• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bjmulford

What Is A Replica T16 Worth?

Henry Yorke

I think it is too early to insure realistically as the value only really comes when it is road worthy. You will really need different wheels to do it justice, preferably split rims and these are pricey. Dimmas usually hold more money as they are semi "factory" and a recognised kit in the classics world.

I reckon about £2 to £2.5k if all finished to a high standard and on an 8v engine

M@tt

what about some larger alloys to fill the arches?

post-3557-1298681027_thumb.jpg

pugpete1108
what about some larger alloys to fill the arches?

post-3557-1298681027_thumb.jpg

venoms baby, proper retro chavtastic :lol:

Baz
I think you need to calm down .It was`nt the usual whats it worth thread .And if it had a t16 body ,engine ,or running gear it would BE a t16 .So is a replica gun still a replica because it doesnt shoot bullets!

Calm down? Im fine dear. No it's a replica because it IS a gun that's had parts removed to stop it from being dangerous. A replica is an exact copy of something although is not original.

Therefore a 205 with a bodykit with nothing remotely similar to a 205 T16 when you know what one actually looks like, is not a 'Turbo 16 replica'. People claiming such gets my goat.

And I really don't understand why people think they're so unreachable, if you'll never be able to buy a T16 I really wonder why you're wasting your time and money on a 'replica' because you'll certainly never afford somewhere to live if you couldn't ever afford a T16, especially when you've just wasted probably around a 6th of the money you could of bought a real one with!

I'm far from rich and was seriously contemplating buying one last year, they're rare yes, but not because of the pricetag...

Anyway, the 205 in question actually looks pretty good! And I'm sure will look & be a nice car when done if you like that kind of thing, I'm sorry it's just not my cup of tea, I can appreciate the effort that's gone into it and each to their own of course!

Edited by Baz

GLPoomobile
And I really don't understand why people think they're so unreachable, if you'll never be able to buy a T16 I really wonder why you're wasting your time and money on a 'replica' because you'll certainly never afford somewhere to live if you couldn't ever afford a T16, especially when you've just wasted probably around a 6th of the money you could of bought a real one with!

I'm far from rich and was seriously contemplating buying one last year, they're rare yes, but not because of the pricetag...

You are applying some very odd logic there. So someone shouldn't try to build a "homage" (let's not get tied down in the finer detail of how accurate it is) to something they love, if they can't afford the real thing. Wtf?

Being able to afford property and being able to afford to indulge a very expensive passion are not the same. For most people the choice would go in the favour of property as it's one of lifes important milestones - you can't raise a family in a Turbo-16. And I don't think you can get a mortgage to buy one either! I suspect that for the majority of people fortunate enough to be able to indulge their passion for such cars, it's because they have disposable income and already own their own home.

And don't forget the security and insurance implications of owning a car like that. Keeping a "replica" in a typical garage and insured for a few grand is one thing, but how many "normal"people would do the same with a turbo-16?

I'm not sure I've got my point across properly. If the your personal circumstances and choices in life mean you have the chance to own a real turbo-16 then bully for you, but those who'd rather spend a fraction the cost on a loose copy shouldn't be criticised for their choice.

Baz

No, sorry you've totally missed my point again, not once did I criticise the OP, I just don't really see the point when most people don't whince at ordering a new car these days, circa £30k, so what's the difference?

Maybe I know better as it would seem, but a T16 is hardly unreachable for most working/middle class people, £30k isn't £300k, you just have to find one, but they are around, and the storage and insurance implications wouldn't be too dissimilar to a £30k slightly rare/quick car. Hence building a replica to me is like building a replica of the latest 3 series, Vectra or even the latest Evo or Scooby, only you've spent a fifth, or more, of what the real thing would cost only your 'replica' doesn't look, sound or go like the real thing at all, why would anyone do that? Same difference to me.

Edited by Baz

SurGie

Why would anyone want 8 205's, its because thats what they want no matter how ridiculous it seems to others.

Baz

Ffs is it really that difficult to understand?

Now you're veering off on some vaguely related tangent regarding me, my hobbies and why that involves owning multiple cars of different specs. Barely the same! How can you judge though? Some people may choose to build and collect model cars, each to their own exactly as I said earlier. My posts have all come from the fact that the OP has said he'll never be able to afford his dream car, a T16, why? That statement to me sounds like he's stupid given he's spending a sixth or so of what a real one could be had for, on a 'replica'! See my point? Only the difference is, which I understand fully and therefore don't actually think he's 'stupid', just perhaps un-educated on the subject.

I can understand why the general consensus is that T16's are expensive, because for most part they are, especially when the ones advertised are rally versions, low mileage or somehow special, with pedigree etc, the average ones aren't so massively overpriced and therefore not overtly advertised as such, so you have to look harder for them.

