• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Carbs4me

Biggest Brake Setup On A 205

stu8v

Discs on the wrong way round.

They will no doubt crack too as they have been drilled.

Other than that they look great.

• Like 1

Cameron

Dammit you beat me to it! :lol:

As above you need the cooling vanes to face the other way so that air is pumped out from the centre, not in.

• Like 1

Jez G

AP Racing discs on the Elise are all like this there is only one casting! If it helps the other side is on correctly. It actually makes very little difference as the air flow is minimal. I don't use my car on the track so I'm not too worried by the drilling. The OE discs are very cheap and the standard calipers are readily avalible. Mine had the Lotus logos removed and where painted red by AP Racing.

brumster

Only one casting?! You mean they have directional vanes the same on left and right hand sides?! Come on...... :) if that's the best AP can come up with, then that's it, I'm going Alcon....

Edited by brumster

Cameron

Yeah that seems a little weird to me! All other AP discs are directional.

welshpug

sounds weird, surely they would do a left and right disc if they do have this functionality? sounds like someone has given you two left hand discs and are fobbing you off?

Jez G

sounds weird, surely they would do a left and right disc if they do have this functionality? sounds like someone has given you two left hand discs and are fobbing you off?

Yeah that seems a little weird to me! All other AP discs are directional.

Only one casting?! You mean they have directional vanes the same on left and right hand sides?! Come on...... :) if that's the best AP can come up with, then that's it, I'm going Alcon....

These are not light weight racing discs but OE road car discs. I agree it is more important for racing applications to have the correct cooling. These are made to a price, not like the racing world where performance is everything. As I work for AP Racing I assure you I haven't been 'fobbed of'.

For what I use my car for this is a good option to replace the worn out front calipers. The increase in performance huge. If you want a full on racing solution there are lots of kits around that will suit. This lot cost me £70 for the brackets and £60 for a car set of braided hoses so you can see the attaction.

edit for the rubbish spelling...

Edited by Jez G

Cameron

It just seems weird to me that they wouldn't use straight vanes if they weren't having directional discs.

Jez G

It just seems weird to me that they wouldn't use straight vanes if they weren't having directional discs.

Cooling is mostly about area not air flow. Unless you have some forced air cooling I.e.ducts the direction of the vains makes very little difference. Curved vains give more surface area. Logistics and cost are just as important to the vehicle manufacturer as a small increase in performance.

omega

Standard Lotus Elise Ø288 x 26 discs modified to suit the 205 hub and Elise calipers. Custom brackets. All fits under the standard 1.9 wheel with no spacers. I am currently using Ferodo racing pads. I agree the weight has changed the streering slightly but nothing compared to the improved stopping power.

Edited to add : I think BG Developements are looking at making some of these kits.

well it looks a good set up to me and as i run standard 1,9 wheels on a road car .the only thing that puts me off is custom brackets,did you get them made yourself?,what are they made from? as you cant take chances with these things

• Like 1

Cameron

One part for both sides: straight vanes.

One part for each side: curved vanes.

I'm not calling you (or more the person who sold them to you) a liar, I'm just saying it's weird AP didn't follow their usual logic.

kyepan

Still though, in reality turbos have to run at upwards of fifty thousand rpm to create significant air flow, granted this is a bigger impellor but it's probably only travelling at about 900rpm at 60mph.

That's assuming my maths is correct, which it usually isn't.

Edited by kyepan

kyepan

Based on a 15 inch wheel with total diameter of 20 inches

Edited by kyepan

welshpug

naah you're out a little bit, its 23" for a typical 205 wheel.

Powers

You can use 206 gti180 discs with the AP lotus/VX220 calipers. We have sold a few of these setups. The only downside is you need 6mm spacers on standard wheels.

However you can buy standard discs off the shelf.

Edited by Powers

Jez G

well it looks a good set up to me and as i run standard 1,9 wheels on a road car .the only thing that puts me off is custom brackets,did you get them made yourself?,what are they made from? as you cant take chances with these things

The brakets are based on these with the offset adjusted to suit my discs. I thickened them up a little in the middle. http://forum.205gtid...howtopic=115988

They are made from HE15 TF, and in terms of thickness they now look much like all AP Racing brakets.

There are somemore pictures here if you are interested. http://myweb.tiscali...pug/peugeot.htm

Edited by Jez G

Jez G

One part for both sides: straight vanes.

One part for each side: curved vanes.

I'm not calling you (or more the person who sold them to you) a liar, I'm just saying it's weird AP didn't follow their usual logic.

Straight vanes = less efficient

One part for each side = twice the part numbers, twice the storage, a larger factory, increased tooling, increased overheads and a more expensive Lotus all for a fraction of a percent of performance.

It happens quite a lot these days.

Edit: must learn how to spell pefore posting not afterwards!

Edited by Jez G

Cameron

Edit: Nevermind.. don't feed the trolls. :ph34r:

Edited by Cameron
  • Like 1

Toddy

Deroure provide OE parts for lotus cars

Elise S1 part number is the same for all discs http://www.deroure.com/diagrams.asp?TBL=1281&MAK=1&MDL=13&SMA=0&SMO=0&ST=&SC=0

Elise S2 part number is the same for all discs http://www.deroure.com/diagrams.asp?TBL=1394&MAK=1&MDL=14&SMA=0&SMO=0&ST=&SC=0

Elise S2 AP Brake option these are handed http://www.deroure.com/diagrams.asp?TBL=2099&MAK=1&MDL=22&SMA=0&SMO=0&ST=&SC=0

What discs have you used S1, S2 or VX220?

Where did you get the brackets made?

O/T I see from your blog that you have used a track control arm from GSF, I found most parts are poor quality I prefer ECP.

Cheers

oonip

Check out the Mclaren MP4-12c brakes, drilled discs will not crack even with heavy road use if done correctly and the disc is a good quality material. On a race car it's rarely seen due the large thermal cycling going on,

As Jez has said the lotus disc's are non rotational but are curved vane, you end up with a better cooling disc at the same price as a straight vane disc.

brumster

Well, the final part of my christmas present to myself finally turned up last week (the discs)...

IMG_20130127_143013%2520%25281024x768%25

It's not the biggest setup you could get, granted, but the 295mm discs and R2 calipers just about fit under my motorsport rims. Certainly unlikely they'd go under a standard 1.9 rim. Off tomorrow to get the bells and calipers sorted... can't wait to try 'em out this year :)

• Like 3