• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mansfield205

Young Driver Insurance

Mansfield205

I am almost 19 and almost have 1 years no claims bonus and I am currently in the process of buying a 205 1.6 GTi. I was wondering what my chances are of getting a reasonable instance quote.

Also, if I waited til I had 2 years no claims would I get a decent price?

After 2 years no claims and il be 20 by then, I'm sure the engine size wouldn't be much of a problem, but will the age of the car cause much problems?

Cheers, Billy

Strictly_Derv

I'm 21, first policy taken out in my own name on my 21st, £1200 for my car with all mods declared and a 150bhp limit. You may get something similar if you have no claims. Either ways it's gunna be alot probably.

Carbs4me

Your doing exactly what i did, i was stupid enough to pay 3k per year, for a 1.6GTI at the age of 18 with no years no claims first car i had. when i was 20 im sure it was still in the 2k mark. it destoryed my wallet every month with no end, although the amount of crazy nights been a boy racer init and doing the naughties on the road with it, was well worth the use i got out of it... ahhh back in the day! put many cars to shame it did!

Edited by Carbs4me

allye

Your much better off looking for a XS, cheaper tax too. Its going to be a fair bit to insure a GTI at 19. Also you will really struggle to get classic car insurance till you're 21 as I found out.

welshpug

I didn't bother even getting my licence till I was 22, simply because everything was so expensive.

now nearly ten years ago, it was £1200 to insure a 1.5 diesel AX! two and a half years on I had a 1.9 gti insured for £700.

If you have space to keep it off the road and teach yourself the basics of maintaining and restoring one, I would do that, as did a member on here IIRC, had the car at 16 and his mum drove it whilst he did the work.

Mansfield205

Will I definitely need classic car insurance? I paid £3000 fully comp this year for my first car (Peugeot 106 1.1).

What sort of insurance would you recommend? Fully comp, 3rd party or TPFT?

If I struggle this year I will learn how to maintain it and get it to a quality standard and insure it next year, I suppose that wouldn't be too bad. I have a place I can store it off road anyway.

Also, any companies you could recommend me trying for the 205? I'm with nationwide, which is underwriten by LV at the moment because it was about a grand cheaper than all the others!

Personally the most I'd pay to insure it would be about £2500 maybe £3000 at a huge push, but no rush I suppose.

• Like 1

Carbs4me

3k for a 1.1 106! dear god, i thought i was hard done by when i got insurance on my 205!

put it this way.. if it does turn out to be 3k per year for the 205... you then need £10 per night to fuel it and £20 per day for a weekend. thats what i used to go though every day.so roughly you looking at 300per month for insurance alone and 360 at least for fuel per month 660 per month just to run a old shed, then when it breaks down you have no money to fix it and the insurance costs defeats your chances of getting back on the road in a hurry!

Batfink

My god. Its cheaper to use taxis to go everywhere

Edited by Batfink
  • Like 1

kyepan

insurance so expensive it basically prohibits owning a car, no wonder the people go uninsured!

• Like 2

farmer

i waited till i was 25 to get my 1.9 classic cover with footman james £170 for the year

welshpug

My god. Its cheaper to buy an expensive bike to go everywhere

EFA ;)

• Like 1

Mansfield205

3k for a 1.1 106! dear god, i thought i was hard done by when i got insurance on my 205!

put it this way.. if it does turn out to be 3k per year for the 205... you then need £10 per night to fuel it and £20 per day for a weekend. thats what i used to go though every day.so roughly you looking at 300per month for insurance alone and 360 at least for fuel per month 660 per month just to run a old shed, then when it breaks down you have no money to fix it and the insurance costs defeats your chances of getting back on the road in a hurry!

I see your point, might just have to store it for a year, and hope that being 20 with 2 years NCB is enough.

They seem to be holding value so it's not like il be wasting money, it'll be a great project for me (killing rust patches and cleaning up etc) and its one of my all time favourite cars.

EDIT - what's the benefit of classic insurance compared to normal insurance? Will normal insurance companies want to avoid me?

Edited by Mansfield205

Carbs4me

Im not 100% sure but i think your limited to milage on classic insurance.

farmer

Im not 100% sure but i think your limited to milage on classic insurance.

yes mines limited to 6000 miles per year most companies only insure over 25s with few speeding offenses or accidants

Also they want to know what your daily runner is

chipstick

If you want a particular car and can justify the expense just do it.

Carbs4me

Out of curiosity do you have to have a daily driver? to get classic car insurance.

farmer

Out of curiosity do you have to have a daily driver? to get classic car insurance.

I did anyway

1 FAT PUG

insurance so expensive it basically prohibits owning a car, no wonder the people go uninsured!

thats what it will end up being like, stupid ammounts to insure a car, my ex`s lads just selling his car as he cant afford to insure it anymore so hes going to a motorbike again till hes a bit older

Mansfield205

I'm hoping that my insurance will at least half to around £1500 next time around, but my girlfriend got insured on a 1.3 KA for £1100, so maybe a sex change will save me some money in the long run.

Edited by Mansfield205

farmer

I'm hoping that my insurance will at least half to around £1500 next time around, but my girlfriend got insured on a 1.3 KA for £1100, so maybe a sex change will save me some money in the long run.

In december using gender in determining insurance price will be ablosihed by the E.U big wigs

Mansfield205

In december using gender in determining insurance price will be ablosihed by the E.U big wigs

I best get a move on then!

Using them comparison sites is really long winded!

Mansfield205

I best get a move on then!

Using them comparison sites is really long winded!

farmer

Its females that it effects guys should be non affected i think

Mansfield205

Which means mine is still going to be ridiculously expensive :( in my opinion I think 1 years no claims in my first year driving is good enough proof I'm at least a decent driver and deserve my 205! :P

farmer

like was said before just have pay going rate mate give it to 25 or so before premiums reduce