• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GTIJIM

[car_overhaul] Project Eddie

GTIJIM

right then today s update, its a big one :)

first of all i got these through the post

f1m9mr.jpg

so got the dials out of the pug

e0sz09.jpg

plastic off and the needles

289d62o.jpg

and then the faces

344r4ev.jpg

which leaves you with this

30syknt.jpg

soo new dials lined up and on

ok62qo.jpg

needles on

ei61d3.jpg

and then the plastic back on and in the car :D not to everyone's taste but i like them :)

6zra8g.jpg

2nbh7jn.jpg

will be keeping these just in case :)

2w3p0co.jpg

GTIJIM

next part of the update :), as it was a nice day today i decided to start on the underside restoration, so got the arse end up in the air

29p9f9l.jpg

heres a few general shots of the condition

2ngc5mt.jpg

sctnbm.jpg

1pxbf8.jpg

mmm rusty :)

25a3wvs.jpg

then after unbolting the brake lines and disconnecting the handbrake cables the beam was off

2eauq8m.jpg

underneath

2vxhohs.jpg

2zdoxma.jpg

and then the petrol tank

atn5s4.jpg

got about £12 worth of fuel out of it which is odd as i thought it was nearly empty lol, bad news is though i spilt about 50p worth :(

kdttlx.jpg

GTIJIM

the condition underneath is good really, bit of surface rust but nothing major :D

2r3cf3r.jpg

cnjw9.jpg

29ymkyf.jpg

just got to clean it treat the rust and paint it all up tommorow :D

GLPoomobile

It was all going so well, then.......................white dials :(

GTIJIM
:D i quite like them really though ive always liked white dials :D

GTIJIM

got some more done today :)

first off got all the boot floor cleaned up then rust treated and sanded ready for paint

jrr43q.jpg

2mheq1g.jpg

rr4nia.jpg

then after a final wipe over with white spirit i put the first coat on :D

58si0.jpg

14ig0gx.jpg

nc7eh.jpg

can see quite a bit that ive missed but like i say its only the first coat so will all get covered tomorrow :D

then moved onto the beam, her is how it was after it came off the car

o5swom.jpg

then got the torition bars out as well as the shocks, then it all got cleaned up and wire brushed

15dqcgk.jpg

1z3qwx0.jpg

then the tube painted yellow

2zt9kk7.jpg

Edited by GTIJIM

GTIJIM

a24wuf.jpg

then did the trailing arms, heres before

6dvix5.jpg

and after

v6rdqb.jpg

all finished

vb3o2.jpg

1aqsx.jpg

ejxvlv.jpg

just got to paint the shocks and the torition bars as well as all the bolts so it can be re assembled tomorrow :D

Daviewonder

If you've stripped it this far you be foolish not to pull the arms out and inspect the shafts. If they're knackered you can replace them and it will save you having to strip it all again in the near future.

GTIJIM

i did earlier :) pulled them both out and re greased them, the drivers side is in good condition and the passengers has only a slight bit of wear where the bearings are but nothing major :D

GTIJIM

today's progress :)

got all the nuts/ bolts/ washers painted blue last night ready for today :) as well as giving the exhaust heat shield a good scrub up :)

2006vjp.jpg

so first thing of today was to get the boot floor finished up and it looks like this :)

dy0emr.jpg

nod3sy.jpg

got the rear shocks sanded and painted

4qg18k.jpg

then re assembled the beam, ready to go back on the car

4q3asx.jpg

petrol tank on, still needs a bit of cleaning on the bottom :)

rlchhe.jpg

forgot to get pictures of the beam getting put and and assembled but heres all the finished pics :D

2v2z2oh.jpg

2z9dvg1.jpg

2nvxbo1.jpg

14aws4g.jpg

GTIJIM

2qmjlhf.jpg

jj5w78.jpg

2qcjwo4.jpg

fired straight up and ran better so changing the fuel has helped a lot :) must have been a bit stale

sensualt101

so when are you gonna be hitting the road in this convincing gti imposter jim?

its all looking very good now and its about time it was driven ;)

• Like 1

GTIJIM

hopefully will be next may/ June so still quite a while unfortunately :( just gives me more time to make it a better replica :D wish i could drive it now though as its staring at me every morning begging to be driven lol

GTIJIM

update time :) been busy this week preparing for an interview at Arnold Clarke which was this morning :) they loved the book i made showing all my cars and what i have done to them, hopefully ill get through to the second stage interviews :D

anyway onto the pug, heres a pic showing its new stance after putting on the the rear beam :)

2u8gojp.jpg

sits a lot better and actually has some suspension now :D

next up i decided to start the prep for the respray, so i printed this off the computer :)

2j44krl.jpg

then went round the car 3 times finding all the dents which leaves me with this

hs1g01.jpg

yep there are a lot of dents :( but its 23 years old so not too bad :)

so started block flatting the front wing with 800 wet and dry which leaves me with this

