• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Will Eastman

[engine_work] My New Car - 1.6 Gti To Mi16

Will Eastman

Hey guys Iv been knocking about on this forum for just over a year now, and for that time I have owned a 205 xs. Towards the end of its life it has become smokey and it recently failed its mot on emitions. I had been toying with the thought of engine transplants and rebuilds when i went to look at a little 1.6 gti (now the insurance has come down for me) and i just had to buy it.

So here it is, 85,000 miles on the clock with a different engine recently put in and lots of receipts, no tax but a full mot.

I payed £850

DSC03128.jpg

DSC03131.jpg

DSC03133.jpg

DSC03130.jpg

DSC03157.jpg

DSC03150.jpg

DSC03151.jpg

So what do you think good buy?

Also a few qualms...

the fuel cap looks like this

DSC03152.jpg

why does it not have the usual fuel cap which intergrates with the rear quarter badge.

The ingintion/door/boot key fits it so it seems that it is standard.

Any ideas??

allye

You will be able to take that fuel cap cover off and glue a cherry red one onto it :) She looks very nice, needs a good clean, polish and plasticare and it'll be gleaming! Stange for those ph2 cloth seats to be in such good nic, noice tweeters m8 :ph34r:

tomcolinjones

Looks a nice example. Like Ali says, a good polish does wonders.plastic treatment and, may i ad, a good service can make a car look and feel 10x better

Good luck with the car... and im sorry to hear about the poor old XS :(

Edited by tomcolinjones

Will Eastman

Hey yeh the seats are in good nick, sitting a little high so might lower them on 5 door subframes. Yeh id quite like to get the car polished, i havnt got a polisher and have never polished a car before, any idea how i could get it done, n home much somewhere would charge. Is that a sarcastic 'i like the tweeters'?? haha theyr from my old xs and sound awsum. Also any ideas where i could get the trim to put on the fuel cap?

Another few queeries about the car.

-On the rear quarter trim the upper one doesnt say 1.6 as iv seen on other gti's why doesnt mine have this.

-The reversing light doesnt work, iv checked the bulb n the fuse but theyr fine.

-There is a rattling when accerating around left hand corners and i think that it is the exhaust rattling against the rear vallance, do you think this could be what it is?

Cheers for the feedback

GLPoomobile

1/4 badge is blank because it's not original. Probably fallen off or been nicked. Same as the petrol cap is not original. Just cos the keys match doesn't mean much, the whole lock set could have been replaced from a donor car that the petrol cap came from.

The reversing light will hopefully be the usual corroded connector on the back of it. Get a multimeter or test lamp and check to see if there's any current getting to the pins with the plug removed from the lamp. If not, dip the plug in a cup full of mild acidic solution (lemon juice, lime sclae remover etc) and then give the terminals a rub with a smal piece of wet 'n' dry paper. If that doesn't get it working it could be the reverse light switch in the front of the gear box.

Rattling is most likely the heat shield above the back-box. They rust and come loose from the mountings.

Daviewonder

Nice tidy example of a 1.6 you have there mate, should come up lovely with a little tlc.

Also any ideas where i could get the trim to put on the fuel cap?

Click

monkee87

Looks like a nice car! :D

Deffo plasticare the bumpers and side trims though. I'd also get some rubber care on the floor mats so they're actually black! :lol:

Will Eastman

Yeh iv already used pasticare on my old car n woked a treat so that on the shopping list. Yeh the matts are anoying too, whats a good product to use on them?

monkee87

Some sort of rubber/vinyl care usually does the trick. Take them out and wash them and go from there, sometimes water does the world of good. :)

tomcolinjones

Yeh id quite like to get the car polished, i havnt got a polisher and have never polished a car before, any idea how i could get it done, n home much somewhere would charge.

Do it yourself! by hand.It takes time but you get the satisfaction that you did it yourslef :D Try T cut first and see if it goes flat and back to proper cherry red. then use a good polish like AUTOGLYM... all after a good wash tho.

I use tcut on windows aswell, and then polish after (dont polish the windscreen as it can go smudgy) its amazing how much grime comes out of the glass.

I was un aware of the 5 door subrame thing! good to know.... obviously you cant tilt the seats foreward?

