• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jake_GTI

Gearbox Oil

Jake_GTI

After finally getting the engine back in my pug, filled up the gearbox with the 75w80 as advised on here, haynes says 2ltr, filled it up with 2 lye and it still doesn't look full, do I have to add extra to compensate for the filling of the diff housing or is it just 2ltr and that's it?

Cheers

Jake

Ryan

You only have to fill it until it's level with the filler plug in the side. Normally it only take about 1.8 litres of so unless the box was bone dry.

smithy

Just fill up until it starts running out of filler plug when on level ground.

Jake_GTI

Just fill up until it starts running out of filler plug when on level ground.

Been filling up my box from dry and so far its taken 4 litres and it's still not full! Any ideas how much more it should take??

Tom Fenton

That is definitely not right buddy. The level plug is on the side of the gearbox, access from under the wheelarch.

large

Been filling up my box from dry and so far its taken 4 litres and it's still not full! Any ideas how much more it should take??

Are you using the filler (19mm) plug on the end of the box? You should not be fitting it to the top of the box!

Jake_GTI

It is a be1 box and the only filler plug is on the front of the box not on top! No plugs on the side under the wheel arch! The diff was also drained so filling up for both??

Tom Fenton

There is a level plug on all of the BE gearboxes. It is on the side of the pressed steel cover on the end of the box under the wheelarch, it is a large hexagon head plug, towards the rear of the car. Go and look again, but be prepared to catch at least 2 L of gearbox oil when you remove it. Something like a 22mm head roughly from memory.

Jake_GTI

The only 22mm plug is on the from of the box, next to the clutch release arm! I have searched and there is 100% no other plug apart from

A drain plug!

Jake_GTI

*21mm

large

Yer its in the ring of bolts holding the tin end cover on. The head on my be3 box is 19mm but ether way it is bigger than the other bolts holding the end cover on.

Jake_GTI

There is nothing in that lot, all 10/13 mm bolts all the way round? Not that I doubt you cos as far as I'm aware it is there on be3 boxes, but I'm not sure about be1 boxes, like I say I can only find the one plug!

Ryan
post-5273-0-35827000-1299168676_thumb.jpg

Jake_GTI

That isn't present on my box!!

jackherer

I have a feeling it is different as it is an '86. Servicebox shows a different BE1 box up to 10/1986 but the diagram doesn't show that area clearly. It does look to have a different drain plug though, shame it doesn't show where it goes. I think the haynes may mention this, I haven't got a copy here but its definitely worth a look.

Jake_GTI

I would upload a pic but I'm using my iPhone and can't :(

pug_ham

If you've put 4 litres in then drain it out again & just put the correct amount of 2l back in although iirc on the very early Be1 gearboxes they used engine oil anyway. :unsure:

fluids.th.jpg

Graham.

Jake_GTI

If you've put 4 litres in then drain it out again & just put the correct amount of 2l back in although iirc on the very early Be1 gearboxes they used engine oil anyway. :unsure:

fluids.th.jpg

Graham.

to drain my box, the drain plug is on the diff housing so would involve draining the diff aswell, which means surely it would take more than 2 litres to lube the diff and box?? the only filler plug i can see is the one in this pic!

post-14737-0-46712400-1299173249_thumb.jpg

if the 205 is a drip fill box then it is ok but i dont want it to knacker the box, also my box defo doesnt use engine oil according to most people on here!

pugpete1108

something aint right mate, you only need 2 litres in a be box. there must be a filler hole on the side. might be covered in crud.?

although i never use it, i just empty it and fill up with 2litres and have no trouble

Edited by pugpete1108

Anthony

There's definitely something in the Haynes (although it might only be in the older Workshop manual) about the early BE1 boxes, which did specify different oil and had a different filling method from memory. I don't have a copy to hand however to tell you exactly what it says, and don't recall ever working on a car with an early 'box fitted so can't speak from experience - the majority of BE1's are as per BE3's though with the level plug in the side on a 19mm bolt.

Ryan

This is what's in the older Haynes:

post-5273-0-97554600-1299178007_thumb.jpg

If it is this type then a + b are both drain plugs, c is the filler/breather on the top.

It also apparently needs 10W40 or 15W40 engine oil rather than gear oil.

Jake_GTI

Ok, well I'll try finding the gearbox oil plug and drain it and fill it with 2ltr of oil but I'm Gunna stick with the recommended 75w80 oil as that's what most people on here say to use and my local motor factor said to use also! Unless anyone can give me a reason otherwise like my box will blow up etc ;-)

Cheers for your help all

welshpug

Sarty's E reg Phase 1 had a box like this on it, was fine with 75W80 in there :)

Miles

Never use engine oil

SurGie

Say that to my 1.4 XY8 engine, thats what the gearbox uses and its fine with doing 110 k miles however the BE gearboxes is another thing. The gearbox needs no gearbox oil its an all in one sytem.

Edited by SurGie

Sign in to follow this