• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bjmulford

What Is A Replica T16 Worth?

bjmulford

Hi all, i need to get my project insured as its nearing completion. I have created a replica T16 from two donor 205s. its done 120,000 on the dash. Basically the car was completely stripped and rebuilt. everyhng has been cleaned/overhauld painted and put back on. its a standard 1.9 8v engine with a wider (peugeot 306) rear beam fitted with disks. its got front/rear split breaks with an adjustable prortioning valve and hydraulic fly-off handbrake. new brake lines, s/s braided flexi hoses. s/s braided fuel lines. will have new bucket seats and harnesses. new front shocks. It has proper holes in the rear quarters and all the t16 decals. To all intents and purposes it will look like a t16! Can you give me some sort of guidence on its market value please, ta Ive seen a similar one on e bay for 5 grand??!! Hopefully it will be ready for pugfest and willl make it up the hill! I will try and post a pic and will do a full storyboard when its finished, cheers and thanks for a great website, Baz. stop press sorry i cant work out how to post a picture!!!!

allye

So its 205 GTI with a T16 kit? I think £5k is a bit steep for a body kit, some s/s lines and buckets though!

Picture would help. Also Why are you asking if you intend to keep it? Or until pugfest at least.

Baz

Does it have a T16 body? Does it have a T16 engine? Does it have T16 running gear or anything remotely similar? From what you've said, no. So how is it a T16 replica? And why are you calling it that? IMO it won't do you any favours at all.

What's it worth? Nothing IMO because it won't be a T16 replica and i'd rather set fire to such a thing than put my money anywhere near it.

But then someone else who likes possibly unreliable modified one-off pieces of fibreglass monstrosities on wheels may pay a small fortune for something that they feel is a one-off or similar. Basically what i'm saying is, like any modified or different from the generic, it's hard to value because it's worth what 'someone' would willingly pay for it, but you have to find that someone in the niche market you've created yourself and most people wouldn't touch it with a barge-pole.

Apologiesb this may all appear pretty harsh, but it's a masively open ended question and one that which isn't usually greatly received on here, especially from an insurance POV. Insure it as a modified 205, which is exactly what it is, possibly with an agreed value at what it's cost you.

Leet205

if you sign up to photobucket and upload the pics there and copy the img code and paste it in here we will be able to see the pic

lfallgti

Agree with Baz's post, it sounds like it's basically a modified 1.9.

It doesn't even have 16 valves.

Is it a T16 kit or a Dimma mistaken for a T16? Either way, i personally wouldnt call it a replica T16.

Edited by lfallgti

allye

I agree with Baz. We do seem to get a lot of 'what's it worth?' threads. They are indeed, not well recieved genrally.

bjmulford
Does it have a T16 body? Does it have a T16 engine? Does it have T16 running gear or anything remotely similar? From what you've said, no. So how is it a T16 replica? And why are you calling it that? IMO it won't do you any favours at all.

What's it worth? Nothing IMO because it won't be a T16 replica and i'd rather set fire to such a thing than put my money anywhere near it.

But then someone else who likes possibly unreliable modified one-off pieces of fibreglass monstrosities on wheels may pay a small fortune for something that they feel is a one-off or similar. Basically what i'm saying is, like any modified or different from the generic, it's hard to value because it's worth what 'someone' would willingly pay for it, but you have to find that someone in the niche market you've created yourself and most people wouldn't touch it with a barge-pole.

Apologiesb this may all appear pretty harsh, but it's a masively open ended question and one that which isn't usually greatly received on here, especially from an insurance POV. Insure it as a modified 205, which is exactly what it is, possibly with an agreed value at what it's cost you.

Thanks for your gently encouragement mr far-Q, I would dearly have loved to create a true 205 t16 but a furgussun 4x4 system is pretty rare on ebay these days let alone the cost!

bjmulford
I agree with Baz. We do seem to get a lot of 'what's it worth?' threads. They are indeed, not well recieved genrally.

Well i seem to have upset all your sensibilities so i will just go away!! I didnt realise a little question would cause such a big deal!

yippeekayay

you cant not show us a picture now, just because of some of the stablished grumps!!! get a picture or two up but dont be suprised if you get slammed if its got 8 exhausts lexarse lights and a banging stereo...

dodsworth_gti

as much as im with baz on this one,its definatly not a t16 replica at all but....

a reply like that wasnt really called for was it.new member ect and they get pulled to bits......

allye
Well i seem to have upset all your sensibilities so i will just go away!! I didnt realise a little question would cause such a big deal!

I couldn't care less how many people ask what their cars are worth on here. All I'm saying is the majority will not reply or even read it.

(P.S I'm not a grumpy one and would love to see pictures!)

Edited by allye

Richie

Welcome :D

Post a few pictures and you may get an accurate estimate as to its value.

Bigtimmy

If you've done it well insure it for £2k, if its been codeged together and looks like a pig in a poke it's £1k.

It's super difficult to tell without a photo or two.

Don't be put off by the replies, but like any forum, sometimes the same questions get asked over and over again and as mentioned some people will take the time to reply, some won't and Baz will always call a spade a spade which is why we like him! :D

We're a good bunch on here and over the last 18 months I have found the forum to be a fantastic resource, either with whats on here already or the superb knowledge base thats out there.

