• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
samthornton1990

[rally_prep] 205 Road Rally Project

samthornton1990

Hey all,

I am finishing Uni this year so I have MONEYYYYYY :D :D :D !!!

This is going to be my daily so it'll still have a stereo system in but oh well it turns off.

Anyhow, the current spec is

1.6 shell

1.9 D6B (Fully rebuilt December 2011, new everything apparently)

Enlarged Throttle Body

Piper Ultimate Road Cam

1.6 Box

K&N Cone Filter

Relayed Headlight Loom straight off the alternator (massive improvement)

Driving lights removed

I've had lamps and steady bars at home for a few months now... just haven't had chance to clean the reflector on one of them

003-2.jpg

The car as it currently stands

422708_10150629024195409_573305408_11202650_1592936927_n.jpg

Day I picked it up in Mid Wales

004-3.jpg

007.jpg

I am off back home next week and I have waiting for me:

266mm Brake conversion

Drilled, Vented and Grooved discs with mintex pads

New door pins

New arch trim

Black Boot Panel

2 New locks

So all that will be getting slapped on next week, also hoping to get all the sound deadening removed and lower the seat as my head is on the roof!

Will get pictures up when they go on.

Also ordering an OMP WRC wheel and boss week after next :)

As for future changes.... Just have to see how the money flows <_<

Hoping to have Strut Braces and a Sump Guard in time for the Wilfs (my local) if they're running it this year!

Edited by samthornton1990

EdCherry

Looking nice, specially in the snow! Surprised you have money now you've finished uni, I had more while I was there, but then again I haven't found a job yet....

Happily take that reflective boot panel off you if its in good condition ;) I even have a steering wheel boss for sale.

samthornton1990

Haha I say I have money lol this things costing me £200 in insurance for the next 5 months. Not to mention I do 160 mile a week so I'll be pretty skint... I already have a buyer for the reflective panel bud... if he turns it down though you can have it... I will let you know next week when he comes to look.

As for the boss... depends how much you want? Cause I can get a boss and wheel for £140 or the wheel on it's own for £120 so depends if you can do it for uber cheap :P

Job? I just work for the local asda and the one at home on nights, sucks for the social life (not that there is one in ambleside) but it's worth it to have one of these! Not like there's much to do in third year apart from get your head down

samthornton1990

Update.

Came home yesterday and started work on it!

So far I've managed to fill the shed up with interior and then remove it all again.

Today I have had all the sound deadening out.... hummed of crap, soaked right through as well, probably housing it's own weight in water.

Also found the odd bit of surface rust kicking up so I cure rusted it all and slapped some white hammerite over it.

Currently wiring in the extra 12v socket, so everything is going smoothly. Just need a parcel shelf with no holes in now and to put the rear speakers in :)

20120214_161939.jpg

What are parents for ;)

20120215_083616.jpg

:angry:

20120215_102104.jpg

20120215_102118.jpg

Screw holes were getting a bit rotty looking

20120215_102134.jpg

Seems quite a common place on pugs <_<

Also took the washers out of the seat mounts... sits a bit lower but the position is a lot nicer... loads more support.

Cleaning up the 266mm calipers tonight so new brakes tomorrow hopefully... then it's changing the door pins and putting the new arch trim on (pins look like they'll be fun :unsure: )

Sam

samthornton1990

Well today went okayish....

sorted the reflective panel out.... sort of worked.

20120216_114941.jpg

Tried tinfoil held down with ducktape. Doesn't look overly bad until your right up close

20120216_123536.jpg

20120216_124306.jpg

Mate's with show cars.... have everything you need to remove s*ite!

20120216_124012.jpg

The brakes however, WHAT A NIGHTMARE turns out the calipers I have were only in production for a year (1999-2000) tried 4 sets of pads, finally got the right ones though.

20120216_114954.jpg

:D

Going on tomorrow. I will have some bendix 205 calipers going.... they have mintex pads which are literally brand new, not sure on the condition of the discs. Anyone interested let me know. Won't be wanting too much.

Also sorted my 12v plug out. I have several now (I use them all when I have photography stuff on charge)

20120216_132437.jpg

samthornton1990

Little update on this.

Picked up a PTS Sump Guard today :) going on when I get home.... 2 MONTHS AWAY :angry: hate essays

20120226_144218.jpg

Also ordered an OMP WRC wheel so that should be here this week.

