• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
allye

Opinions On 6Speed 205's

Cameron

It really isn't as bad as people make it out to be, I know some people posting on this thread have genuine experience but a lot of replies are from people who've never even tried it, so take them with a pinch of salt.

I'd had the six speed fitted to my car since 2007 and I'd never been in the situation where I had to make a 3-point turn on a mini roundabout! Sure I've had to cut across them but as long as you plan ahead a little bit you'll be fine.

I'd say whether you should fit it to a daily driver or not would be down to you, as you can see some people hate the reduced lock but some people can cope. Personally the ratios and the extra gear made it 100% worth it for me! If it were a track car then I'd say fit one without any hesitation, Oli can vouch for how good the ratios were in my car compared to his 6 with a 5 speed! :D

Edited by Cameron

Batfink

Mini roundabouts and t-junctions you need to cut across. I found I was getting rubbing on longabouts, but normal driving it was fine. Multistories would have been silly. For a daily drive I dont think its worth the hassle, but for a weekend hack then its ok

Edited by Batfink

changingman

Without power steering - no thanks laugh.gif

I had a GTi6 for years, and the lock on that didn't escape your memory for long. There was one mini roundabout I had to use to go back on myself to get to work, and in other cars I could swing round it. In the 6, I would practically take the front off anyone waiting on the left for me to get it nice and wide, and would only miss the kerb the other side by a few inches. Take it wrong, or have a car over the line waiting for you, and it was 3 point turn time.

I would absolutely hate to drive a 205 with one.

The VTS is a good box, So I will probably swap my 1.6 box for that when I scrap that soon.

Is the VTS a 6 speed then??

welshpug

No, much the same ratios as an mi16

• Like 1

sensualt101

i have read all the opinions here and many others for as long as gti6 conversions have been done and as a result wont ever have a 6 speed box from the 306 gti6 in a 205 but i am also thinking that if jack knight can build and sell a 6 speed box that works well and fits in the sump of an A series ( mini etc ) engine then surely someone could in theory make a 6 speed transmission fit in to a regular sized 205 gti gearbox?

i am sure there would be a large market for such a thing so it would almost certainly be worthwhile as a commercial venture so i look forward to seeing if any gearbox manufacturer/reconditioner rises to the challenge :)

Baz

They did, Peugeot Sport, there would be a big market for it if the price wasn't ridiculous.

welshpug

Oh yeah theres a few 6 speed units that can be used, the gpA 309 106 and saxo had zf and sadev units in 5 speed casings, guess the prices ;)

sensualt101

ok then we need a uk company to make a rival at a fair price! and organise a group buy to drive the cost down even further!

odds on that happening not too high i take it! :(

Baz

It would be crap no doubt if it did!

welshpug

you can get it in the uk just fine, sadev have an uk agent.

changingman

Thats made my mind up then,cheers fellas.

Sign in to follow this