• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest piran21

Suspension

Guest piran21

How do you stiffen up the rear suspension. I find I get a bit too much body roll. I have Koni Reds set to almost 3/4 stiff.

On a sidenote: What is the best suspension for the front? Which springs?

Is there an upgrade for the anti-roll bar in the front?

Any polyurethane bushing sets?

cybernck

in the rear, ARB (Anti Roll Bar) is what controls the roll.

TB's (Torsion Bars) are actually springs.

hard shock absorbers don't make things "stiffer" as such.

Guest piran21

I know about the Torsion bars and ARB. Are there upgrades for them for the 405 or ways to make our stock ones better?

cybernck

i'm afraid not :(.

actually... station wagons might have thicker ones, i'll check on the pug cd's!

Guest piran21

Great!

So how do you all manage to be competitive on the track?

I'm not talking about you hydraulic rear suspension people.

B1ack_Mi16
Great!

So how do you all manage to be competitive on the track?

Just put some semi-slicks on...

I can't see the 405 beeing too competitive on the track compared to 205 Mi16's at least. Need som bigger engines. A 2.2 Mi16 conversion could have been nice :)

Guest piran21

I'd love for my car to be able to keep up with Civic Type-R's, Integra Type-S and Type-R's. That kinda thing.

petert1345402284

Did you know the Mi16x4 has front stiffer springs and bigger ARB's?

Guest piran21

Hmmm... so the Front Anti roll bar from the Mi16x4 will be an upgrade for a 2WD? Hmmm anyone got one? lol

Guest Eric Josefsson

Stiffer ARB isn´t always better, on some cars you even throw it away.

On 405 I dont know exaktly where you should go with the ARB.

The rear of the 405 is hard to setup, you can buy thicker torsion bars, unfortunally this is a bit too expensive.

I have been thinking about adding small coilovers (to add some spring ratio to the torsion) instead of dampers, but I've havent found a proper solution yet, and im not really in that need to make it worth it.

Harder damper do work, I have a AVO GTZ kit, those dampers work good for my car.

(to reduce the need of hard spring setup you can make the car lighter ;) )

I belive that I've got a pretty good basic start on my car now.

Make it light!!

A "sport/race" spring/damperkit

Negative camber in front.. (how much depending on tyres, but a possibility to reach -4° is good.)

Good brakepads. (I use Performance friktion 97 in front and roadpads in rear)

Good racing breakfluid

Good racing tyres

From that basics you would have a decent sportscar, on a fast track a extra 30-50hp would be a nice addative.

On my 405 a rear wing of a good racing quality (not bling) made a huge diffrens to add more grip to the rear tyres both in turning and rear brakes. (I had a huge problem with rear tyres lockup while braking before I got the wing (No it was not the brake f/r ratio that was wrong))

RobMGti

How do you get -4 camber on the front? Adjustable spring pans? alltering the top mount? Or can it be done easier using other things?

petert1345402284

I had some 405 23mm torsion bars made here in Sydney. Three pair were approx. $600 /set. One set is approx. $900.

You can use 205 coil overs in a 405, just the top mount is different.

Edited by petert

Guest Eric Josefsson
How do you get -4 camber on the front? Adjustable spring pans? alltering the top mount? Or can it be done easier using other things?

Something like this construction would in free air be able to handle up to 6° camber (how much mounted is restricted by how much the coilover can move before the spring colides with the strut tower, so a small diameter coilover spring is necessary.

top mount

Guest Eric Josefsson
I had some 405 23mm torsion bars made here in Sydney. Three pair were approx. $600 /set. One set is approx. $900.

You can use 205 coil overs in a 405, just the top mount is different.

Use 306 otherwise, they fit directly.. and you get a practical flange on the shockabsorber to beat them down with the sledge hammer. :)

Guest DesMi16

Just looking through the 405 touring car homologation papers. From what i can see with my limited french and useless black and white photo's, there is no ARB in the standard position. There is a spline coming through the centre of the beam (poss ARB) and a linkage mechanism coming from the shock absorber mounting towards the front of the car. I'll see if my mate who speaks French can make sense of it as it would be superb to copy the touring car setup onto a 405 track car.

Probably end up being quite a lot of work but would be worth it to show up a few of our smaller Peugeot models on track.

RobMGti

I didnt realise 306 items firt directly, usefull bit of Info for when i finally get a 405.

I would assume the touring cars use a solid front end setup, touring cars are designed as standard to very slightly "drift" through corners but still maintain alot of forward momentum. Its hard to tell from videos but they are always slideing very slightly. The link from the shock to the front of the car could well be structural support. Miles from Drivers forum did something similar on one of this customers cars.

Guest Eric Josefsson

Here is a picture of my 306 AVO in my 405, with a nice red arrow to point at the beaten flange

http://www.badanka.com/upload/uploaded/stotis.JPG

(When i purchased these AVO didn´t state that they would fit 405 (official) inofficial there said it would fit, with the flange as the only different thing.

Now they are sold to both 306 and 405 as the same article if I remember it correct.

Downside with AVO is that the tread/smaller diameter of the piston should be a bit longer if one should want to fit a better top mount.

KRISKARRERA

Can't comment on track work, hopefully this year I will though on road I've found all 405s to handle great, even the crappy 1.6 GL I had was ok!

Actually I tell a lie, back in '02 I went on the airfield at work and spun the old grey 405 @ 70mph, courtesy of the bald T16 alloys on the back.

Guest DesMi16

As you say Kris, the 405's are awesome on the road. I am 100% sure that my standard 405 would well and truly beat my overly hard set 205 on road. When you rip the weight out of a 405 they start feeling like a really good track car. Drove mine around for a couple of weeks last year with only 2 seats and the dash in. Felt very sharp and was possibly the most fun i've ever had in a road car and it accelerated bloody fast aswell with non of that high quality, very heavy interior. Lookin forward to seeing how Vicki's 405 track car compares tomorrow at Llandow circuit in Wales.

As for this rear suspension, from wht i can gather the ARB is mounted in front of the trailing arms onto the beam mount casting. The link bars from the bottom of the shocks go to the end of the ARB plates. Using this method it would probably be possible to utilise a GTI 6 ARB or something similar.

kutija1345402283

Anyone ever tried to put 406 shocks on 405 or knows someone?

Do they fit?

Because T16 is much heavier than standard 405 I would like to use some 406 sport shocks...

Guest Eric Josefsson
Anyone ever tried to put 406 shocks on 405 or knows someone?

Do they fit?

Because T16 is much heavier than standard 405 I would like to use some 406 sport shocks...

Why do you want 406shocks?

I find it easier to find a kit from a serious dealer that fits T16 (the rear susp. is diffrent from Mi16, front i don't know how much that differ.) Then you can ask the dealer to reshim the damper setting to fit your application.

calvinhorse

can anyone shed any light on the 306 coilovers into a 405? does it work? what is involved?

imaS

You may need to grind or remove bracket for arb-linkage. I took it totally away. Otherwise they are bolt-on. Rear shocks will fit with adapters.

calvinhorse

can anyone confirm the above? if a 306 front shock fits that also means a 205 shock would fit right?

imaS

Yes, they will fit too. 205 ones are just shorter.

Sign in to follow this