• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
keithscossie

A Serious Project ?

keithscossie

Folks , I've been dreaming :)

I own both genuine 205 Dimmas in Australia, a 1.6 8v and a 1.9 8v Turbo Technics.

The TT stays as she is, my daily drive and a lot of fun, BUT I have the option of making the 1.6 Look like a T16 for show purposes only.

I have a great bodywork guy to do it, but whats involved?

I know It isn't rear engined etc etc, but I'm sure I can make it look pretty close enough to put it on show to " remind" people of the hey days of Group B

I'm not trying to con anyone, just wondering if it can be done without the rear engine, tail lift section, just the general overall look.

If anyone has a serious suggestion, I'm listening.

It will only go to about 3 shows a year ( we are pretty isolated here in Western Australia ) but there is a real interest in Rallying so I'm keen.

No knockers please, this is an expensive excercise for me and I just want to have some fun.

Drawings, detailed pics etc etc are what I need.

All show no go !!

Cheers

Keith

dcc

personally - don't try and make it into something it isn't.

For it to be a show car, you'll end up with people saying 'why has that person tried to make it look like a t16'...

• Like 2

Vili

Do it, it's going to look great. Here is one that was built couple of years ago in Finland.

205_1.jpg

• Like 2

GLPoomobile

My 2 cents worth:

If it's only 1 of 2 genuine Dimmas in Aus, then I think you are a mad fool for considering ruining 1 of them. Sell it to another 205 enthusiast who can appreciate it for what it is.

Are you planning to do this properly and make it look like an authentic T16 on the outside? Or are you proposing another of those half arsed homages - paint a Dimma white and stick some rally livery on it and try to pass it off as a T16? If it's going to just be a white stickered up Dimma then I doubly think you are a mad fool.

My criticism is meant with the best of intents and I'm not having a go at you personally ;)

P.S. if you sticker it up and call it a T16 I think Baz might book a flight to Aus and hunt you down :lol:

Edited by GLPoomobile
  • Like 1

keithscossie

I was actually thinking about the yellow Vartinen / Giroux, Camel option !

Ok guys thanks for the input.

The main reason for thinking about this is I have a Ford Sierra Cosworth 3dr that I take to shows etc, and i was thinking it would be interesting to have one of the " opposition" sitting next to it.

No other reason.

I have the TT Dimma and was wondering what to do with the other one, thats why I asked this question.

I shall put the thinking hat on for a while and consider.

Your input is much appreciated.

Cheers

Keith

welshpug

I think an F2000 type would be more fitting if it stays FWD.

Vili

I really can't see why what is the problem for you guys in making the Dimma something that reminds you of original T16. Of course it's not actually T16, but no-one claims it to be. It is just a tribute to great days of group-B rallying. What I find really hard to understand why painting the car up with some color and putting some historically correct stickers to it would ruin the car. Mind you that Dimma was originally built to be half assed copy of the real thing.

I still think you should do it Keith, no matter what some people might say. We have too little sun here in Europe and that's why we are so uptight and serious about things. :D

• Like 1

Vili

If you want a really serious project, then there's always the option to build it properly. But then I would advice to use base model shell and take a copy of your bodykit.

3870.JPG

Edited by Vili

keithscossie

I really can't see why what is the problem for you guys in making the Dimma something that reminds you of original T16. Of course it's not actually T16, but no-one claims it to be. It is just a tribute to great days of group-B rallying. What I find really hard to understand why painting the car up with some color and putting some historically correct stickers to it would ruin the car. Mind you that Dimma was originally built to be half assed copy of the real thing.

I still think you should do it Keith, no matter what some people might say. We have too little sun here in Europe and that's why we are so uptight and serious about things. :D

Thanks Vili :)

I have a Ford Sierra RS 3dr Cosworth, ex Ford press car, and I know the value of historical accuracy.

I even have magazine articles from 1987 showing my actual car being thrashed around the tracks in the UK.

But.... I have the chance to show people here in the most isolated city on Earth the Group B legacy !

Back then I was a 30 something year old with young kids and a desire to drive a proper Rally Car, but no money.

I still dont have any money but I have enough to have a bit of fun.

I intend to paint the1.6 Dimma Renault Liquid Yellow anyway which is pretty close to the Dakar / Pikes Peak yellow and thought, hell why not go all the way ?

I fancy having the Cossie, the TT Dimma and a Dakar replica in a line at the three main shows we have a year here.

So if anyone has info, advice, input on this possible project I'm all ears.

Of course I could go the whole hog and do a Pikes Peak replica :)

Please no negativity, life's too short and I rescued this car from the grave.

Cheers

Keith

keithscossie

Its looking like I do a Pikes Peak replica as first choice with a Paris/Dakar as the second choice build.

