• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Slo

Got The 2.0 Turbo In At Last But Lots Of Problems

welshpug

Obd.

Slo

Ahh thats it remember now it used to poke out of the ecu housing and clip onto the bank of test points thanks wp

Slo

Well i really cant be arsed with this conversion anymore getting absolutely nowhere bought an intercooler and oilcooler and neither will fit anywhere pfff

IMG_20130506_211324_zpsa91589cc.jpg

Slo

Bit the bullet and bought the proper gear for the job and made a pretty good job if I say so myself so far, everything's connected at the front anyway apart from the bumper as I need to paint it and the auto bonnet...

To start off i cut the entire centre of the fan cowling out as there was no way the original fan was ever going to fit it's just far too fat

IMG_20130514_125845_zps63d610bc.jpg

Was amazed when i stuck the bumper over it only had to trim a tiny amount on the bumper grill aperture inside

IMG_20130514_125828_zps1c60b47b.jpg

Just got this sweet little slimline 10 inch fan for £20 delivered and the oil cooler even fitted with the braided hoses i bought with it although it is quite tight

IMG_20130522_193524_zps96bce601.jpg

I'm well impressed with how stealthed it all is, can't wait now

IMG_20130522_195111_zps70559300.jpg

welshpug

I reckon you should get the shiny alloy bits done in black, make it a bit more :ph34r:

m_attt

what intercooler is that mate, and were from? cheers

Slo

Mmm i was thinking of stealthing it with black same as the crappy cossy cooler is wp. It's a universal one off ebay matt it's a very good fit, had to arse around with the boost pipes though, came with two U bends - cuts out 4 elbows in 1 go, also got a T piece today to connect the idle air control circuit getting there :unsure:

Ebay links

Fan

Oil cooler

Intercooler

Idle control valve T piece

Edited by Slo
  • Like 1

m_attt

thanks, looks really good. From experience though i would get some beads pressed or welded around the ends of all the tubes otherwise when you floor it you will hear pop pop pop as they all come off.

Slo

yes I had that once when it was in my 605 forgot to tighten the 45 degree one on the nearside and it popped off with a sonic boom and took out the heater matrix not the kind of thing you want doing 70 in winter and instant steamy windows lol cheers mate

Slo

Trying to sort out the wiring and not having much luck. I can spin the starter over if I connect pin 1 of the green relay to the battery live with a drill bit but the opposite side which is pin 5 goes to (according to my multimeter anyway) this plug wire number 46. It comes out of the loom next to the multi plugs coilpack ignition amp ecu live feed, the grey wire number 176 I cant seem to trace anywhere and its been so long since I took this engine out i dont remember what this plug went to.

IMG_20130613_183755_zps61bf5c66.jpg

Also getting a high drain when connecting just the battery terminals without anything else connected. Just my luck as everything is brand new :angry:

Anyone got any ideas please?

pugdamo

Is it anything to do with the air con?

What year was your 605?iv got loads of dealer wiring manuals but none of them have my engine in,if yours is an older 605 it will have yours so i can find out for definate when im at work tomorrow if your still stuck.Glad your still at it,i had my first drive up the road in mine,just need a fan and some powdercoating to smarten it up,my main headache is trying to sort an air intake that will look nice.

Slo

It hasnt got aircon and it never did but oddly its got the purple air con relay and i can see that wire 46 is for the aircon relay so why my multimeter is saying its connected to the starter relay is beyond me and no i havent altered any wiring. Except for extending the ecu part its all completely original. Its a phase 1 605 SVTI with manual box so its extremely rare, well it was before i crushed it lol

It was registered on 21/12/93 L reg which is unusual as all 200 were registered on that date

Edited by Slo
  • Like 1

Slo

Bodged it today with a thick live feed to the wire 46 on the brown plug above and earthed out the brown wire 3 that goes between the multiplug and the ecu and it runs.

Got quite a lot of teething trouble though as the keypad wont lock, not that that's a problem but it will be if it locks in future and im unable to unlock it because its wired wrong.

pugdamo

Had a look in my wiring books and iv got the diagrams for yours,In the 2 pin plug wire 46 is to the starter solenoid and wire 176 goes to the purple connector for cars with aircon.Anymore you want to know keep em coming,its better than watching corrie,emmerdale or eastenders,lol.

