• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
hothatch

Whos Running Gti6 Turbos ?

hothatch

Hi all, I'm thinking about a turbo conversion on my 6 lump so I was wondering what turbos and What exhaust manifolds are you running except for the DP manifolds ?? :) thanks

pugpete1108

i was going to run a turbo on mine (still might at some point) and was going to build a manifold similar to the one in this thread :http://www.406oc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12234

its made from the std manifold cut up and welded back with some extra bit and a turbo flange on the end. not quite equal length but should work well enough?

Spiky

wont be cheap, unless you have lots of contacts or are a good fabriacator

i was going to go down the turbo route

ex manifold alone was 1k

so instead bought a second hand SC kit and 260 and it's job done :D was around 2600 for kit

hothatch

Hi mate, well I'm on my phone at the minute and the photos were taking forever to load up, but yeah I see the idea going on, I would much rather try to fabricate or even pay someone who is skilled at fabrication to make on up as it could dam sure end up a lot cheaper than 950 squids lol ?

Yeah I've done some research and apprantly the equal lenths of the branchs are supposed to be very important but as long as they are close enough it should work.

What turbo was you thinking of running ?? I'm thinking maybe a t3 , should make some good power .

hothatch

Landed there spike !! I know it is an expensive game, I wouldn't mind paying 500 quid for good job, I'm determined not to pay a grand lol !!

Spiky

t34 with a .48 ex housing would be a nice turbo big a big punch on it

a t34 is std on esc cossie, but as std come with a .63, which will be fine, ( i had one on my cossie) but a .48 will make it spool ip quicker and still good for over 300bhp

T3 with be good for just under 300 (reliable) but top end will be a low, but will have pretty much no lag

Spiky

you not far from me either, just noticed your location

hothatch

Thanks for that spike some very useful info for me that, I'm experienced in the motor trade but not when it comes to turbo conversions, sounds like the t3 will suit me fine, I would love to go for the big power but don't really want to spend a few K on an engine build, I would be well happy with around the 250 mark, I'm going to go for a rebuilt engine with a decomression plate. Hopefully it will end up reliable :)

hothatch

Yeah your from aber spike ?? I did enquire about a rev counter loom before if I remember rightly ?

Spiky

not quite, lol the mrs parents from there, so there all the time, i'm from caerphilly

if you want me to do a turbo loom, i dont mind having a go as with you being local will be easier for me to get right

as i never done a turbo loom, cant be that hard ;)

hothatch

Haha ! I'm the same ! Always over tredegar over my girlfriends. Yeah sounds like a plan mate, I'm going to have to use aftermarket managment I take it though because the standard obviously read boost so no way around that if I want it to run properly ?

Spiky

yeah probably the best way to go

Tom Fenton

The T3 series really are old technology now. I would be looking at the Garrett GT series turbo range, there are sizes to suit any engine capacity and projected output and revs. They are much improved over the old T series with lower inertia wheels and improved turbine geometry. Choosing a T series these days is a bit like fitting a cassette player to your brand new car.

hothatch

Something to think about I suppose, I'm looking for around 250 to 300 bhp I would be over the moon to achieve those figures, I know people on here have acheieved a damm sight more.

I'm still toying with ideas for my ex manifold though :/

wicked

Most stock T3's are 40 or 45 trim and don't come even close to 300bhp...

hothatch

That's why I won't be using one

Anyone else running different exhaust manifolds ??

BlueBolt

At what point do you need to think about forging the bottom end for this kind of work?? I was always under the impression that it was any turbo but recently been told otherwise??

welshpug

depends a lot on boost and rpm levels, they cope just fine with 0.6 bar and standard rev range from a Rotrex C30-94 supercharger.

hothatch

ERICYELLOW has had some phonomal figures with oe bottom end, I'm just going to use ARP big end bolts with a standard rebuilt engine slowly increasing the boost to see what I can get also a decompression plate. For the money of a standard engine I'm not going to worry and give it go see what happens lol, if she goes pop I ll pull her out and spend some more money. All trial and error really .

hothatch

Not many people running turbos I take it then ?? I wonder if my local engineering shop will make me a manifold , hmmmm

BlueBolt

I'll be keeping an eye out for your progress then!! The cars in for gti6 with ITB's but I've always wanted turbo to ITB's... Don't know why, it sounds mental and from what I've seen quite original... I've only ever seen one at FCS last year in a Clio...

However, surely the amount of boost produced before it goes pop depends on the size of the turbo??

Edited by BlueBolt

hothatch

Doesn't seem to be many out there does there ?? Well some I've seen have been reliable, some people even running 1.6 bar of boost I don't know how true this is but we will see haha.

The more boost you run the more chance of failure. Its going to be a while yet but the engine build starts thursday.

EdCherry

Most good manifolds are a work of art, and by no mean take a day to build hence the cost.

I car I run had a nice ex mani and system made up by a guy called Chris Tullet. Awesome bloke and did a great job, although cost a fair few grand by itself partially being made from inconel. The previous incarnation was stainless and had a fair few problems with the heat we were asking it to put up with.

stebbs

I'm running mi turbo on bodies. I'm running the old morris motor sports motor with a new build. I'm using a t3 and making 278brake at 251ftlbs. It's not laggy power is from 2500 to max torque at

5800 but brake horse never stops climbing and torque doesn't ever drop below 200ftlb.

To answer your question nothing was cheap mate.

Hope that helps Tom

stebbs

I'm running mi turbo on bodies. I'm running the old morris motor sports motor with a new build. I'm using a t3 and making 278brake at 251ftlbs. It's not laggy power is from 2500 to max torque at

5800 but brake horse never stops climbing and torque doesn't ever drop below 200ftlb.

To answer your question nothing was cheap mate.

Hope that helps Tom

Sign in to follow this