• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

chipstick

[engine_work] White 205 Gti6 Conversion

chipstick

So then it was off to Combe. A great day out with no issues at all with the car. Didn't miss a beat.

5b343238.jpg

a27074fd.jpg

4c985e85.jpg

JAV310312013.jpg

JAV310312046.jpg

JAV310312055.jpg

JAV310312061.jpg

JAV310312072.jpg

JAV310312083.jpg

JAV310312117.jpg

Edited by chipstick

chipstick

JAV310312149.jpg

JAV310312289.jpg

JAV310312429.jpg

DSC_0116.jpg

DSC_0126.jpg

DSC_0175.jpg

chipstick

Cocking the ole leg ;)

DSC_0275.jpg

DSC_0310.jpg

DSC_0336.jpg

DSC_0337.jpg

DSC_0342.jpg

wilyoldave

Looking good Dan, :wub:

chipstick

Back to present progress, Today I removed a few bits from the engine bay ready for some new additions.

427996f5.jpg

Started to feed the DTA ECU loom through

ed92e5c4.jpg

CaptainK

Awesome work Dan, and I'm so pleased to see some of "her" bits being used as intended :D (I assume the GTi6 brakes were the ones off mine?)

Look forward to pictures (and videos) of when the "other" new additions are fitted ;)

chipstick

No, the GTi6 brakes were off one of the ones I broke last year. Your's had a siezed slider so Russ_T had them to rebuild and put on his 205.

I finished wiring the DTA in yesterday. Fingers crossed I haven't messed it up. I did spend a fair amount of time writing down wiring numbers, pin locations and traced them back to my car - so hopefully it should work. If not, I wouldn't know where to start as I purely mirrored how it was when I removed it.

The only issues I have come across are some of the loom plugs fitting on to some sensors. I think there may be a chance that some of the sensors need the locating lugs smoothed off so the universal plugs can slide onto them fully and clip home. They are labelled so it's not as if I have them in the wrong place (but I wouldn't put it past me).

Made the mistake of starting to polish the Colin Satchell inlet and will have to polish the whole bloody thing now :lol:

Off to pug shortly for an inlet manifold gasket so I can get the bodies on over the next few days :ph34r:

Just have to somehow straighten the filter backing plate out then. The trumpets aren't budging out the way to remove the plate, but I'l have more purchase when it's bolted to the head. May be a job for Sandy. I will need a couple of replacement trumpets anyway, so may leave it for when it's mapped to be done at the same time.

chipstick

0ba3b7e5.jpg

Finished wiring. Obviously needs a tidy up. I am going to leave that for when it's running incase I need to swap any wires over.

39fdda47.jpg

Fitted the single coil pack and leads. Noticed the servo looks a state in that pic, so that will be painted at some point - probably when I change the master cylinder over. The bolrs that hold the pack on will also be changed for stainless items when I have a sec.

90ac72fb.jpg

Spent a bit more time polishing the inlet. I will have to sort that throttle cable bracket also. I didn't really want it shiny, but the ali was oxidised and very dull. It was either that or try and improve it - so I'll live with it. Will dull back down after a while anyway.

chipstick

It runs! :D

Will jot some more details down later.

CaptainK

It runs! :D

Hurrah! Videos and pics please. :)

Talking of pics, I'm very surprised to see the ITBs in that state (all oxidised and stuff). I guess the various "storage" places kept it with the bonnet open and the elements have all got in. I guess the sitting around was what also affected the brake calipers as I didn't have any problems with the brakes prior to the accident - she "anchored on" very well upon seeing a lorry come towards her :lol:

Edited by CaptainK

chipstick

So where did we get to..

I had the car up and running with the bodies on so that was a relief when it fired into life for the first time without any head scratching over wiring. I am suprised to be honest :lol:

I had a few little jobs to do, so I started by removing my front bumper and looked at lowering the rad. The radiator was forcing against the filter and blocking a lot of air flow. I initially grabbed some 6mm thick steel brackets and got them bent, but after many 'WTF 6mm' comments I decided to go to plan C and had some bits of ali cut and bent up which are ideal for the job.

AAB4148E-5387-48FC-9B5E-67528BC8856C-311-0000009072A57369.jpg

0879031B-1013-4C64-BFC7-47C6254685C3-311-0000009077F707FB.jpg

Popped in some rubber grommet whatsits with a metal bobbin in just the right size. I figured if it needed to lean slightly I would have the adjustment there.

chipstick

48187bc9.jpg

The existing backing plate was 'slightly' bent, so I purchased a new one along with a new ITG JC40/40 as the existing one had a rather large chunk missing from it.

