• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
allanallen

Bilstein Grp N/a/challenge

Henry 1.9GTi

Thanks Kev,

I sent an e-mail via your website and will definitely be purchasing something through you, just trying to figure out whats available. If you could let me know either here or via the e-mail that would be great.

Cheers.

Henry.

allanallen

I think you can make 106 dampers go but they're shorter which may cause issues depending on your ride height, you'll have little droop with 25 bars so they may be ok....

GrpAs would be better suited but the 306 ones would be ideal IMO.

I'm sure Bilstein would re-valve some grpAs for you but it's about £80 a damper from memory :(

Henry 1.9GTi

got some grpAs in the post. Will see how I get on. Its not like it handled badly to start with. 80 is reasonable. If I feel it needs it will get in touch with bilstein.

cheers

Alan_M

Just out of interest, are the front tarmac inserts still available?

Batfink

For the Bilstein coilover bodies? Yes!

SimonJ

Including the long top spindle ones for the rose-jointed top mounts? Could be interested.

welshpug

http://www.kamracing.co.uk/manufacturers/bilstein/bilstein-group-n/citroen-saxo-peugeot-sport-bilstein-group-n-gravel-rally-damper-inserts-cup-spec-hubs.html

gravel ones are std short spindle, not sure if they can be modified to use a spherical jointed top mount, no details on the tarmac unit.

if they can be used on spherical top mounts thats a ruddy bargain price, I have a LTS gravel insert that needs a new piston rod due to corrosion, could be cheaper to buy new!

EdCherry

Rather than all this speculation and thinking that Bilsteins all actually meet the specification they put in their catalogues has anyone thought about getting some true figures from a damper dyno?

Tom Fenton

I guess not many of us can afford the cost of having that done, unless you can do it for us FOC?

EdCherry

I don't have the time to do it FOC unfortunately, although it is a relatively inexpensive process to have done. I can recommend a few people who I've supplied with Dyno's at previous employers that would happily do it.

I expect half these dampers were never a matched pair when they were new let alone now they are 10-15 years old, certainly doubtful they will match book specs - you really need to look into the condition of your parts before you try to analysis numbers that might not correspond to anything. A damper isn't just a hydraulic valve, its a pretty complex piece of machinery when your trying to analysis the performance of it.

alync406

After reading this I remembered I changed the rear shocks in my 205 which to me doesn't seem to handle like it used to and I couldn't understand why. I changed the shocks to 1038's I had bilsteins already but they were leaking, I just checked the numbers of the old shocks today and they are 3398B46 2313HO they also have 460 250 stamped underneath this, would that be the damping specs as the 1038's would be much less than that and may explain the difference in the car?

image.jpg1.jpg

allanallen

All my experience with Bilstein rear dampers are with brand new or rebuilt items, challenge, 205 grpA and 306 Tarmac. I've learnt the hard way that using old dampers is false economy, potentially ruining expensive events.

The difference between them all with my finely tuned arse dyno is very noticeable as I've used them all from new to (foolishly) destruction. grpAs and the 306 items are fantastic dampers when new but in rally use they're past there best after 1 event and by their 3rd/4th they 'go off' very quickly and try to kill you!

allanallen

After reading this I remembered I changed the rear shocks in my 205 which to me doesn't seem to handle like it used to and I couldn't understand why. I changed the shocks to 1038's I had bilsteins already but they were leaking, I just checked the numbers of the old shocks today and they are 3398B46 2313HO they also have 460 250 stamped underneath this, would that be the damping specs as the 1038's would be much less than that and may explain the difference in the car?

image.jpg1.jpg

2313s are 205 grpAs, 460/250 to my knowledge as mentioned earlier in the thread.

alync406

Thank Allan. Think I will have to get some new 2313's so and hopefully they will make the difference over the 1038's.

allanallen

They're a big improvement over the 1038s, ideal match for 21mm bars in my experience

welshpug

if you have them, send them to bilstein for a rebuild.

allanallen

New ones aren't much more from kam racing onces you factored in postage and potentially new bushes.

welshpug

how much is a service? I know the Group A type rear dampers are £150 each. I know bushes are a fiver each as I just got some.

allanallen

£80 per unit plus parts, that could be plus vat too from memory.

Dampers can be bought cheaper than £150 each

welshpug

where? the group N ones maybe!

allanallen

GrpNs are way less than £150! I think I paid that for a pair, although they're not worth that IMO!

Try asking suppliers for discount ;)

welshpug

I know, Group N are nearer £150 the pair.

wicked

They're a big improvement over the 1038s, ideal match for 21mm bars in my experience

I'm about to change to 21mm bars as well. Are the 2313s not too hard for fast road?

welshpug

ahh, KAM racing do them at £132 each.

doesn't matter what they are used for, you need to match whatever bar you have to an appropriate damper.

allanallen

I'm about to change to 21mm bars as well. Are the 2313s not too hard for fast road?

Perfect IMO, just make sure you match the front or it'll be a dog whatever dampers you fit ;) Edited by allanallen