Edited by tomcolinjones

Baz

Nice little 205 you've got yourself there by the looks of it Will! :)

Don't use T-Cut! Something half decent, like AutoGlym etc is fine, they do Super resin polish & Radiant Wax polish and if you need something with a bit more of a cut to it, the Pink labelled Paint Restorer will help. :)

BusEngineer

Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber Care is very good for your mats

Looks great fella, a tidy and straight looking GTi for 850 quid, i think its a good buy at that money

lukesaddy

looks nice and original mate, very tidy example :) decent polish and a new fuel cap and itll be sweet :)

Will Eastman

Hey done a bit of plasticaring and given the car a good clean and here is the results...

Looking a whole lot better i reckon

IMG_2296edit.jpg

(the white one is my bro's XS)

IMG_2324edit.jpg

IMG_2316edit.jpg

IMG_2315edit.jpg

IMG_2314edit.jpg

IMG_2309edit.jpg

The red bumper strips are looking a bit shabby, any ideas on how to get these looking better t-cut/respray??

oh yeh n could someone move this thread to the project section so I can make it into a bit of a build/restor thread, cheers

Edited by lilwille

24seven

Looking far better after a clean, looks like a great buy for £850, makes me want my cherry 1.6 - Mi16 back. Tip with the black trim, use a heat gun instead of any spray on bumper care stuff. Do it carefully and with a little patience so as not let it get too hot and the results are much longer lasting with no blotchyness. As for the red inserts, you could always try popping them out (carefully) and giving them a quick once over with a rattle can.

You might find yourself saving a bit on insurance with an Mi16 over the standard 8v. A few others have reported it, and when I put mine on the road and insured it I got a quote from the same people on the same car, but without the conversion and it would have cost me just over £200 more with the smaller engine.

Edited by 24seven

Will Eastman

Hey bought to head home from uni once iv done my exams and am gunning to get working on my car. A few things I want to do...

-Respray red bumper inserts (should i spray these peugeot diablo red? or just any old red??)

-Tidy up the engine bay

On the topic of tidying up the engine bay im not looking to add bling or anything like that, just wanting to get it looking as close to new as i can. Have had a look around and have gathered cleaning out the coolant and wiper fluid bottles but apart from that I cant seem to find much on this topic in terms of builds and tips of what to do, any pointers??

Also could one of the moderators move this to the build thread, or direct me on how to do this, thanks

monkee87

Do your mats look like this yet? :P

9622a3e8.jpg

Bumper stripes should be Peugeot cherry red.

As for cleaning the engine, just degrease it. Clean the washer and coolant bottles. Maybe paint the inlet mani with VHT paint. Polish the most visible bits of red paint etc. :)

Will Eastman

Yeh though when i sprayed them with auto glym black dye they went abit shiny. Later realised i should have wiped it on, duno if there is a way to get it off n start again.

Oh right, I looked on halfords and the only saw diablo red but just looked again and further down there is cherry, thanks.

Sounds cool, any tips for which degreaser to get, iv tried two before, one aerosol which was good and one squirty spray which was rubbish, whats a good one to get?

carbers205

Get some tyre shine on there lad, makes the world of difference!

Good looking car, its nice to see a shiny red cherry rather than a faded orange one!

Will Eastman

What tyre shine on the matts? Thats what i used n i got shiny bits where i sprayed to much on n it dryed thick, any ideas on getting rid of this??

Alan77

Very nice!

I just used white spirit to wipe over the red trim strips after plasticaring the trim, they came up like new.

Will Eastman

Yeh i think mine have got black over stray on them (from previous owner) will try again before i stray up though.

Will Eastman

It started off as just a normal tidy up and now I just want more power so have gone and bought myself an Mi16.

Have now bought the engine an conversion parts (from dcc) and have just done abit of work tidying up and painting parts as Im abit of a tart and want it to gleam under the bonnet :) .

So here are some pics of when I got it....

IMG00521-20120212-1541.jpg

IMG00522-20120212-1541.jpg

IMG00527-20120212-1543.jpg

IMG00524-20120212-1542.jpg

And as the work progressed

IMG_3899.jpg

IMG_3903.jpg

IMG_3892.jpg

IMG_3891.jpg

IMG_3922.jpg

IMG_3920.jpg

• Like 1

NDJN

Looks like this is going to be a good build. looking forward to seeing more mate!

Josh_Quant

its amazing what a lick of paint does :D