• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dave205

Starlet Glanza Turbo

Paul_13

The Toyota Starlet GT Turbo was a fun little motor, it was the predecessor for the Glanza.

Pokey small engine.

The rear panhard rod is a must. Whiteline racing do these.

custard-rallye

Id say rear arb more than panhard rod as adjustable panhard rod is only needed if car is lowered

MiniGibbo

I'd personally buy a car that dosent handle like a forklift..

custard-rallye

What do you hate so much about them?

MiniGibbo

Don't know never been able to pick between,

The terrible looks

The terrible handling

The terrible "scene tax" demand

But thinking about it, probably the owners.... They seem to all be jumped up little bellends who think they're oem micra will smash super cars because they watched one do it on a video.

custard-rallye

I wouldn't say all are jumped up bellends yes some are scum but I'd say saxo and corsa drivers are far worce

MiniGibbo

Saxo owners eh...

GLPoomobile

I had a bit of a hardon for Starlet GTs a few years back (when the Glanza was not yet approved for importing in to the UK). I've never actually driven or been in one though. I actually really like the look of the Glanzas.

The forum for GT owners was (back then) diabolical. Just a total chav fest. I wouldn;t have a GT or Glanza now either, as they do still seem to be very much a chav car. And yes they are pretty bloody light for what they are, and it'll be cheaper to tax being only a 1.3, but that small engine will always be a limitation to it's outright potential and I seriously doubt it makes the insurance any cheaper once you've done the inevitable tuning and upgrades.

In summary, quite a nice little jap hatchback with fun potential at (probably) considerable cost, but ultimately ruined by the type of owner it attracts.

GLPoomobile

That was posted on civic life,

The 355 lifts off and indicates left as there was someone in front othe outside lane.. The micra didn't stand a chance.

I don't want to enter in to a petty debate, but I will simply say I totally disagree with that. The 355 gets the drop on him, but he then starts to catch up with the 355 even though you can quite clearly hear that the 355 driver has got the throttle nailed. Yes, he does lift right at the end and the "micra" sails past, but up to that point he was obviously catching the 355 up. A quick wiki check shows a 355 to be 1350kg dry weight and 380bhp, which is 281bhp per tonne, so why should it be so hard to believe?

Edited by GLPoomobile

welshpug

The terrible "scene tax" demand

says a BMW owner, LMAO.

Edited by welshpug

Baz

EFA. More fitting for this thread. ;)

• Like 1

MiniGibbo

says a BMW owner, LMAO.

Can't say I've noticed much scene tax on the german barges..

Maybe on edition with wheels but not for cars or normal parts like a lot of the rice burners do.

MiniGibbo

I don't want to enter in to a petty debate, but I will simply say I totally disagree with that. The 355 gets the drop on him, but he then starts to catch up with the 355 even though you can quite clearly hear that the 355 driver has got the throttle nailed. Yes, he does lift right at the end and the "micra" sails past, but up to that point he was obviously catching the 355 up. A quick wiki check shows a 355 to be 1350kg dry weight and 380bhp, which is 281bhp per tonne, so why should it be so hard to believe?

Then well have to agree to disagree as I can't see many s*itlets making much more than 200hp per tone let alone nearly 300.

Anthony

Can't say I've noticed much scene tax on the german barges..

"M tax" anyone?

That's not to say that Jap tuning bits aren't typically outrageously expensive mind you.

MiniGibbo

Yeah the dealer stings you for 2.5x a non m part and they're only available through the dealer I'll admit lol..

But I meant more second hand parts like the optional rear blind for a Honda civic hatch go for more money now than when they where new... For a f***ing blind...!!!!!

Or as a whole car the ek9, arguable no better than the average modded ek4 but twice the price to buy.

GLPoomobile

Then well have to agree to disagree as I can't see many s*itlets making much more than 200hp per tone let alone nearly 300.

Seriously? Now I feel like you are just being obtuse for the sake of it :huh:

Given that you'd easily get at least 200bhp out of one with some very low-end tuning (the usual turbo route - bigger turbo, bigger exhaust, injectors to cope, and the necessary mapping etc), and the fact they are something like 850kg, then that's already 235bhp per tonne, and blows that theory clean out of the water. Finding an extra 70bhp over the factory tune shouldn't pose much of a problem.

You see some ridiculous power figures for 2.0 turbo engines. Yes the Glanza has a 700cc defecit but that doesn't pose huge limitations when you are dealing in boost. In fact I remember years ago there being examples of 400bhp R5 GT Turbos - from a 1.4 8v still running on a carb :lol: Sounds ridiculous!

By all means keep your opinion, but I always try to maintain an open mind even about cars I cannot stand. In fact this topic reminds me of the typical attitude you see on Youtube all the time, with Americans going on and on about their domestic muscle cars and slagging off "ricers" with no real basis to the argument.

welshpug

I think obtuse is gibbo's middle name tbf.

dcc

There is a lad local who has a 330bhp 300ftlb one. I played with him in a 205 with 160bhp basically standard VTS engine on bodies (I only deal with wheel power) and I made him look silly. Very silly. The funniest part being he joked with 'after I beat you...' before the race, and after he would not accept the fact my engine was standard... Did I mention my engine was driven without ANY oil for about 30 seconds before I bought it ;) ? <3

So, why would a car with good power (double mine), good range under a graph and lots of boost (aka torque producer) not be as quick?

I don't usually boast but just had to add my 2 cents to this argument...

The gearbox and mapping is the only thing I can think of!

MiniGibbo

Funny the r5 should come up given the amount of them knocking about making a "genuine 300hp" that was actually closer to barely 200 a few years ago is laughable..

Im fairly confident the s*itlets and micras are of the same.

MiniGibbo

Broken link ;)

Sounds like most s*itlets :lol:

custard-rallye

my computer wont let me paste the link and my phone didnt work

type in tuning ep82 to beat r34

custard-rallye
Edited by custard-rallye