7CE0C35C-CBC8-4610-BF19-5ED568D490D4-3859-0000044F3360EC97.jpg

chipstick

No pics of the radiator in it's new lower position. I would say it's been lowered a good 100mm or so. The top of it is about 5/10mm away from the bottom of the filter. I popped the fan cowling back on and cut the slam panel around the filter.

I then realised the bonnet bracing was pushing on top of the filter. I cut part of the top bracing out and it now clears. It has weakened the bonnet slightly - but luckily the Aerocatches keep it firmly closed. I certainly wouldn't want to run this setup with a standard catch, yet I wouldn't really want the filter being forced down either.

chipstick

So after my trackday earlier in the year I caught the bug. Unfortunately due to taking the car off the road during the summer to sort these bodies out, and other commitments I haven't actually got back out there, but will book a day for next month or perhaps Oct.

My intial thoughts after taking it out for the first time that the power was good, braking very good but the let down was the suspension. I was going to live with it for a while, or perhaps long term and just use the thing. After all, I don't usually keep my weekend cars for very long and get more enjoyment out of making changes rather than driving them, but figured after investing a fair bit on it - I may as well do what I wanted to it. I knew that I couldn't justify spending serious money on it chasing big power etc, so decided to effectively go for a 'mild' track setup.

I came across the Gaz group buy on here. I know Gaz don't always get the best feedback quality wise - but I have always heard good things about their customer service and for what I want, they should be more than up to the job.

C118D24A-BE36-4B1B-BF2F-86DABAB28640-311-0000009190970BCB.jpg

I did contemplate getting the car up on axle stands, fit the fronts and then source a beam and rebuild it over time. I have become a bit of a realist over the past year or so with this car, so figured it wouldn't be done in a short time period - and the 'summer' would have been and gone by the time it was back on it's feet. So I have decided to get the thing mapped, enjoy it for the next couple of months and then go all out on it over the winter. I have a cage and some seats stored away waiting to go in, so they can be done at the same time so that next spring, I can actually get in the thing and use it without having several wish lists.

So that's where we are. It's off to Sandy on Wednesday to be put through it's paces. Hopefully some enjoyable sunset coast runs to follow shortly :)

Wes

looking good mate. give me a shout when you get it back and we can go for a blast somewhere.

chipstick

looking good mate. give me a shout when you get it back and we can go for a blast somewhere.

I'l hold you to that. I'm surprised there's been no local meets arranged over the summer.

• Like 1

allye

Looking Dan, so much for selling it! If you arranged a meet shortly I would attend, selling the XS soon though :( off to the land of Aus for the winter, got my heart set on a laser GTI when I get back! :D

chipstick

:lol:

I suppose it's just the right time for me to do it. I never intended to keep it forever, but lifes too short eh. I'l pop a meet up.

CaptainK

So that's where we are. It's off to Sandy on Wednesday to be put through it's paces. Hopefully some enjoyable sunset coast runs to follow shortly :)

Good luck with it mate, hope it goes well :D

Apologies I forgotten to mention about needing the bonnet braces chopped a bit with the bodies installed. I used the standard catch and it worked fine (except for the time I forgot to close the bonnet correct, and consequently why my 205 ended up with a blue bonnet on it :lol:)

Gotta say though, that picture of the ITBs makes them look very sad. Can't believe that just a few months sat in an insurance yard has deteriorated their look so quickly. :(

Oh and we need videos of the "brappage" when its all done :D

chipstick

Well today Sandy Brown worked his magic.

Clearly a very talented gent who fuels himself on just Popcorn and Smokey Bacon Jacobs Oddities.

Photobucket video:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/blueovalspanker/5F5C95A3-530C-4795-9F00-BD6CDF97CDCC-1740-000001AC92A8981D.mp4

The way it drives compared to the existing map on the DTA is unbelievable.

Also top work from Colin Satchel sorting out a new filter backing plate for me.

• Like 1

Wes

fancy a run around town tomorrow evening?

chipstick

Yeah get on then Wesley!

chipstick

178 ATW on the dyno, but I'm going to take it back to where I had it rolling roaded several months ago as a comparison more than anything.

stef205

Nice power that dan, certainly sounds like it anyway.

(null)