• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bjmulford

What Is A Replica T16 Worth?

Baz
I dont get why people say around 2-3k mark when i got my car that was in a lot worse condition compared to the OP car. I got an agreed valuation of 3.5k with only a few photo's with no visit from them. So i think you would easily get a 5k agreed valuation with the insurers. As for selling off well you would get far more if you had a good 16v engine in the shell.

+1, Agreed. ;)

Seriously, with the way prices are going and others that have been on the market you've got a good point there, from the picture we've seen it looks to be done to a good standard and should look pretty good once done as i've said, irrelevant of whether it's your cup of tea or not yes, it should be worth more than a good standard GTi, even if not a 'Dimma' etc i guess.

McDude

To the Original Poster - I hope this thread hasn't put you off this forum, because it would certainly put me off.

I looked at your pictures and it looks like a very sweet project with a lot of hard work gone into it. I'd certainly like to see more pics of the build.

As for "is it a T16?" well no it's not and you never tried to pass it off as one. It's exactly what you said, a replica. Replicas don't have to be a complete nut and bolt copy.

As for what it is worth - that IS always a sticky topic. I'd have thought that £5k for the insurance is fair enough; if you were trying to sell it that's another thing and then you are into the whole "it's worth what someone will pay for it"

Welcome to the forum, we aren't all miserable c-units. Do get some more pics up!

Bogsye

To the OP - welcome.

Finally managed to get decent access to see your photo . That does look nice! Good work!

Previously for agreed valuations I've saved all my receipts and photographed my project to death. Typically the insurance took the photos and receipts and stamped and dated them.

The more evidence of costs and work, the merrier.

Might be worth saving any adverts for 'similar' as and when you see them.

Best of luck with the rest of your project!

Brian

Anthony

Firstly, to the OP - welcome to the forum ;)

Secondly, some people who've replied to this thread need to take a moment to think about what they're typing and how that reply will be read by other members. Everyone has different opinions and everyone has different tastes, which is just as well as life would be mighty boring otherwise - just because you don't like something or don't agree with how it has been done doesn't give you right to slate it.

Think of it as thus: Opinions are like a**eholes - everyone has one, but it doesn't mean that the rest of us want to see or hear it.

axnutty

I had started to post, but got engaged with Top Gear.

Really it echoed Anthony's comment. A number of people on this forum (not just Baz) seem to take to the keyboard warrior viewpoint that its their little forum and everyone must conform. Which is essentially why this forum isnt the friendliest place in the world and carries a reputation with it which is well known. Shame. If you have an opnion and you feel its relevant, then make it by all means, but you dont have to be aggresive or detrimental. We are all cars lovers on here and variety is the spice of life.

Baz in this instance grow up.

bjmulford
Firstly, to the OP - welcome to the forum B)

Secondly, some people who've replied to this thread need to take a moment to think about what they're typing and how that reply will be read by other members. Everyone has different opinions and everyone has different tastes, which is just as well as life would be mighty boring otherwise - just because you don't like something or don't agree with how it has been done doesn't give you right to slate it.

Think of it as thus: Opinions are like a**eholes - everyone has one, but it doesn't mean that the rest of us want to see or hear it.

Hi Guys thanks for all your opinions, the encouragement is great the slagging is obviously not so great but i think me and Baz are alright now! I have broad shoulders and dont get offended that easily/everyones entitled to an opinion - ! I think its time to put this thread to bed so i will just re-itterate what i said to Baz. Baisically i always wanted this project to be a bit special. phase 1 of the project was to get the bodywork done and 200 bhp up front, so an mi16 on carbs is on the cards. I then have a load of other projects to do so will drop it for a while (2 yrs) get it valued and insured. At a later date i want to slot an audi v6 in the back with transaxle box. with a couple of turbos and emerald type ecu 300bhp could be gained without stressing that engine. Handling can be taken care of by balancing the tune/detune of the engines, and syncronising gearchanges via ratios. i reckon a 60/40 power split is ideal. It would be crap on the loose but on tarmac in a straight line it will be 500bhp in a stripped 205 and 4wd!

Re the costs i am self employed and took home 7k after tax last year! after paying the mortgage and having a family theres not a lot of cash spare so it has been a project on a small budget.

the bodykitted car was £130 from ebay in a shocking state. donor car £350 without mot, paint £200 expendables £100 and fancy bits £200, £50 for vinyl, so all in all its been done for what an alright 205 gti cost + A lot of labour!!!

thanks for all your support, may be see you at pugfest with only half a finished project!!

Rom

Hi, welcome.

it doesnt really matter what you tell the insurance its worth. They wont pay you it. Unless its on an agreed value policy. In which case they have to see pics, details, receipts etc and agree what its worth.

I had a very tidy 1.9 with a rebuilt, lightend and balanced Mi. Engine out respray, stainless lines, big brakes, powder coated 309 beam, coilovers, SL 434s, etc etc. I struggled to get Adrian Flux to agree 5k, yet it stood me more than that in parts and the respray, which i had reciepts for. Not to mention the endless hours of labour.

Good luck with the project.

Edited by Rom

SurGie

Did you send copies of all your receipts cause i think that would have made a difference to getting an agreed value. As said get loads and loads of good pictures and receipts im sure you could get around 5k agreed value but i think it does depend on the insurance company too.

