• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Miles

Yet Another How Not To Gti6 Conversion

Miles

Quite like the look of the new Sony's, always been pleased with them before, shame they are not on Voda yet

Miles

Look, all the instruments work too

IMG_1759.jpg

damien

OOOooooo engine managment light... how did you do that?

S@m

There is a wire on the 306 GTI6 loom specifically for it and most 205's have the wiring and bulb there aswell. Just a matter of hooking it up via the brown multi plugs.

welshpug

its a later car, earlier ones wont have that.

Simes

My old phase 1.5 had that wired in.

S@m

My ph 1.5 has it also - ready to be wired up when i put an mi16 in there.

welshpug

hmm, my phase 1.5 doesnt :lol:

SurGie

Who cares as long as the engine works to its full potential, just another bulb to go off.

• Like 1

dcc

always nice to know when the ECU picks up a engine fault worthy of informing a car owner. potentially saving the owner great expense.

Anthony

Exactly - for the small amount of work required, I'm utterly baffled as to why people don't wire in all the gauges and warning lights when doing engine conversions. At best not doing so is lazy, at worst, inept.

• Like 1

S@m

always nice to know when the ECU picks up a engine fault worthy of informing a car owner. potentially saving the owner great expense.

I concur.

SurGie

So does Miles's conversion looms have this facility?

Surely the oil stop light is enough isn't it ?

Is it like a lower pre engine warning light compared to the stop light?

dcc

I dont think the ECU monitors oil pressure to be fair. The oil pressure and stop light are on a separate 'loom' almost. I can only imagine that the ECu would pick up on things such as Lambda issues, cam / knock sensor, Crank sesnor, water temp sensor, air inlet temp, throttle position...

but more fo the gauges would be wired without the ECU touching them.

My understanding atleast.

• Like 1

damien

any more information on wiring it up?

i know on the gti6 loom that "480 beige" is the engine warning light, what about on the 205 side? anyone know which wire it is?

dcc

on my 205 it is the lone wire on the smaller multiplug. from memory its a red wire!

CosKev

I dont think the ECU monitors oil pressure to be fair. The oil pressure and stop light are on a separate 'loom' almost. I can only imagine that the ECu would pick up on things such as Lambda issues, cam / knock sensor, Crank sesnor, water temp sensor, air inlet temp, throttle position...

but more fo the gauges would be wired without the ECU touching them.

My understanding atleast.

Really not sure what would illuminate the light tbh :unsure:

As you can disconnect the majority of the sensors on the Gti6 engine and the light will not come on!!!!

Its certainly not like modern day management lights

• Like 1

SurGie

That's what i was thinking with regards to having the dash light, i think its more about cosmetics than good function but i could be wrong.

S@m

any more information on wiring it up?

i know on the gti6 loom that "480 beige" is the engine warning light, what about on the 205 side? anyone know which wire it is?

Is it not wire 74? Often (but not always) it will already be in the brown multiplugs, just unconnected. Another option if it isn't present is to wire it up to the choke light, that obviously isn't used in any GTI but is still there. There's usually a stray yellow unconnected wire lurking behind the clocks for that one - possibly #75.

Edited by Sam306

Miles

Yep wire 74 on the 205, On the 6 loom is a off white wire from the ECU

As Anthony's said not wiring it in is just lazy as it's easy, Wire 74 is present from around 1990 give or take so just fit the bulb and your away, same goes for any of the sensor's.

It's more of a nice to have 'yes' but if it's fitted why not use it just in case as you never know and I have seen them on a few times

I think I can say without a doubt that the looms I do have all the connections, Unused plugs removed and all new crimps used where possible, there is a couple of wires that you cannot crimp.

damien

how do you go about testing the warning light? (to see if its wired up right and lights up when it should)

is it just a case of unpluging something like the lambda or stepper then trying to run the engine?

if youve got the light wired up is it worth wiring up the diagnostic port?

Anthony

Engine check light should come on with ignition on (and go out when the engine starts) if it's wired/working correctly, as per Miles's picture on the previous page :)

CosKev

how do you go about testing the warning light? (to see if its wired up right and lights up when it should)

is it just a case of unpluging something like the lambda or stepper then trying to run the engine?

As I posted above,you can disconnect majority of sensors on the Gti6 eng and the light will not come on.

Would be good to know what does actually bring it on.

CosKev

I have seen them on a few times

Can you remember what was wrong with those cars to bring the light on?

Henry Yorke

Mine has come on on my 2.0T based management previously so I guess a 6 ECU would be similar. This was once when it was running out of fuel and another time under heavy load up a hill at a silly speed. Another time it was stood for a bit and started up and left on idle and needed a blip of the throttle to clear itself and it went off. It will be the lambda sensor that triggered both of these as the mixture was not right.

As said, mine comes on at startup.I suppose the test is to disconnect the lambda and see if that triggers it.