oz so I think I'll go the easy way !

It will be driven at three shows max a year and have No resale value so I have to realistic, I could build a 1/ 8 th scale model and put it on display in the back of the TT Dimma but it would be better to have a life sized one !!

I've got to get the Cosworth ready for the show season fjrst so I have plenty of time to plan this.

Cheers

Keith

Weser

Thanks Andy, I also had a 1971 VW camper back in 1986, what a nightmare.

Took me 4 days to get 3 broken studs out of the exhaust ,on the driveway,on my ass, freezing cold, it was then I vowed, no more air cooled VW 's !!

Thanks for the comments.

off topic but I have to be honest my camper has really suprised me been one of the most reliable vehicles I have ever owned. I love working on it its so simple the only downside is the small engine compartment and the plugs are a real pain to change. Shame you had a bad time with yours. Saying that I havent had to touch anything to do with the exhaust yet!

keithscossie

off topic but I have to be honest my camper has really suprised me been one of the most reliable vehicles I have ever owned. I love working on it its so simple the only downside is the small engine compartment and the plugs are a real pain to change. Shame you had a bad time with yours. Saying that I havent had to touch anything to do with the exhaust yet!

And I hope you never do !

It was a very cold winter in the UK, 1987, just before we emigrated and I had to change the exhaust as it was blowing badly.

I seem to remember it hit a low of -23*C on the 4th of Jan ( I was on night shift and looked like the Michellin Man )

Anyway it was about a week later I had to fix the exhaust on the driveway, never again.

You know the situation, saving every penny ready to emigrate so had to fix it myself.....WRONG decision :(

Great bus for holidays though !

Cheers

Keith