GLPoomobile
i see what baz is saying,if some one spends say 5-10 grand building a replica,but could buy the real thing for 30 grand then why not save and get the real thing,as they are not that far of affording one,correct me if im wrong baz??

OK, and I see the point that Baz is making too.

But, firstly, what ever happened to taking enjoyment out of building something yourself? Sure, save 3 times more money (and save 3 times longer probably :( ) so you can have the real thing, but so what? What's going to be more fun? Building something yourself, but it's not the real deal, or waiting bloody ages while you save up to buy the real thing?

I didn't know that Turbo-16s could be found for as little as £30k (if that is indeed what Baz is saying), but again, it's a matter of perspective based upon one's own circumstances. £30k may be pigeon feed to many people, and I realise that a lot of people spend that on a brand new car every few years (or every year for some people), but that's not the same for everyone (obviously). I like to think I do alright in life, but I can't afford a £30k car now, and I probably won't for many years (if ever). However, if I could afford a £30k car, would I have any interest at all in buying something like a Turbo-16? No! Not at all! Because buying it is only the start of it. Maintenance is going to be a 'mare due to parts availability, and I'd be scared to use it anywhere. It'd be a very expensive white elephant. As I alluded to before, I think you really need to be quite wealthy indeed to be able to properly enjoy owning such a car without worrying about all the hassles, expenses and potential issues that come with it.

I think bjmulford's 205 looks very nice from the few pics, and it's a credit to him that he's done it on such a tight budget. All this controversy just because of the "replica T16" statement B) I understand why that would irritate you Baz, and perhaps it was one of those moments like when I get worked up about someone posting the billionth "my carpet is damp, where is it leaking from" topic (note to bjmulford - NEVER post a topic asking where your interior leak is coming from. I WILL hunt you down, and it WILL be a slow death :D ), but in terms of understanding why someone would do this instead of saving up for the real thing, perhaps you should take some of your own advice and broaden your view ;) With the greatest of respect old chap :P

happygoron

There's a massive amout of difference between being able to afford to buy a tidy new car ever few years which youll probably use every day and buying a similarly priced toy. 30k would be a cheap t16 too, more like 50k from what i've seen, thoygh highly dependant on the euro as most are abroad.

C_W

I think we can draw a few things from this thread;

1. There is an internet warrior amongst us fighting for the freedoms of those who bow down to the normal etiquette of how to speak to people normally...or something

2. T16s are easy to come by and at 30k merely chicken feed for the average person

3. 205 projects/DIY rebuilds/stripped out cars are only concerned cool if you did it yourself

Does anyone remember Singh's Turbancharged T16 replica - I think most of us loved that car.

TT205
Does anyone remember Singh's Turbancharged T16 replica - I think most of us loved that car.

Where's the link Chris? <_<

welshpug

That name rings a bell, I believe he's moved on to Aircooled beetles, returning from a Belgian rally in the late hours of a sunda/early hours of a Monday last summer we happened upon a race spec bug on a trailer at the euro tunnel carpark with the name "Nurburgsingh" on the windows :lol:

Alan_M

I've a picture of it somewhere at the first FCS!

24seven

I'm still confused as to how £5k (or even £10k for that matter) already spent is thought of as "most of the way towards" a £30k car.

As for the build, it looks good so far! Am I right in thinking you're going to match a 200bhp Mi16 up front to a 300bhp VAG V6 in the rear? Curious to see how the drivetrain/gear linkages will work. Is it intended as a drag only machine?

happygoron
That name rings a bell, I believe he's moved on to Aircooled beetles, returning from a Belgian rally in the late hours of a sunda/early hours of a Monday last summer we happened upon a race spec bug on a trailer at the euro tunnel carpark with the name "Nurburgsingh" on the windows :lol:

I recognise the name "Nurburgsingh" from pistonheads if anyone wants to follow that up.

mainline

Wow what a fun and interesting first thread!

I agree totally with Surgie, when you've got it finished, give Need2Insure a call. They are very good at convincing the insurance company how much a decent 205 is worth. I took lots of nice pics of mine, wrote out a little description and they valued it at £2200. Its a bog standard 1.6 in decent nick with no modifications which I paid £1100 for. Once you have that valuation in writing, its then no hassle when it comes to renewal time.

Working on the basis that your project is to all intents and purposes going to be a very well finished 1.9 GTI with period modifications, and maybe an engine swap then top end I reckon they would assess at about £4.5k. There are mint low mileage cars going for £6k quite regularly now (check 4 Star Classics they are a good starting point if you are putting a dossier together to demonstrate what the best cars out there are worth). Yours is going to be worth less than a concours example because of supply and demand factors. Everyone on here would love a mint low mileage GTI. Some would drive the nuts of it, some would never drive it, some would modify it, but everyone would definitely love one.

Where your project gets complicated in terms of value is that it is a 'homage' to the T16 Rally car. Demand for this kind of thing is a lot lower than for a concours vehicle (as you may have got an inkling from the reactions on here), so knock a bit off for that and you should get an agreed value of £4k or so.

Might help to keep track of any similar Dimmas going through e-bay / PH and printing out the value. :)

Baz

I'm still confused as to how £5k (or even £10k for that matter) already spent is thought of as "most of the way towards" a £30k car.

Haven't kicked your habit of reading things how you like them to appear rather than how they're actually written then.