I'm looking for detailed drawings to match the photos I have found around the net and I'd also like to contact others who have built a similar replica.

I'm looking for a source of fibreglass body parts, ie bonnet, spoilers etc etc.

I have the luxury of the two Dimma body shells to work with and as the oldest one needs a fair bit of TLC then it suggests itself to take the role of the replica.

It's all a bit of fun, not a serious attempt to " con" people into thinking its the real thing ( well its right hand drive so it cant be real ! ) but an attempt to portray a classic car of the Group B era.

In that light I'd appreciate advice, help etc to produce this " whim" of mine !

OR if someone knows the location of a genuine one for sale at a sensible price then............................. oh well I can dream :)

Here in Australia, no one knows anything about cars that are not Ford or Holden, lets try an educate them to the real motoring experience !

Cheers All

Keith

welshpug

If you do dakar are you going to add a foot or so to the wheelbase? :D

Cameron

f*** the haters. Do you honestly care what a couple of grumpy sods in the UK think? 99% of people will love the car for being a Group B replica and the other 1% aren't worth wasting your time thinking about.

I think back to the amount of questions / jabs I got when I first started building my project, and if I had listened to any of them it wouldn't have ended up half as interesting as it is now. You're always going to get people poking fun or asking what the point is, but frankly that's because they don't understand your reasoning, your ideas, or your situation.

Do whatever the hell you want with it, you sound like you're capable of putting in the money / effort to do a good job. :)

• Like 1

sean-G

go for it matey,i am ;)

shooter mcgavin

Do it, it's going to look great. Here is one that was built couple of years ago in Finland.

205_1.jpg

What kit is this it looks great, I'm about to halt my Miami project and build this

shooter mcgavin

What kit is this it looks great, I'm about to halt my Miami project and build this

Anymore pics of this car

Edited by shooter mcgavin

Vili
kuuner

knock yourself out, Keith, if you're planning to built a real look-a-like: http://www.pitlanemotorsport.com/shop/en/242-peugeot-205-t16

But if you're planning to take your Dimma as basis, maybe this is more interesting for you: http://www.mcracingsa.com/PEUGEOT205.htm#PEUGEOT_205_DE_BASE

Frankly (as a Dimma owner), I do can appreciate a Dimma T16 look-a-like. In matter of fact a very good friend of mine has one. Without the pts stickers, but only with some little decals referring to that great icon of the Group B.

Another friend of mine has bought a T16 replica a few weeks ago. This one was a simple 1.1 without a Dimmakit. The seller build it as a replica, using original 205 parts and Dimma parts for the front- and backvallance. The rearquarters are Dimma, but slightly adjusted. Sideskirts weren't mounted, because a T16 doesn't have them too.

It's how radical you want to adjust your Dimma? Do you want a Dimma with genuine decals? or do you want to a T16 copy as much as possible based on your Dimma? In the last option i would cut the backvallance and mount a vallance of another kit in front. Like the frontvallance of ATC Monte Carlo, Kustomorphose or a Ice Motorsport kit in combination with some goodies of the second url.

kuuner

some photo's for inspiration.

Dutch Kustomorphose Turbo16 replica. Frontvallance is more T16 based.

GroteFoto-V7B3FHZS.jpg

GroteFoto-HQE3366B.jpg

100% Dimma with a few decals

GroteFoto-XJMVDIG8.jpg

Dimma with full T16 decals

GroteFoto-7NXHUDYE.jpg

Dimma T16 Dakar style

GroteFoto-K3CLFA4V.jpg

T16 based 205 with Dimma components. No sideskirts and shortened backvallance.

GroteFoto-8VB3GLVU.jpg

GroteFoto-XU3Y8KTI.jpg

Dimma with modified quarterpanels and frontvallance

GroteFoto-YI4NSLTN.jpg

Edited by kuuner

sean-G

Great pics!!

keithscossie

Guys,

thank you so much for your efforts and pics, truly inspiring.

I had decided to use the Dimma kit as much as poss and to fit a "dummy" motor etc in there for the effect.

I'm now considering a full tilt up rear using as much as poss of the Dimma, but fabricating the rear section to tilt.

Remember .. this is not going to be a road going vehicle if I go that far, just a trailer girl !

All show and no go, but it will be still driveable when off the public roads ie showground stuff.

Im really looking for rear end pics of the T16 and anyones attempts at replicating them.

Trying to get a feel for the mechanics of lifting up the back end.

Keep the inspiration coming.

I'm looking at August 18th as a target date as its the Targa rallye here that weekend and I'd love to have it next to my 3dr Sierra Cossie on display!

keithscossie

Incidently, I've decided on going the Pikes Peak way, yellow and all the spoilers.

If you are going to make a mess, make it a big one !!!

keithscossie

My hero !!!!

Thanks