I kind of kick myself for not buying a friends one when I had the chance, but i'd have to have sold my toys, have no savings etc and then have a very special car, but that ultimately I can't use for what I like to use my cars for as it wouldn't fit into many classes very well or would just be uncompetitive. Plus, they're not my dream car so why would I sacrifice all that, my toys, hobbies, savings etc... A Ferrari F40 however... :)

Be a little broader-minded!

Edited by Baz

dodsworth_gti

i see what baz is saying,if some one spends say 5-10 grand building a replica,but could buy the real thing for 30 grand then why not save and get the real thing,as they are not that far of affording one,correct me if im wrong baz??

but here this,even if people could afford one,would you still buy one?? id rather have a car that i could use but thats just me

if i had alot of money then i would buy one as i wouldnt mind it sitting there doing not a lot

to be fair though baz,when you type replys ect you come across harsh and its hard to see your point some time

Tesstuff

Baz surely even you can see the replies within this thread are hopefully said to try and help you?

Maybe a lot of what you have said is correct, but the harsh way it comes over could be altered.

The OP is a new member and it was a terrible 'initiation' for him having your first post as a reply.

I too have to watch my replies, so I am not in a glass house pointing the finger in any way :)

Tom Fenton

Some of the replies on this thread, especially near the start of the topic, make me f***1ng ashamed to be a part of this forum.

To be quite frank, to the moderators, grow some shoulders and start moderating. People are quick enough to complain that this forum is going down the pan, but with a response like this to a new guy, that lets remember, shares the same interest as we all do, and the subsequent s*itty comments, then it is no suprise.

Damn disgraceful.

To the guy that started the topic, welcome to the place, and I hope you can see past some of the small minded idiots.

Peetypug

I can't help with your valuation, but it looks quite smart!

As for the harshness of some the replies, I'm not surprised to be honest. (this isnt a dig at the op, but at the small mindedness of some people)

Not everybody has the superior know-how of some people on this board, but the op is a newb and nothing he wrote deserved your reply baz

Ps well said Tom!

Edited by sorrentopete

Baz

Yet again i have to stand up for myself on this forum because alot of people are too inept to view something from a broader view other than their own, so either post some crap condemning me for what they think i'm like or getting at, or because they're merely a little sheep without their own mind to make up.

Oh boo-hoo. So you read my replies and thought it offensive; Firstly, why? But more importantly, so what if you did? So who's problem is that? That's it, yours, nobody else's, you read it, you took offence whether it was meant like that, 'it's words on a screen, who cares?' as someone said a few weeks ago!

So what do you think should be done; Give me warn, ban me, sue me... why? Because i have an opinion that i continue to excercise and am within my right in airing on a public forum, but because sometimes i'm told off for it and others i'm not? :lol:

My initial reply was an overly opinionated almost rant yes, on purpose! I thought it was so overt nobody could possibly see it for anything but it making the point it was! So i disagree with what's been said. So now the mods need to 'grow a backbone' when a few weeks ago they 'do a fine job' & there's simply not a problem...?? So which is it then? Who decides? How?

The 'small minded idiots' are those not seeing the bigger picture. Whether the OP is new or not i care not, because i answered the question honestly from my point of view but didnt use nice words and make things seem like bunny rabbits and candy floss, or pull down my trousers and bend over welcoming him in, makes me a c*nt in your opinion? Ok i'm a c*nt. ;)

Btw, if it matters to you OP, for your benefit and nobody else's (seeing as we seem to now have to start being all nice & welcoming & being careful what we say) welcome to what could be the internets best technical forum, but isn't because of some people's overly worried/scared/PC/nanny state-depicted or just general petty attitudes... We're not always like this and apologies it's come out in your thread, but there seems to be some ridiculous politics going on here recently. Tbh i think you got my point in my first post did you not? Yes it may have come across a tad 'harsh' (have a violin symphony! ;)) but i'm sure you're not a 7 year old girl with a weak bladder and it hit the nail on the head about adverse opinions and how hard something so non-generic can be to price, to a point anyway, did it not??

That point i think i made very well, as does the rest of this thread prove opinions and things generally can be perceived very differently and how something can be multi-faceted, (i think the aftermath has proven that very nicely) hence the question is not an easy one to answer, where someone may love it and pay a lot for it, another may be disgusted. Two sides to a coin...

So is it me whose small minded, or those that skim-read a reply and didn't actually think about and take it in for what it was and are therefore jumping on me because of their own ineptitude?

