• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
allye

Opinions On 6Speed 205's

welshpug

what do you call cruising speed? never had any issues with mine?

allye

70-80, your on 15's thoug aren't you?

welshpug

doesnt make that much difference, i'm on 50's, works out the same as 205 on 14" tyres.

allye

I'm on 55's IIRC. To be fair it prob just the magnex making it sound like it working harder than it is, linked with no rev guage.

Anyone confirm

I assume I just need to do the normal selector arm, release arm and diff change on the 6' box and use the MI16 clutch I am at the moment?

welshpug

yup, and some method to stop the tyre hitting the box, jubilee clip on the r/h side of the rack under the boot will work :)

or if youre running PAS then the gti6/rallye pas ram.

allye

yup, and some method to stop the tyre hitting the box, jubilee clip on the r/h side of the rack under the boot will work :)

or if youre running PAS then the gti6/rallye pas ram.

Nice one! I was aware of having to stop it hitting the tyre as its a MOT failure.

Could you elaborate on the jubilee clip method? Just put it on to stop to ram going any further?

BenC

Battery tray needs powdercoating, The exhaust manifold melted a bulkhead bung whilst on the ramp so I need to replace that with a metal one and put some reflective heat insulation on the bulk head. Also powdercoating the Servo (amongst other bits and bobs)

Ahhhh cheers for the update.

Sounds like despite most of the advice you're thinking about swapping the box anyway. Personally after driving a Defender most of the time with bugger all lock and a turning circle comparable to the QEII's, I really enjoy driving the 205 and being able to get into parking space's in one, or round a tight hairpin bend without a shunt!

allanallen

Yes that correct, that what I'm using at the moment and it seems a good box, with 14inch wheels it just feels like its labouring a little at crusing speed.

How much taller is a gti6s sixth gear compared to a vts's fith? I thought there was bugger all difference?

welshpug

depends which one, phase1 box had different fd, not a massive difference though.

over a vts box youre looking at roughly 200-250 rpm

allanallen

depends which one, phase1 box had different fd, not a massive difference though.

over a vts box youre looking at roughly 200-250 rpm

Well worth the hassle then?!

Anthony

Basically, the 6th on the later (shorter FD) GTi-6 box is nigh on identical to a 1.9 GTi 5th.

As Welshpug said, it's approximately 200rpm difference at 80mph based on 185/55R14 tyres - ~3900 vs ~4100.

Not a huge difference granted, but noticeable, especially if that's around the area where the exhaust booms like many aftermarket ones do.

harryskid

Sounds like its not worth the effort !

chipstick

Ali, i've got a GTi6 rack ram here if you need one.

allye

Cheers Dan, I'll stick with the 205 one for now as I may go back to the 5 speed at some point. I will do the clip method WP suggested.

Anthony

You're not running PAS are you Ali? Assuming not, then you can't go down the GTi-6 PAS ram route anyway, assuming that even limits the lock enough for use on a 205.

SurGie

A gti6 is just about tolerable ime but in a narrow 205, im sure it would be terrible.

I love the 205's turning circle and often gets away without having to do any 3 point turns, which i like :)

allye

IMG_20120204_134110.jpg

IMG_20120204_134058.jpg

:mellow: couple weeks and I'll be driving it and be able to see how it is.

GLPoomobile

Funny this topic has popped back up again today, as I just did my first ever U-Turn on a mini roundabout in my 166, which has a 6 speed 'box and a lack of steering lock. Had to make it a 3 point turn with traffic behind :blush:

Paul_13

Bloody hell didn't realised you lost that much lock!

allye

Will I be able to make it around the first hairpin at Prescott :lol:

harryskid

My rally gti6 runs a final drive of 4.9 and while driving to the mot station earlier this week i kept looking to change up from 5th :lol:

Paul_13

Will I be able to make it around the first hairpin at Prescott :lol:

That would be soo funny if you had to three point turn it :lol:

Spiky

i got a modified 205 rack, so that it dont hit the box,

as i broke a 205 with was running a gti6 box

infact i still have the modified gti6 box that came from the 205

Edited by Spiky

allye

i got a modified 205 rack, so that it dont hit the box,

as i broke a 205 with was running a gti6 box

infact i still have the modified gti6 box that came from the 205

How would you modify the box? Or are you just talking about the diff?

I'm not sure I want to go down the modified rack route rather make a bracket somewhere with a large bolt that I can adjust to get maximum lock.

cybernck

May I make a suggestion for the benefit of anyone considering a 6 speed box?

Perhaps if somebody could confirm how much lock you can safely apply on a 205, when using the 6 speed box (and with a standard 205 GTI rack of course), then anyone thinking of doing it could have a practise driving about and mentally limiting themselves to using no more lock than that, to see how they get on with it. It's obviously not as good as experiencing it for real but would be of some benefit to anyone who doesn't have access to another 6 speed 205 or 306 to have a test drive in.

I was thinking the same thing recently.

Can anyone do this for us, pretty please? :)

Sign in to follow this