Brakes never got put on as I didn't know the 1.6 hubs were unique in themselves. Getting some 1.9 hubs when I find some for the right price :)

matt.f

Nice car,noticed your from Ambleside in your other post.Some good events quite local to you,Lonsdale belt is the next one and is a very good event.

I'd be getting a cage if you havnt got one mate,got a OMP one if you want it?

samthornton1990

Cheers buddy! I am slightly (-££SS) skint at the moment. Just bought a steering wheel. My aim is to have it ready for the Rhymoor Trophy next Feb,

Wanting to have:

Cage

Lamps

Seats (My head is on the roof)

Sunroof gone

Suspension

All sorted before I start doing anything driving position feels a bit naff at the moment cause I'm so high up. Just have to see how the cash flows.

I haven't as of yet got a navigator either, need to train my mate up, competing in some 12 cars later on this year.

Cage you say? How much and how long do you think you'll have it? Which cage is it? If it's a reasonable price your after I could loose a few more pennys for it!

matt.f

Sent you pm bout cage,your in the que if this sale falls through.

Yeah navs are hard to find,my brother is after one for the Lonsdale next month.

samthornton1990

Sick man, Yeah I know what you mean.... My Dads good, got some good results back in the 90s but he started throwing up so he's not kean at the moment, wanting to drive more than anything. I know enough to train my mate up tbh so try that!

allye

head hitting the roof with standard seats? You must be as lanky as me at 6'5'! You may want to rip out the standard mounts and fit rails but I've recently fitted buckets and this is how I've done it, I sit much lower than standard position with plenty of room for helmet if I ever needed to;

IMG_20120217_144622.jpg

IMG_20120222_140855.jpg

6mmx30mm steel and they are bloody solid. (at a cosrt of £9.60 :D )

matt.f

^^^^^^^is that box section or just flat?

I'd be using box section and fitting 3mm plates around the edge to weld to the tunnel and inner sill.As per blue book

Edited by matt.f

samthornton1990

I take it they're bolted through the existing holes? I'm not quite 6"5, Im 6'2, think it's cause I have the sunroof model, lining seems to sit a lot lower. I do intend on going to bucket seats once I get a cage in though :) Oh and I've removed the washers... not made much of a difference tbh only gain a couple of mm!

allye

^^^^^^^is that box section or just flat?

I'd be using box section and fitting 3mm plates around the edge to weld to the tunnel and inner sill.As per blue book

Its a road car! I didn't want to go down the route of hacking up my minty Rallye shell just for some seats I may not get on with.

Yer they are bolted on the original mounts.

samthornton1990

Ah I will be slinging a cage in prehand so if I get a set they'll be getting put in properly. Hoping to go halves on a derv with my Dad over summer so I can just prep this for road rally!

samthornton1990

Surprised you have money now you've finished uni, I had more while I was there, but then again I haven't found a job yet....

Just gone over the -£300 mark, buying parts for this is addictive :P

samthornton1990

20120302_120332.jpg

Just got these off Baz today. Thankyou, will be going on when I get home!

samthornton1990

Little update.

My strut brace came whilst I was away :)

Along with steering wheel and boss too! Feels nice to drive now I have a good posture

20120308_102006.jpg

20120308_105209.jpg

I also had a split in my induction shortner thing so I lopped the breather side off and seal it with an innertube and made my own DR PEPPER oil catch tank! See if I'll ever need a proper one or not.

20120308_113351.jpg

Ordering some studs today and bidding on some lamps too :D

samthornton1990

I think I have an OMP problem?

20120308_183535.jpg

matt.f

Omp products are good,cages get a mixed view but have proven well in crashes I've seen(and been in)!

samthornton1990

Haha, I think I will be purchasing one come summer :D there's a sparco one which looks identical (probably is) and they want an extra £200 quid for it!

matt.f

Never heard good things about Sparco cages,they will do the job but I'd rather have an Omp or if you can afford Safety devices C44(£350-500) secondhand.

I know the OMP dealer so get Very good deals on stuff :D

samthornton1990

Ah you live near YB Racing I take it? I've bought some stuff off them... just got my sterring wheel from them infact. I may have to have words with you if you can get their cages cheap ;)

matt.f

Yeah I know Mark.

Your best off buying a second hand one for £180-250 and making the plates yourself so you can properly box them in and put spreader plates underneath.Much better than fitting the standard omp kit

samthornton1990

Fair doose bud. I saw a Safety devices one on ebay second hand that was sick. Just need to wait till I'm home... cba with a cage been sat here. Too big