Slo

Cheers damian it was the other side what it connects to i was interested in. 46 is the feed for the coil, starter, throttle body heater and aircon relay. Main wires im struggling with are the keypad wires as there's only 3 on the diagram but there are a few more including an earth and each one has a different affect on its status like flashing red for when the cars locked, status (red or green) at turn on or both for error. I assume that the remote central locking module used to relay these wires on and off originally ( I still have that too but Im not even going to attempt to connect that up).

I've got absolutely hundreds of random pictures of this conversion and other work i've done to the car and likewise hundreds of wires to ID do you have the full wiring loom list of numbers for the whole car?

Its quickly become obvious to me that the wires are numbered differently (ie 41,41a,41b etc) on each side of every connecter, also colours vary as well and these two points are what is making it difficult.

Nearly there now though :/

Edited by Slo

pugdamo

All the diagrams iv got show 46 going to the starter solenoid,if you had a permanent live to the starter solenoid it would be cranking all the time??The coil and throttle body heater and o2 sensor heater come from pin 1 on the double relay wire 65.Im guessing mine must be wrong diagram aswell.

The keypad is

pin 1 batt + (1R)

pin 3 ECU pin 50 (8CS at keypad 50CS at ECU)

pin 4 ECU pin 13 (18CE at keypad 13 at ECU)

pin 5 cranking signal (46D)

pin 9 central locking control unit (202D)

pin 11 door locking solenoids (400B)

pin 13 ign+ (32D)

pin 14 pin 3 double relay (32AD)

pin 15 earth (M1D)

Slo

Wow that explains why the keypad wont lock then 1R batt not connected :lol: . Dont suppose you have the pinouts for the speed sensor module too do you? Oh and the fuel computer too if possible??? :)

Edited by Slo

Slo

Almost there now just got the wiring to tidy up in the car and heater matrix to connect up and jobs a good un. Bumper and valance painted, new driving lamps fitted, even got my new master cylinder, new brake pipes and swampys braided brake hoses fitted on the front today. Keypad and immobiliser working properly now, it starts and runs and idles but it's a bit sluggish to rev up and misfires, I haven't added the lambda yet is this possibly the cause?

IMG_20130618_132212_zpsb40eff10.jpg

• Like 1

Slo

All sorted taxed insurance updated and legal. Took me 6 months to do this was it worth it? Yes would I do it again not a chance.

IMG_20130709_143028_zpsbd6e98b6.jpg

IMG_20130709_143040_zps70b4c11f.jpg

• Like 1

Anthony

Glad that you've finally got to the bottom of all the issues, and - hopefully - it'll prove worth all the work and headaches :)

Slo

Cheers anthony Well i cracked the bubbly out too soon ever few starts it pops and spits and misfires like crazy and eventually cuts out then next start its mint very frustrating even when its misfiring a quick flick off and back on and its fine

Slo

Now sorted it was running rough because the lambda wasn't fitted, welded a boss in today and engine tune has changed no random k light anymore and more to the point not a misfire in sight happy sunny days :wub:

Slo

Now mot'd too and got to deal with ride height problems. All front suspension is gti spec and new all rear is still all the old bog standard cti crap. Handling is still superb however you can really tell that the weight is there now, so much so that its lost that much height at the front the 1.9 allys with lo profile tyres on were starting to rub on the arches behind the gti trims so swapped over to the 1.6 peppers to get the mot done but i don't like em so wanting the 1.9's back on.

So anyone got any advice on what to do about this? New springs on the front wont be any higher than what they are now. I've thought about cutting the lip of the wings off neatly and then just lowering the rear but the rears seem to have scuffed at some point too not that i noticed when though.

IMG_20130727_205855_zpsf8b50213.jpg

DamirGTI

Does look strange low on the front side ..

Worn struts/strut mounts maybe ?

D

Slo

Its cos of the weight D suspension designed to carry a nice light tiny ally lump now cradling a stonking cast iron lump with gti6 cast iron pas bracket and top mount. Wonder if i put the old cti springs on the gti struts it will make any difference are they the same? Seems a bit odd how normally the cti has 4x4 like suspension and gti not no? Oh and ive been advised to fit front bump stops to prevent the front wheels rubbing so that will be first thing to try

cheers

Edited by Slo