Perhaps if you'd posted a picture and said "I'm going to insure this for £5k, what do you lot think?, is it too much?" you might have got a more measured response.

bjmulford
If you've done it well insure it for £2k, if its been codeged together and looks like a pig in a poke it's £1k.

It's super difficult to tell without a photo or two.

Don't be put off by the replies, but like any forum, sometimes the same questions get asked over and over again and as mentioned some people will take the time to reply, some won't and Baz will always call a spade a spade which is why we like him! :huh:

We're a good bunch on here and over the last 18 months I have found the forum to be a fantastic resource, either with whats on here already or the superb knowledge base thats out there.

Perhaps if you'd posted a picture and said "I'm going to insure this for £5k, what do you lot think?, is it too much?" you might have got a more measured response.

Right, hopefully this will work:

http://s1099.photobucket.com/albums/g396/b...sfeb2011014.jpg

Thanks for the replies guys and girls.! Whilst i realise that kit cars and replicas arent to everybodys taste, and some people think theyre a waste of time, thats fine i can accept that. But I was a bit miffed that ive spent a year of my life (spare time) to make a replica of something that i will never in a million years be able to afford. I have given every aspect of this rebuild the utmost attention to detail. As you can tell its not finished!

The engine does need to come out again so i may swap it for an mi16 on carbs or do a megasquirt/turbo setup if i have time and can find the money.

The original idea was always to do a 4wd. I looked into a lot of options such as transplanting subaru/toyota celica 4wd drivetrains, but came to the conclusion that the only ones that would fit easily would be the xr4x4 setup from a sierra or the beloved mi16 4x4 drivetrain.

I seriously considered these, but then having a baby and general time and budget issues meant i couldnt do what i wanted, so went for the easy option and just transplanted a 1.9 which came out of the donor.

Basically i dont want to get ripped off by the insurers' regarding its value when i come to insure it, so was canvassing opinion. I thought the one on e bay for 5k was overpriced, i was thinking mine would be worth somewhere between 2-3 grand depending on spec. Especially with 200bhp???

cheers, Barry

welshpug

ahhh its a "T16" kit, can't remember who made it but its just another fibreglass bodykit much like a Dimma, slightly rarer if its an original, but there's lot of poor copies about now.

They were never intended to be a direct replica of the 205 Turbo 16, merely a lookalikey.

It wont be worth any more than a comparative condition Dimma I would imagine, and as always, its only worth what someone will pay for it at the end of the day.

Atari Boy

Welcome Barry, project looks interesting, please keep us posted on progress.

Sorry, I can't help re values however.

allye

Looks like you'v done a very good job indeed, with a 200hp MI on carbs in it I think it would be worth 2-3k of any ones money.

Batfink

In good condition and complete maybe insure it for £2-2.5k. The horrible reality will be its worth more to you than an insurer will pay up.

Daviewonder

Welcome along Mate. I've no idea what it's worth but it looks like an interesting project. Any chance of a project thread?

hcmini1989

I think you need to calm down .It was`nt the usual whats it worth thread .And if it had a t16 body ,engine ,or running gear it would BE a t16 .So is a replica gun still a replica because it doesnt shoot bullets?.

The car looks spot on mate tbh looks like youve done a cracking job mate on fitting the kit.I wouldnt worry to much about the arsey comments its simply because your not in the click and doing what every one else is doing I.E throttle bodies ,Emerald or similar managment.etc etc.You`ve done something abit diffrent may bot be original but its still difrent from what there doing.

As for value of the pug do some market research plenty of dimma kitted 205s about i would value it similar to them

omega

hi welcome

it looks a nice car but when i hear t16 replica i think rear engine 4 wheel drive,to me yours isnt a t16 replica others might disagree.but post more pics showing work as it looks a good project, and what wheels are you going to use?

you will find a lot of good advice if you stick with the forum.

yippeekayay

theres a similar car been on piston heads ebay, and a few other places for months at 6k, similar looking kit, but dont think he has had much interest in it.

As for value, its your car, what you want, your input, whats that worth to you and whats sensibly affordable to insure it for. I would value it personally at about 3k but if you wanted to sell it its back to most other peoples thoughts...if they are looking specifically for your car or similar, dimma maxi kit, looky likey t16 then its 3k + but to shift sensibly 2k ish. throw an mi16 or similar and it will go up. looks shiny, not my thing but would look twice, and not in horror. good luck finishing it.

SurGie

Welcome to the forum.

You have done a great job with your 205, it looks mint so i think it should be valued as mint.

My Graphite PH2 K reg 205 1.9 gti with a Mi16 engine and Dellorto carbs, which was classic insured with an agreed valuation of 3.5k and its not mint but very good condition. I just sent a few good pics through to them and they agreed with that valuation. I was with Need2Insure BTW (by the way).

So with this in mind i think you could easily get an agreed valuation of 5k no problem.

PS, Try to take people's comments with a pinch of salt, you know how you want your car to be like and know what you like and thats whats most important, good work.