• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gavbrum

Window Scrapers Too Short?

gavbrum

Recently purchased a pair of second hand bottom outer window scrapers.

Problem was they were about an inch too short. Now after searching the forum a found that this was a common problem but no solution.

Now this may be a common fix but I will go ahead and explain how I got them to fit anyway....

I bunged them in the sink and poured over 2 or 3 kettles worth of boiling water. Left them for around 5-10 minutes. Removed them and popped them in a vice (using suitable vice protectors). At 5 equally spaced points along the scrapers gripped the scraper in the vice and pulled. I repeated the process along the 5 points. Checking it against the car there was a noticeable difference in length. Scrapers now fit perfectly.

Worked for me.

Let me know if it works for you.

Cheers,

Gav

Slo

If you pull too hard they can snap VERY easily and they will shrink back very quickly unless you stick the buggers in place with tigerseal or something similar

gavbrum

I'll keep an eye on them. Seems fine so far.

Henry Yorke

CTIs seem to suffer the worst for this and actually split when they shrink. One of mine has gone this winter :(

johnnyboy666

the abundance of shrunken 3door ones going spare is handy if you have a 5door tho :P

laldy875

did you purchase from stella0788 on ebay? I was just away to buy some

gavbrum

Got them off 205nuts. Stella0788 never really got back to me on the bits I needed. Must have sent at least 3 emails.

Just give him a call on 01761434176 or 07594704863

Although he would only sell as a complete set. So I ended up with the inner scrapers and door rubber as well. Was £25 per side but I'll just punt the other stuff on here.

I was pretty desperate as the weather has been so bad so I just went for it.

Decent guy to deal with. Mention you are on the forum and see if he'll knock something off the price.