• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Carbs4me

Biggest Brake Setup On A 205

Carbs4me

Whats the biggest size i can go..

I want drilled and grooved regardless i used to have a set on my old 205 and they where far superior than the ones i have now which are the brembo flat faces.

these are what i have been looking Clicky i did see a set for a 307Gti some time ago which i prefered to these. if i was to go down the road of these my question is clearance in the wheel is there enough? im guessing i would need the 307 Gti calipers to go with them (hoping they fit my hub) would my master cyclinder/brake servo be able to give these what they need?

has anyone gone down the route of 307 Gti breaks?

Anthony

What wheels are you running, as that's the limiting factor?

Carbs4me

Standard 1900 speedlines.

Ive also been looking at V6 406 ones as they have brembo calipers

Carbs4me

seems someone has already done the v6 conversion with the brakes and brembo calipers... just the hubs! would they fit the 205 ones? spec sheet here clicky

Edited by Carbs4me

welshpug

306 gti6/xsara vts would be the largest I would want to fit, there are others from the non gt 307 which will fit but are a lot heavier and much more expensive brake pad wise

307 GT is a no go with the standard gt caliper as they're just too big, 302x26mm.

406 brembo wont fit under there without 20mm spacers (you'd use 288x28mm c5/xantia discs)

Miles

which then is a waste of time, Go for some proper AP racing callipers, you can get a nice big disc there then but don;t expect much change from £2500

• Like 2

kyepan

If your planning to go big, definitely go for something with alloy bells and calipers, the 26mmx283mm 307hdi are very heavy (see weight thread, the discs alone add quite a bit of gyroscopic torque making the steering heavy. Whatever you buy, make sure it's a road caliper and has the dust seals. Secondly avoid willwood, two friends have had them, neither has had a good experience, relating to the pads, discs and the calipers themselves.

Use the smallest brakes you can, with the best pads and fluid, then add ducting if they are still getting too hot... as brakes are mostly about turning friction into heat, and then getting rid of the heat.

Batfink

I think the wilwoods are more within my price range :lol: £500, them AP racing calipers where £2,000 !!! but i did like that awesome size!

http://www.motorspor...5afed521defb1a0

Do these show good results?

what do you mean good results? What is it you are after? Too many people fit big brakes without ever understanding what they actually do...

• Like 3

petert

I've got GTi6 calipers with Endless pads & 283mm slotted rotors on my track car. I doubt you'd find a better combination for the money. Guaranteed to pop your eye balls out. Steer clear of the 206/307 calipers. They flex too much, causing pad wedging. Also, GTi6 283mm rotor is 26mm thick, compared to 28mm for the 206/307 rotor.

Edited by petert

welshpug

erm, you must have a different gti6 to europe, they use 22mm discs.

206/307 uses 26mm, 406 brembo's 28mm.

petert

Sorry, you're right, they're 22mm. Messed up. Even 266mm brakes with Endless pads will pop your eye balls out. You don't read about them on this forum. Not available in the UK?

Anthony

Sorry, you're right, they're 22mm. Messed up. Even 266mm brakes with Endless pads will pop your eye balls out. You don't read about them on this forum. Not available in the UK?

Just had a look as I'd not heard of them until now, and it looks like they are available and there is a UK distributor, but they're pretty expensive owing to the poor AUD-GBP rate at the moment.

welshpug

I don't think they have many outlets here, Demon Tweeks are one but they are notoriously expensive, what's a set for the gti6 caliper cost down there?

looks like M-Sport are using them on the WRC cars.

Are they a Carbon metallic pad like Carbon Lorraine ?

http://www.kamracing.co.uk/car-tuning/peugeot/peugeot-306/brakes/brake-pads/peugeot-306-gti6-rallye-front-brake-pads-cl-brakes-rc5.html

http://www.kamracing.co.uk/car-tuning/peugeot/peugeot-306/brakes/brake-pads/peugeot-306-gti6-rallye-front-brake-pads-cl-brakes-rc6.html

I've experienced the RC6 in a RenaultSport brembo wrapped around 310mm belled discs on a 306 V6, good cold, astounding warmed up, cool sparks in the dark :D

petert

Approx AUS$400. There are many different pad materials. I can't recall which material I have however. Possibly ME20. I thought they were made in Sweden?

