• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jake_GTI

Gearbox Oil

pug_ham
to drain my box, the drain plug is on the diff housing so would involve draining the diff aswell

The late Be1 & all Be3's drain through the diff housing, it uses the same oil as the rest of the gearbox & 2 litres is the correect amount for them both.

The picture I posted is a snapshot from the original haynes workshop / overhaul manual which isn't in the later style service & repair haynes.

Sarty's E reg Phase 1 had a box like this on it, was fine with 75W80 in there :)

Never said it wouldn't be fine just pre 88 Be1's are listed in Haynes as using engine oil. My 88 E reg got the proper Pug gearoil when I changed it but mine is a phase 1.5.

Graham.

woodsy

I had a similiar thing when i had a mates 1987 205gti in other month. It didnt have the usual filler on the end casing so ended up filling up through the speedo drive instead.

Baz

Early Be1'sjust didn't have a level/fill plug, i've had a couple, just top them up through the reverse lockout hole. 1.8 - 2litres will be fine from empty.

As Miles says, irrelevant of what Haynes or anything else says though, don't use engine oil, it'll eat the synchros!

Jake_GTI

Early Be1'sjust didn't have a level/fill plug, i've had a couple, just top them up through the reverse lockout hole. 1.8 - 2litres will be fine from empty.

As Miles says, irrelevant of what Haynes or anything else says though, don't use engine oil, it'll eat the synchros!

yeah i drained it yesterday and topped it up with just 2 liters, ep75w/80 gearbox oil, took it for a small test drive and it all feels good so far :)

Sign in to follow this