1znx7dl.jpg

built back up for the time being :)

2hztta1.jpg

there's is a small dent under the indicator which isn't too bad :)

also did the drivers door the same way :) door has 3 dents again not too bad :) will be getting the paint friday so then just have to wait for a decent couple of days :)

GTIJIM

todays update then :)

first up heres how the drivers side is looking now :)

4uzc3r.jpg

the shiny bits show where the dents are

2rha7f7.jpg

2akjyas.jpg

it is red under all that orange lol

2da15q9.jpg

also this one shows the large dents on the drivers wing

348pwk5.jpg

got a bit of a surprise when i went out the the pug this morning as i opened the passengers door and staring me in the face was about 2 inch deep of water in the footwell :wall: so got out a jug of water and pored it over the car and all the water came into the footwell through the heater box :( also going all over the dash wiring so i decided that was the job for today lol

after removing the scuttle i decided to make a cover plate above the heater box so water would be directed away from the heater to the drain hole. So after a bit of cutting and gluing some old DVD boxes this was the result :D

359fh48.jpg

from the top

4ij1o4.jpg

and fitted

5z18nd.jpg

acze6c.jpg

after re doing the jug test (after i had spent 10 mins bailing the water out the footwell lol) and im happy to say no more leak :D hopefully have a nice dry floor from now on :D

getting the paint for the bodywork tomorrow :D better get on with the flatting now :D

welshpug

aww maaan, where did you find the TSW's? been looking for some for ages, never seem to see any pug fit ones :(

GTIJIM

lucky Ebay find :D only paid £60 for the full set including tyres which alone are worth more than that :D

GTIJIM

popped down to my local paint place this morning and got the paint and thinners for the body :) not telling what colour it is yet but it is not red, unfortunately this means the underside will need re painting again lol its all fun :)

eth6wm.jpg

then got on with some more sanding first up finished the drivers door, before

o0a3jd.jpg

and after

hwbeih.jpg

then moved onto the rear quarter

p6mms.jpg

window out

24b45xg.jpg

and sanded

nlstow.jpg

the more heavily sanded areas are where the dents are :)

1hsd2d.jpg

4h8g42.jpg

then finished off by flattening the bonnet

f1e34o.jpg

the white patches are the raised bits at either side of a dent :( there are quite a few dents on this bonnet to sort, proberably be easier to get a new bonnet but i don't have the moneys unfortunately :(

apparently supposed to rain all next week which is not good as i was planning on painting it next week :( hopefully the weather man's wrong lol

GTIJIM

sorry about the lack of updates, just been more sanding filling and prime'ing unfortunately my camera has balls'd up and now doesn't want to upload pictures hopefully get them up soon though :)

been doing some insurance quotes etc adding things up and i can pretty much do anything i want to this car and still afford the insurance so been thinking of different mad things to do lol, i was thinking of maybe going ultimate replica and putting in a 1.6 or 1.9 GTI engine? is that a simple conversion ie in terms of wiring loom fuel lines etc? or is that too mad lol

johnnyboy666

nice work, I'm really impressed! so you're what? 16? 17?

good to see you're contemplating a career in cars, might be worth going into the bodywork/paint side of things. You clearly have a natural 'flair' for it.

GTi engine should drop into a G reg. as far as I know, you'll need some of the following

-gti sub-frame, or remove and re weld the gear linkage on your current one

-Gti fuel tank with the pump in (unless you plan to run carbs, which I doubt) and fuel lines

-1.6 driveshafts fit in the base model hubs, 1.9 do not

-either a GTi exhaust or cut and shut with your current one

- all the engine mounts/ pipes and ancilleries

-loom and ecu (unlocked

• Like 1

GTIJIM

not to much then :) i was planning on getting the GTI subframe and struts anyway so just need the engine, loom, ECU all the ancillaries, petrol tank and lines with pump :) does the ECU have to be unlocked?

johnnyboy666

yeah it be easier if you just bolt on a gti subframe then everything should fit fine

I'm no expert on ecu's so dont quote me on this, but i think you need to disconnect the ecu with the engine running and that will then leave the ecu unlocked

i think you have to do this with most ecu's otherwise you have to pay to get them unlocked

Tom Fenton

Only ECU's with an immobiliser in need to be unlocked. The 205 GTI Jetronic ECU is very basic and has no immob in it, you can plug it in and out to your hearts content.

GTIJIM

Ok so I'll get a jetronic ecu etc :D thinking of the 1.9 engine with a 1.6 box proberably get the head ported and polished with a nice cam :)

Carbs4me

I have afew ECU knocking about! infact one is super chiped but i have no idea which one!

If someone can give me the correct ECU part no. i can can send one to you for a small price!

Good work! BTW. You've pretty much done what im gunna do to my car in the next couple of months once i get this landrover defender 88 out of the garage taking all the dam room up!