• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Jemehan

205 Fuel Pump Choices

Rjuhar

In service box it says it's for TU engine.

Will Eastman

I have just fitted a 255 fuel pump and am having some problems. When starting the car it turns over quite a few times before catching. Once started though it runs fine n doesnt skip a beat. It wasnt doing this before fitting the pump, any ideas?

mastakilla

mine works fine so far, never more than half a second to start from cold. I have replaced the regulator too, but I don't think it is the cause of your problem.

Edited by mastakilla

Will Eastman

I don't see how it could be anything else. It's very confusing! The car was starting fine before the pump was fitted. Do you think the regulator could be struggling with the extra time pressure? Thanks

Will Eastman

I don't see how it could be anything else. It's very confusing! The car was starting fine before the pump was fitted. Do you think the regulator could be struggling with the extra time pressure? Thanks

• Like 1

mastakilla

From my limited knowledge, I'd say that your symptoms can be because of a faulty check valve, which is located in the pump itself.

But to my suprise, it seems that the 255 LP has the check valve, while the 255 HP (which I have), does not...

welshpug

does the system prime ok?

Will Eastman

nope, well I thought the mi16 only primes when cranking so cant exactly hear. What is this check valve thing. Its odd when it doesnt start it just keeps cranking with nothing (as if its getting no fuel at all) but then once it does start it runs perfectly. Its almost as if the pump failing to get going?

Will Eastman

Oh and mines a walbro 255 lph

Will Eastman

Been reading about online and seems i must have a pump without a check valve, so im not maintaining any pressure in the fuel line. Im going to add an inline non return valve ontop of the tank and add a fuel pump priming button too. Thanks for the help guys.

welshpug

I have just received one today for my ph2. Looks like a little wiring to work out on top of the pump, but you can take all the components from the Bosch one and fits straight on the walbro. I got a walbro gss342, advertised for mr2 but they all seemed the same so I got this one, ill be fitting it in a bit...

that'll be this one.

http://www.glencoeltd.co.uk/in-tank-fuel-injection-pump-255lph-pump-only-851/#

I don't recall what a ph2 pump unit looks like, but it'll probably need some sleeving if its like any other walbro unit I've fitted, they're all much narrower than Bosch units.

as it happens, its the same unit I got from Alex at Torques for a decent amount less.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160822659270

works fine in my zx once I got around a few issues with the fitting, the thick foam sleeve would have been useful, fuel attacks anything rubber you use!

Edited by welshpug

welshpug

Thought I'd add some pictures of a pre 1990 fuel pump assembly and some dimensions, to help with choosing a replacement.

Complete unit, I think there may be a part missing off the base, had it kicking about for a long time, I know there are two clips missing, one from the rubber connector to the plastic housing inside on the feed, and one around the lower part of the body to clamp the pump in place.

16968358515_1b8acea0b3_c.jpg

closer detail.

16782158509_5a6dc1a20b_c.jpg

the dooberry connecting the pump feed to the main cradle & outlet.

16967410681_266195f169_c.jpg

bare pump unit.

16348255443_72d8dc6704_c.jpg

Dimensions

16782141249_3ca7140764_c.jpg

upper feed connection.

16348246283_6247492fbe_c.jpg

• Like 1

welshpug

looking back at the recommended replacement units, both will be a little bit of an arse to fit due to not having a central outlet, and being much shorter

Tom Fenton

Funnily enough I am on with this at the moment, trying to fit a Walbro 255 into the standard pump housing.

As Welshpug says its a bit of an arse due to the pump outlet being central on the Bosch but offset on the Walbro. I cannot see how some of the folk who say they have fitted this pump straight in have done it short of just attaching the outlet and leaving it to dangle in the cradle? The foam pump sleeves supplied would not be much use either as they are just a concentric sleeve.

As there seems to be nothing off the shelf I am on with making a solution.

Some pics to illustrate the difference to add to those above.

9656B60A-1566-49C8-BEC1-87627414BF5E_zps

Walbro 255 GSS342 versus standard Bosch pump. As you can see diameter is a lot smaller, outlet is offset

D450912C-D21C-4D2E-B0A7-F0412C375F8D_zps

Offered into the standard cradle, the outlet will fit to the top rubber adaptor, but that's it!

094784F1-DC59-46CD-A4F4-102EA6F57ED0_zps

Eccentric adaptor sketched up, need to order some material and fire up the lathe to make it.

SweetBadger

They are a direct fit for the ph2 pumps and pump housings.

I just replaced mine and it was very straight forward - the later pumps are central to the pump housing and only slightly larger in diameter than the walbro 255

Here's a pic of it fitted to a ph2 pump housing:

5A16BE00-D378-47CE-9321-3BF1E8476628.jpg

Tom Fenton

Thats interesting. The beige colour fuel pump and housing must be a phase 2 one, whereas the black ones are all phase 1 / 1.5.

Typically I have 3 fuel pumps kicking about all phase 1/1.5!

dcc

what walbro pump is that you have fitted Alex? looks different to the 1 I have just ordered for a p2 pump

welshpug

I believe you can still get a bosch replacement unit, but at lots more £££

SweetBadger

It's the GSS342 - bought it off ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160514584060?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The only tricky thing with it was that the pump outlet didn't line up with the pump housing outlet, so I had to bend the small connecting fuel pipe in an S shape (as per the original pipe).

I think the GSS340 might be a better option as it has a central pickup, so would allow you to rotate the pump round so the outlet was in line with the pump outlet: http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/855535490_1/Walbro-Fuel-Pump-255lph-GSS340-for-NISSAN-SUBARU-free-Shiping.jpg

The GSS340 and GSS342 are exactly the same pumps, only the inlet varies.

welshpug

Nice work Tom, oh to have a lathe at home to play with!

It "looks" like its a lot shorter than the 10mm you said?

this is the one dimension I forgot to take note of earlier, so here it is.

16986471706_d84b7a1656_c.jpg20150402_200505_LLS by WELSHPUG, on Flickr

Tom Fenton

I wasn't happy with the height so have extended the high pressure line inside to drop the pump down some more. See the other thread. I was trying to avoid extra joints in the line but it was unavoidable in the end.

Ballyafb

I wasn't happy with the height so have extended the high pressure line inside to drop the pump down some more. See the other thread. I was trying to avoid extra joints in the line but it was unavoidable in the end.

Hi,

Where is the other thread you refer to?

I am fitting a shorter low pressure fuel pump in a phase 1.5 but was wondering if the electrical terminals are OK to be submerged. Trying to figure a solution so I have a low pressure in tank pump to feed the swirl pot (not like these boys cheating with using the standard pump).

Thanks

EDIT - Sorry I found the other thread. That eccentric spacer is exactly what I need. Still not happy that the electrical terminals of the pump are then submerged in fuel!

Edited by Ballyafb