• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Miles

Yet Another How Not To Gti6 Conversion

Simes

Mine use to come on after extended periods of 5,5k upwards.

Apparently there was never anything wrong and when slowing down it would go out again.

This was on "3 row" management. No lambda.

There's a thread on here about it. Miles' 405mi16 (back in the day) used to do it to and main dealers never found the fault.

Edited by Simes

Miles

I've had the light on with a coil pack failure, I think more of the knock it caused the knock sensor to flag it up, But sods law since I've had my fault reader nothing has come up

SurGie

So potentially it wont really light up saying there is possible damage to engine like the stop light?

I assume it comes on to say hey you need to sort, renew something that isn,t working properly. Im sure people would know there is something wrong when the car isn't working, starting properly without the light telling them.

Edited by SurGie

GLPoomobile

Why is there any confusion? Like pretty much all modern ECU controlled cars, if the ECU sees a failure in one of the sensors or a problem some where, it'll log a fault code and light up the warning light to alert you that's it's logged an error. It's not always going to be obvious there's a fault - depending on what the fault is - and certainly not always obvious to the average driver.

I see it as a "nice to have". If it's so simple to wire up then then I can see some benefit to it. But equally, if it occassionally lights up for no real reason (as mentioned above) then I'm not sure I'd like yet another warning light making me worry about things that there's nothing to worry about :blush:

• Like 1

welshpug

These ecus do mask many component issues when they creep up by using default values, so often enough they appear to be running fine.

damien

for the love of me i couldnt find "74" on my 205 loom today, will look into taking the dials out and having a noise........

the only "spare" wire i could find was "32"

Edited by damien

dcc

no need to take dials out. it will be a unused wire in the multiplugs. if its there that is!

CosKev

Why is there any confusion? Like pretty much all modern ECU controlled cars, if the ECU sees a failure in one of the sensors or a problem some where, it'll log a fault code and light up the warning light to alert you that's it's logged an error. It's not always going to be obvious there's a fault - depending on what the fault is - and certainly not always obvious to the average driver.

But thats the whole point,you can totally disconnect sensors on the Gti6 engine and it will not light up the management light.

So its not like modern ECU controlled cars at all.

I know for a fact you can disconnect Lamdba sensor,coolant temp sensor,PAS sensor,inlet air temp sensor,TPS and the car still runs and you get no management light.

You can also disconnect MAP sensor and still get no light on,although car will stall.

• Like 1

Anthony

Still no reason not to wire it in though - if nothing else, it's a quick clue that the ECU has power if diagnosing a non-start.

Does seem strange that a comparatively modern Magneti Marelli management system doesn't illuminate the light for some of those faults, as I'm pretty sure that Bosch (Motronic) variants do for several of the items you mention.

The engine check light is just a minor thing though, and I routinely see conversions - GTi-6, Mi16 and others - where half the warning lights and gauges aren't wired in for reasons completely unknown. Other than sometimes needing to run an extra wire for the oil pressure gauge on some engines/looms, the wires for everything else are all there and thus seems crazy to me not to wire them up as it's no time at all to do so - I mean, I can't be the only person who gets irritated driving cars where gauges or lights on the dashboard don't work, can I?

Baz

No. ;)

welshpug

So we concur that surgie does not have powdercoated parts on his car, nor do half his instruments work, and another thread succesfully derailed/surgified.

• Like 2

damien

But thats the whole point,you can totally disconnect sensors on the Gti6 engine and it will not light up the management light.

I know for a fact you can disconnect Lamdba sensor,coolant temp sensor,PAS sensor,inlet air temp sensor,TPS and the car still runs and you get no management light.

You can also disconnect MAP sensor and still get no light on,although car will stall.

on my 306 estate you can unplug the lambda or stepper and it will set off the management light, also the management light (on my 306) brings up a fueling problem (it was a fuilty fuel pump).

if its quick and easy to wire up, i dont see why you wouldnt want it to work

GLPoomobile

OK then, shall we say "It's like all modern ECU controlled cars in theory, but in practise it doesn't actually work"? :)

SurGie

Get over your self wp, there is a thread made by marksorrento if you want to discss me again, this thread is not the place for that troll s*it.

All im sayng, and please see im not he only one, that its not really an important one like all that others are of which are connected on my car. My car is done just as professional as many of the others, if not more due to the amount of time an effort put into it. I have not used any powercoating on my current project due to costs, cheaper to paint non chassis parts myself. So can we leave me out of it all and discuss the nice to have dash light not need to have as said by others. Ive had a few gti's past 90 and never known the light to come on and have had a few engine niggles. If Miles loom does have this wire connected then all i need is the bulb, im planning on replacing all of them for new ones anyway, i think the dissusion is more about if its really needed and from what ive seen it isn't.

DaJaView.

dcc

ok then surgie, dont fit the warning light.

SurGie

For all i know its probably already fitted, just needs a bulb. So the light may come on, but the light unlike all the others wont tell you what the problem may be. Seems a waste of time much like the fuel light, when low you dont need a light to tell you do ya just the dial.

I would not call it lazy not to fit it all, many might not know its there in the first place.

I think its more of a mm i want my car to be a bit more modern with no real function in telling you whats wrong and because it wont tell you whats wrong you have to take it somewhere to plug a diagnosis machine instead of testing/swoping parts.

So if the light came on, is there any real possible damage to the engine by ignoring it, im not sure it will. It would be great if someone came on here and show it really has a good functional reason to have it fitted on a standard engine.

Baz
CARE.jpg
  • Like 3

Simes

Basically it's a nice touch to connect it iand use it in a conversion. Regardless of whether it does anything or not (like many modifications) it's a nice detail and something new to most GTI drivers!

SurGie

th_lookie1.jpg

Ohh lookie at my new dash lights when i turn the ignition on dude lol. Oh wow im so jealous, i mean envious dude.

I cant think of any modest 'modifications' that are not some how useful in any way that you see all the time, can you ?

Edited by SurGie

Simes

Seems a waste of time much like the fuel light, when low you dont need a light to tell you do ya just the dial.

Fuel light tells you two things -

when it flickers you have approx. 8L left

When it is on solidly you have 3L left.

Both of things are very useful when travelling a long distance - unlike an inaccurate dial.

• Like 1

CosKev

Still no reason not to wire it in though - if nothing else, it's a quick clue that the ECU has power if diagnosing a non-start.

I can't be the only person who gets irritated driving cars where gauges or lights on the dashboard don't work, can I?

Not saying not to wire it in :)

Drives me mad too dash equipment not working!

OK then, shall we say "It's like all modern ECU controlled cars in theory, but in practise it doesn't actually work"? :)

Spot on!!!

• Like 1

kyepan

Now lets all have a hug and get back on topic.

• Like 3

Miles

Pretty much there now,

IMG_1821.jpg

Just a couple of bits to finish inside and if I can find a good slam panel fit that, at least now a non bonnet pined bonnet can be used

Edited by Miles
  • Like 2

SurGie

Looks very good now.

I've never been keen on those bonnet pins myself, especially for road cars. Slam panel bonnet catches can be fitted in with all the conversions, even the V6, trust me ive done it.

The fuel dial is what turns the light on isn't it, mine used to go on once the dial reached a certain section of the dial, when the dial goes up the light goes out. They go up and down like a yo yo on all the 205's ive driven, 106's are worse for it. Lets face it, they are not the most accurate of dial's, so once low fill up when you can.

Edited by SurGie

commievid

Just wanted to know what steering rack was used in the end? Standard 205 one? 306 one?