Carbs4me

what do you mean good results? What is it you are after? Too many people fit big brakes without ever understanding what they actually do...

No over heating, more reponsive better stopping distance.... and just something that is going to look swank!

The brakes on my car would not lock up even if you samped on the brake pedal and forced yourself into the seat, i was pretty sure they didnt work very well, even with new pads they arnt great and everytime i press the brakes i would get a hissing noise coming from what i guess is the servo drawing air in from the manifold but only when warm for some strange reason i cant understand.

Edited by Carbs4me

petert

Expensive yes, but better to put the money into pad material rather than unnecessary mass to make the car stop. I use to run Brembos but got sick of the hassle of wheel spacers & rim selection to get clearance. GTI6 or 306 HDi calipers (266mm) are more than enough stopping power for most.

• Like 1

Cameron

As per Kev's post.. what's the idea in fitting the biggest brakes you can find? Do you just want to be able to say a large number when you talk about it, or are you actually worried about what they'll stop like? If I were you I would fit a set of Lotus Elise / Exige AP 2-pots with custom brackets and bells using these rotors. Depending on how much you get the calipers for and whether you use a decent machinist (eg: BGDev) it will cost you around £800-900 all in. They can be made to fit under 1.9 Speedlines, have a search for lotus brakes or something like that and you should find them.

I had this setup with GTi6 rears on my last track car and it was perfect, I wouldn't want for anything more and frankly on a car as light as a 205 it's utterly pointless unless you're doing serious racing.

welshpug

sounds like it needs a good looking at as I have no complaints with a standard 1.9 setup.

if I could afford them I'd get some 106/saxo cupcar AP's, they used a 270mm disc. and weigh a third of a gti6 caliper, and the pads are cheaper as well!

Edited by welshpug

petert

I know someone who runs standard 1.9 calipers & Endless pads in a rally car. He even thinks the bigger calipers are unnecessary.

Edited by petert

Carbs4me

Cameron - im more bothered about what its gunna stop like, my last 1.6 with the drums on the back and drilled, grooved and vented disc's had a miles better stopping distance than my current 1.9 with all round disc's, and i think if im gunna spend money on something to make it stop better i say lets get something that looks the part aswell as stops the car well, basicly i want something thats gunna make my arms bend when i touch those brakes!

I will decide upon my budget according to my deadline for the cars completion which is march at the very lastest, and at that stage it will be due a map, im also trying to think of ways i can cut the cost and do things myself rather than paying stupid money for things i dont need! So overly priced brakes are out of the question £800-900 is tempting. i have roughly £800 per month of money to play with after my outgoing have gone out, and still require ECU and loom and hopely a full stainless in this time. i will look at the lotus elise brake options and weigh it up.

So far ive been spending every night and weekend on it and its close to been ready for a respray but i have ran out of room to store things and the interior is still in the car and i ideally need to take the dash out for a decent job respraying the whole car.

You can refer to my thread here - http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=140451

welshpug

sounds like you really just need to refresh what you already have given you were happy with a 1.6

Baz

+1 For reference every 205 i've ever had with '6/Gti180 brakes on it i've returned to standard and been absolutely happy with, waste of money/time/weight. Don't get me wrong they work well, but OTT and if anything why do you want to 'over-brake' the front of an already lightweight car?

Standard 1.9 front & even drum braked rears are fine with decent fluid & pads. For some perspective, I'm not last of the late-brakers admittedly, but i managed 3 consecutive circa/low 9min BTG laps of the 'ring without fade or issue on 5.1 fluid & cheap Ferodos.

As said if you're going to do it, IMO do it properly with proper brakes that are light(ie; £££)

welshpug

ap1.jpg

BrakeSetUp10.jpg

• Like 1