• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Castorkid

Importance Of Sprung To Unsprung Ratio

allanallen

Just going over what I've said already to be honest, eibach springs are around 130lb so not much stiffer than the standard spring rate which is around 110, you really don't want to be going softer

Just for the record I'm running a very similar set-up on my road rally car -

rear 21tb/19arb grpA billies

Front 180lb standard dia springs,17mm arb, challenge billies

It works really well, nicely balanced but it's harsh on the road, it gets better/smoother the quicker you go if that makes sence. This is standard or possibly a bit higher ride height. I'd be interested to try it on road tyres as I've only ever run it on stiff side walled, soft treaded knobblies.

My charged 205 runs completely standard suspension other than eibachs and a 24mm rear arb and that's fantastic, slight bit of oversteer but really controllable and lovely on the rough roads round me.

Castorkid

Allan what dampers do you use on your charged 205 are they OE peugeot ones or bilstein?

Batfink

My charged 205 runs completely standard suspension other than eibachs and a 24mm rear arb and that's fantastic

just a clue. If he's running Bilstein B4 or original fronts it really does not matter.

Tom Fenton

If he's running Bilstein B4 or original fronts it really does not matter.

I would beg to differ with that, yes on paper the B4 has similar damping rates to the OE Peugeot, however in practise the standard Peugeot fare although once top notch are by now 20 years old and much the worse for wear. I have fitted B4's to a few cars now, and the difference over standard Peugeot (tired) dampers really is night and day.

allanallen

My fronts are original 205 items, they're a decent pair but I'd imagine they're getting on a bit!

Castorkid

So finally thanks one and all for the tips and advice, here's the plan:

Fit standard torsion bars back in

Keep the 23mm rear arb

Fit challenge rear dampers back in

Purchase some bilstein B4s and fit them with my eibach lowering springs and front 17mm arb

Raise rear to be 10mm higher than front

Save up for some light wheels and brake bits

I'll post up how I get on.

Cheers

Nick

Castorkid

In the end, I took a trip to see Andy at AB Motorsport for some set up work and I can only describe him as a genius! Confidence in the handling has been fully restored.

In the end we went for the following set up:

Front on Eibach 30mm lowering springs, Group N Bilsteins and standard Gti front ARB

Rear on 21mm PTS torsion bars (cheers BAZ), Tarmac rear dampers and a standard GTi rear ARB

Matching front and rear ride heights.

Thanks for all your previous input.

Cheers

Nick

Mac Crash

I've used 55 profile tyres a lot on my white 205, to be honest there is hardly any noticeable difference, having said that they were Dunlop Direzzas that have a stiff sidewall, if you put a 55 tyre with a soft sidewall on I am sure there would be a difference.

How come you're on 55 profile tyres?

I just bought 4 x 195/55/15's A048R's because they were going for half the price of new ones, they're used but all still have over 4mm tread left, haven't tried them on the car yet as I've been working and messing about with spare wheels for putting them on, do you think there will be any issues with rubbing, Tom? as you've used them... car is 1.9 standard ride height... if anything shouldn't they make the suspension a little more compliant over the 50 profiles?

P.S I did need new tyres anyway, car is currently on the perishing Slovakian rubber that it came with when I bought it over a year ago

Edited by Mac Crash
  • Like 1