• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jer309GTi

Brembo 4 Pots

cammmy

Anyone?

welshpug

anyone what?

KRISKARRERA

I think he's asking "What brakes would be a direct fit and would it be worth the upgrade?"

Personally I'm a bit tight over brake upgrades. I'd probably think differently if I was a track fiend hanging out at Castle Combe at every opportunity, but I reckon most apparently poor brakes are just caused by badly deteriorated components. Can't deny bigger makes mean better stopping but then you have more unsprung mass and the extra rotating weight is similar to adding weight to other spinning engine items like the flywheel.

cammmy

Thanks XU10. For some reason I couldn't see your post whem I bumped it.

Kris. Good point, just trying to guage whether or not there are any later model items that go on easily and are worth doing.

rodionski
Guys,

I am trying to fabricate the L-shaped pipe extensions to fit the 406 V6 brembos on a 405 Mi16.

Could you please advise on the sizes of the extensions needed for fabrication?

Many thanks indeed!!!!

Again, anyone?

XU10

What L-shaped pipe extension ???

406 Brembo's fits perfect without any modifications...

swordfish210
I think he's asking "What brakes would be a direct fit and would it be worth the upgrade?"

Personally I'm a bit tight over brake upgrades. I'd probably think differently if I was a track fiend hanging out at Castle Combe at every opportunity, but I reckon most apparently poor brakes are just caused by badly deteriorated components. Can't deny bigger makes mean better stopping but then you have more unsprung mass and the extra rotating weight is similar to adding weight to other spinning engine items like the flywheel.

I gave my standard brakes a complete overhaul when i got the car (new discs, Ferrodo Premier pads, greased up all of the sliders and replaced the fluid) and they worked perfectly, the pedal feel was excellent and they really pulled the car up well. They were perfectly adequate for the cars performance and weight and you really don't need anything larger for the road.

rodionski

Sorry mate, but you could fit a pair of small 4-pot Wilwood dynalites (which would fit under stock 15" rims) with disks having aluminium center bells, and they would make a world of difference, while weighing probably less than half of stock system!

cybernck

L-extension for brake pipes - around 10 cm length should be enough.

rodionski

Many thanks mate!!!

What about the length of the shorter piece? Any difference?

swordfish210
Sorry mate, but you could fit a pair of small 4-pot Wilwood dynalites (which would fit under stock 15" rims) with disks having aluminium center bells, and they would make a world of difference, while weighing probably less than half of stock system!

Dynalites are absolutely wank. They're cheaply made American garbage, the pistons seize after about 1/2 hour of use and they're so weak the bodies bend even on a braking system with no servo assistance. To be frank i would rather hang a coat out of the window and use that as a brake than fit a set of dynolites to my car.

Every car i've ever worked on that has had them fitted i've binned them off in favour of some AP brakes.

rodionski

No need to be that articulate, mate )))

Dynalites were just a figure of speech. Brembo, AP etc - any of them would be less than half the weight of the stock caliper.

Only proves my point.

swordfish210

Fair enough, i just really hate them. I had someone say to me once "ah i'll buy dynalites because they're cheap" Why the hell would you want cheap brakes though, it's like buying cheap brain surgery, you'll get something but it'll do some serious damage sooner or later.

cybernck

The shorter piece should be a cm or two long (or short :)).

cammmy

If I was going aftermarket I would do some research on the kit hiflowheads sell

6 Pot brake kit. (discs, comp Pads, braided hoses), fit std Alloys 758.00 (pounds)

http://www.hiflowheads.co.uk/performance/mi16.pdf

Just thought that some of the later cars would have more modern brakes that work better without necessarily being heaver (just through an improved, more modern design). Which would go on easily.

If not I will just get better pads and fluid for now as the standard brakes work quite well, especially now the car weighs less.

DRTDVL1345402287

You really only need to go bigger for two reasons.

1) Heat: larger brakes will dissipate heat better due to a larger surface area, be careful tho because if you have small clearance between the caliper and the wheel you will get a lot of heat transference into the wheel which will effect your tyre pressures.

2)Mechanical Advantage: you can generate more force on the disc, so if your unable to lock you wheels you could benefit from larger brakes.

You do however introduce a bunch of problems particularly if you upgrade your master at the same time.

Changed piston total area vs factory will effect the pressure working on the disc. Increasing the piston area will increase the force working on the disc. Increasing the master will DECREASE if the force working on the disc.

Changing the front brakes to larger brakes will alter the brake bias of the car shifting it forward, and increasing the master will reduce the effectiveness of the factory rear brakes.

I'd say go for the smallest brakes you can get that allow you to lock the wheels and with good pads and some brake cooling you would be better off.

christopher

406 brembos and 16mm spacers on a 405 T16.

IMG_6809%20(Large).jpg

IMG_6799%20(Large).jpg

scoop
What is best disc and pads complet for normal size 195/55 R15, and does it fit immediately. Are there big differences to standard braking.

Thanks in advance

u can replace with the 406 phase 2 front discs and calipers as they are having bigger pistons, dics and much bigger pads and they fit straight on the 405 hubs without any problems and if u want a very good set of pads, u will need the green stuff pads which are designed for performance

Sign in to follow this