• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MrMemzi

1.6 8V Throttle Bodies?

MrMemzi

ive thought long and hard. i cant be bothered with the agro of changing to 16v or even the 1.9 8v. i quite like my revvy angry 1.6. All i was wondering is if the throttle bodies setup is a good idea on this engine? and which way to go about getting it done. i heard a 1.4 quicksilver on TBs and that sounded a beaut

kyepan

well...yes you could do that, and would see a reasonable amount of power and torque, in relation to the capacity of the engine.

it will also sound fab.

but ...

it will cost 1500 at least

you'll be changing the engine management, some sensors, wiring loom.

Which is as much hassle as fitting an MI / GTI-6, in every respect except the actual change of engine itself.. Changing the engine is the easy part IMHO.

I don't think many people on here put bodies on 1.6 xu engines, except those that are sticking to class regulations, and then they usually use 16v heads.

so it would be fairly unique.

The jenvey manifolds for a 1.9 should bolt straight on as the heads are largely the same.

If it's about keeping the small engine, the 1.6 16v tu's are very tunable.

Sandy brown makes a set that go on a TU16v, and they (when combined with engines he builds) sound rather fab, and make very good power.

MrMemzi

well...yes you could do that, and would see a reasonable amount of power and torque, in relation to the capacity of the engine.

it will also sound fab.

but ...

it will cost 1500 at least

you'll be changing the engine management, some sensors, wiring loom.

Which is as much hassle as fitting an MI / GTI-6, in every respect except the actual change of engine itself.. Changing the engine is the easy part IMHO.

I don't think many people on here put bodies on 1.6 xu engines, except those that are sticking to class regulations, and then they usually use 16v heads.

so it would be fairly unique.

The jenvey manifolds for a 1.9 should bolt straight on as the heads are largely the same.

If it's about keeping the small engine, the 1.6 16v tu's are very tunable.

Sandy brown makes a set that go on a TU16v, and they (when combined with engines he builds) sound rather fab, and make very good power.

I just dont want to waste the little 1.6 only has 61k on it. so ill just squeeze what i can out of it for now. so in total including everything itll need how much do you think a Jenvey set up and engine management and wiring loom all in will cost me?

stuart1298

I just put a 2.0 8v turbo in, all the parts including the engine was less than a grand...

MrMemzi

find me one for that price and fitment ill take it ;):lol:

stuart1298

Done the work my self, bought an xm for 300 and sold the bits I didn't use for about 500 ;)

MrMemzi

Cheeky bugger! I wish i could but im not a massive fan of engine transplants!

stuart1298

I love 205s and always wanted a turbo'd car, and and like playing with cars, been a lot of work and moddifiying but well worth it,

omega

find me one for that price and fitment ill take it ;):lol:

ive just sold a 8v turbo engine complete with box for 100 in the for sale section

stuart1298

I saw that, was quite tempted myself as a spare engine

MrMemzi

ive just sold a 8v turbo engine complete with box for 100 in the for sale section

No good to me now is it lol. i always see things to late! i need a slave who will search the net for me day and night! my own secretary. i think i want to stay N/A but im sure if i saw a turbo'd 205 id change my views

welshpug

i'd much rather a 150 bhp 1.6 on bodies with a nice alloy block than a 150 bhp iron block 2.0 turbo ;)

omega

No good to me now is it lol. i always see things to late! i need a slave who will search the net for me day and night! my own secretary. i think i want to stay N/A but im sure if i saw a turbo'd 205 id change my views

only sold it today

d7ve_b

I'm with Welshpug on this one. Do you think a £1500 investment in the 1.6 would make roughly 150bhp?

dcc

Id rather something else all together :D:)

kyepan

so... do you have fifteen hundred quid to blow on throttle bodies, that's the question.

d7ve_b

I will have in 6 weeks when my wedding is done and dusted :)

In my view, it says 1.6 8v on the side so that's how I'd like to keep it, but with a few 'improvements'. I also want the sound of bodies!

kyepan

with the bodies, you can always drop in an s-16 afterwards. :)

J

MrMemzi

Im getting quoted over 2k for a full set up of Jenvey throttle bodies and engine management. Is this the kind of quotes i should be getting?

Tom Fenton

I'm with Welshpug on this one. Do you think a £1500 investment in the 1.6 would make roughly 150bhp?

:D

Come on Dave, you have seen what a 1.6 can do in a 205 !

:ph34r:

Miles

Quite easy to fit and install on a 8v, 2k Supplied, fitted & Mapped would be around what I normally charge

stuart1298

Gti 6 lump, and super charge it if ya looking at that amount of money :) won't get much quicker than that

feb

Gti6 lump and supercharging is going to be double ++ of what it costs for TB's though isn't it?

welshpug

well over double, the charger alone is £1300, fitting kit is around £1200, ECU mapping £400, Intercooler and ancillary mods, then finding a decent gti6 lump worth using, budget for a rebuild tbh!

You can build a 2.2 for what supercharging costs, and will be about as quick and sound better :P

one point many have missed, what will it be used for? competition of any sort or just trackdays/willy waving?

Edited by welshpug

Miles

Plus these are about the only item in the Automotive world that hold any value so a good investment,

Sign in to follow this