• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

chipstick

[engine_work] White 205 Gti6 Conversion

chipstick
:lol: They are a perfect fit for me currently. I do fear an all inclusive holiday would render the car useless, so I do need to maintain my figure.

chipstick

1st of June soon came and went :lol:

Cage is finally all painted with 3 coats and new bolts.

3C33D280-62C3-4692-ABDA-C9919FA8364C-144

Carpet reinstated with new underlay and trimmed around cage fixings. I'm really pleased with how red it's come back after cleaning.

6412AD72-2C17-4826-AC4C-8715CD7DCD39-144

431D45A5-1534-4B9C-B422-B788B092F99C-144

Hubs and shock top mounts painted

170C2055-99D9-48EA-9A5F-A5E450C9B008-144

C85D1AF4-5E67-44ED-81CB-9DC0A9DC72E2-144

I had to cut my mirror adjusters short to avoid the cage. I found some large nipples made great covers to neaten the end.

B76F998C-1E44-4643-90BF-14842B3A1922-144

Almost ready to come down off the stands and be taxed when the above is fitted over the next few days.

Spiky

Looks bloody great

chipstick

Part ex'd my used 309 GTi driveshafts for some AMK's.

D275F526-AE72-455A-9D0B-7DB96B03C8E8-200

I've had a VTS box I've wanted to fit for a while so I swapped the appropriate bits over including the diff for a 205 item.

2320F99E-4DC6-4F92-8BA6-D97A3D7D2C1D-193

Thanks to Damo for popping over to help me lift and line it up.

0A2C0B2D-3FC8-48CF-A69F-935FF7DC4904-215

A616DCEA-F49F-4BCC-BC1B-648B887371A1-215

All fitted along with 309 front setup :)

Weser

Coming along nicely. Looks great!

chipstick

This came today :D

2AF293DA-6C08-4DD6-906A-7EC0E98DB130-227

7FE7031D-B6CD-4269-A9C5-9212E1E5DA3C-227

Edited by chipstick

Anthony

Looks like you're doing a nice tidy job there Dan, very much a 205 "Clubsport" (to pinch a Porsche 968 name)

Makes a refreshing change from most caged 205 track cars that look a mess and are frankly unpleasant to drive on the road.

Spiky

Agreed looks great , but a proper track need to be light and having carpets isn't a way to make it light :)

Would love some nice bits inside, but I'm not prepared to compromise lol

welshpug

carpet weighs sod all :lol:

Anthony

Guess it depends on the proportion you use them on track compared to the road - most seem to be on track about 10% of the time tops, a mere handful of times a year at most, and yet the car is compromised for the 90%+ of the time that it's used on the road, and all for what - maybe 10kg tops of carpet/dash/trim that will be all but indistinguishable to the majority of drivers given that it's between the axles and lowish?

Dan's approach of combining the cage and buckets that are beneficial for track use, with retaining interior carpet/trim will make for a nice track and fast road toy, which is - I believe - exactly what he's aiming for. Lose that carpet and trim, and suddenly it's a whole lot less road useable and a less pleasant place to be - road noise drones / echoes more, you've nowhere to store any oddments other than the side of the seat, condensation is an issue in colder conditions, and the heat from the exhaust tunnel slowly cooks your left leg... and that's before any aesthetic considerations that are, of course, a personal thing. And all for what - an performance gain on track so small that you probably barely measure/feel it?

Yours is rather more dedicated to track use than the majority of so called "track cars" are I suspect where shaving those extra kilos makes far more sense, particularly when you've gone to the extent that you have.

Spiky

Yeah, agreed 100% with all that Anthony , his wont be noisy on the road compared to mine either for one

:)

chipstick

I drove it twice with the carpet out and it wasn't unbearable noise wise at all. In fact I didnt notice a freat deal of difference - but then it had been several months since I drove it. I decided to retain the carpet because I personally really dislike the look of bare floors which soon become scuffed and marked. Coupled with the fact my dash is in very good order and I'd rather retain some aesthetics rather than form. A personal preference I suppose.

This year was supposed to be a track orientated year for me actually but a combination of buying a house and the car being 'out of sight out of mind - and out of MOT' meant I haven't had the chance to get it how I wanted it or to a stage where I felt it worth taking out. The suspension was really due an overhaul.

As mentioned the carpet weighs little along with the new underlay I fitted. I figured unless you go all out - it's not worth it for how it looks. And no, a hole saw wont be meeting my rear quarter panels to save a kilo either :lol:

The main purpose for the car will be as Anthony says - fast road and next year intentionally several track day weekends. I'm looking forwards to the 1st July when I tax it and can prowl Exmoor and kick its head in.

damo

Exmoor would be good mate, stop at selworthy for a cream tea on the way out through porlock.

Also don't forget the quality underlay i have for you :) another 10kg !

harryskid

Exmoor would be good mate, stop at selworthy for a cream tea on the way out through porlock.

Also don't forget the quality underlay i have for you :) another 10kg !

Those orange indicators were good mate! :lol:

Caddyshack

I have taken the same philosophy after having a stripped bare 911 track car that I returned to road spec I realized how much better the car was with a bit of sound proofing, my Cossie pug has had a full dynamat treatment on the whole shell and then sound proofing on top of that...sure I have probably added 10kg to 20kg but with 360 bhp it hardly really matters and it should be much nicer on the road.

chipstick

Taxed the old girl yesterday :)

Took it for a spin earlier and I'm very impressed with the VTS box!

Buckling up in the harness with zero seat movement combined with a refreshed suspension and running gear set up made for a great ride. I'm using 250lb springs and I'm very pleased with them on the road to be honest. Currently still have a standard rear setup but have berlingo bars to go in my 309 beam shortly and believe they will work well together.

Couldn't resist getting a quick photo to prove it made it out on the Tarmac. Can't believe it's been off the road since October :o

3197520C-AD26-49C6-BC4C-87FEBB118398-362

Edited by chipstick

welshpug

sort that headlight out :P

looks like mine :lol:

Spiky

Looks like mine too :)

Nice feeling getting back on the road inst it :)

chipstick

I know I know :P I put the lights back in earlier quickly before popping out and ashamedly noticed that but shrugged it off. Had a quick look and it would appear that the whole black adjuster on the inside needs lowering yet the 2 buts are already at their lowest point. Must be more adjustment on it? The twister just moves it in and out.

chipstick

Looks like mine too :)

Nice feeling getting back on the road inst it :)

Isn't it just! I was smiling like a Cheshire cat going over the hills. It has been too long! Straight away I remembered what I had been missing and now I look forwards to making the most of it over the summer.

Bought a house recently which has a lot of space and a garage so this winter I can continue to tinker and do more with it to get it to where I want to be.

allye

Yey! Good work mate, see you on the 14th!

chipstick

Yey! Good work mate, see you on the 14th!

Make that Friday the 12th ;)

• Like 2

iain

love this build so far mate very inspirational

chipstick

love this build so far mate very inspirational

Very kind words. Thanks :)

Latest purchases include a set of Citroen C5 lightweight alloy 'steels' to pop my R888's on and a pair of 21.3mm berlingo bars.

Other than that I'm enjoying driving it :)