I've given years to this forum and sometimes i like to think i've been quite helpful, even if with my overly 'characterful' replies or riddles that try to make people see another POV, hence i want to continue to do so. But (& i am not saying this is such a case!) i refuse to pussy foot around idiots that post crap before engaging their brain and neither will i exactly tell, guide or show people how to stop being a moron. I will however, in my own way 'subtly' give people a clue and point them in the right direction of not thinking like an idiot but without actually doing so, sometimes though this may consist of my opinions and attitude, as i'm entitled to, but it might not always be straight forward i'm afraid, I didn't grow up making my own mistakes throughout my difficult life to learn FA from them and not appreciate what those mistakes and misgivings taught me, therefore i believe people should be allowed to find their own way in life, but a little gentle guidance or advice is fair, sometimes this may consist of a ridiculously adverse opinion to the one they obviously hold, it's done in jest, light heartedly to point out exactly the opposite of their way of thinking. Is that so hard to get your head around? We're getting a little deep, but may explain why i reply in the manner i do sometimes, not that i should have to justify anything to anyone. As the saying goes, you can lead a horse to water...

Most of my recent replies are opinionated and may make me seem quite conceited. Do you not think i'm aware of this? So there's no way that i might do this on purpose? Shock horror...! There'll always be a reason for this and it's never meant to be quite as harsh as some people seem to read into, but that in itself means it's actually having a larger effect, so it's a double edged sword so to speak.

We'll let the lynch mob decide as usual though; like a lot of my replies, i'll always speak my mind, but i'll never tell anyone how to think or live their lives as i've said but; all you self righteous posters who think they never put a foot wrong with your holier than thou attitude clearly are narrow minded yourselves in being like that, try reading something rather than just jumping on it seeing it as an attack because it's from me, or possibly because of what is written rather than because you think it's from one person's 'narrow-minded, one sided' view and you may just start to make a breakthrough in yourself and see things from a broader perspective. Yes, you may now be thinking something along the lines of 'but you shouldn't be like that, i don't agree with it...' or similar, but then you're being exactly the same as me, that you're condemning!

Anyway, TBH half the time i think people are jumping on things because they're bored, gives them something to do/think/bitch about. ;)

Now whose small minded? :lol:

SurGie

But Baz, the OP asked what's his replica is worth for an insurance valuation, not whats peoples opinions of it, of which you seem to have mostly posted. about.

[/quote 'it's words on a screen, who cares?' quote /]

You seem to though.

Edited by SurGie

hcmini1989

I may look like a t*t saying this because ive just skimmed over you post and not read it properly ( i have a very short attention span).But you are entitled to you opinion but you wouldnt say to someone in person "oh your car looks s*ite ,whats the point in it etc etc" .But you find it ok to do on here. And if you would go to a show for example and this was there and go to the op and say that you need to get some manners mate.

And sorry to the op back on topic

Edited by hcmini1989

Raccoon

Whether it's a T16 replica or not, I think it's looking really smart so far. Would love to see it when it's finished ;)

Daviewonder

I think he might have been scared off ;)

Peetypug

Baz, just chill out

As has just been written, he asked for an idea on valuation not whether he should set it in fire!

there was no need for your reply whether he is a newb or veteran of the board!

if you felt so strongly about it then you should have complained to a mod ;)

j_turnell

Looks like a nice car ;) Welcome to the forum! I would agree with some of the above £2.5-3k mark.

Atari Boy
Some of the replies on this thread, especially near the start of the topic, make me f***1ng ashamed to be a part of this forum.

To be quite frank, to the moderators, grow some shoulders and start moderating. People are quick enough to complain that this forum is going down the pan, but with a response like this to a new guy, that lets remember, shares the same interest as we all do, and the subsequent s*itty comments, then it is no suprise.

Damn disgraceful.

To the guy that started the topic, welcome to the place, and I hope you can see past some of the small minded idiots.

Amen!

Edited by Atari Boy

SurGie

I dont get why people say around 2-3k mark when i got my car that was in a lot worse condition compared to the OP car. I got an agreed valuation of 3.5k with only a few photo's with no visit from them. So i think you would easily get a 5k agreed valuation with the insurers. As for selling off well you would get far more if you had a good 16v engine in the shell.

allye

AArrrrrr man, this had turned into another thread I have neither the patience or time to read!

I just want to see more pictures of the car!? PROJECT THREAD! ;)

Baz

Tbh i'm astonished at some of the frankly ridiculous replies & sheep like '+1' & 'Agreed' comments, standing up for the OP like i've stole his sweets and pulled his hair. You need to man the F up ffs, what's wrong with you all?

I wrote a reply, it may have been opinionated, so what, you all do the same just not as overtly, my replies are just me, get over it. But don't for a minute start telling me what to do, or you can go and put parts of your body inside another part of your body... if you catch my drift.

And if you don't get that then you really are a moron.

Baz
AArrrrrr man, this had turned into another thread I have neither the patience or time to read!

I just want to see more pictures of the car!? PROJECT THREAD! ;)

Tell me about it. Now there's something i could really opinionate on, a project thread... MMMmmmmmmm all those nasty horrible words i could write... :lol: