• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jake_GTI

[engine_work] '86 Gti Engine Swap And Mechanical Restoration (kind

Jake_GTI

Unfortunately my 205 died recently due to HGF, soon after though it was offered a new lease of life thanks to shalmaneser on here, came over to his standard for my auto bonnet and ended up getting his engine due to him working on a gti6 conversion!

so my little project has started! the idea is to do a like for like swap, my dead 1.6 (105hp edition i believe?) for the donor engine which had a couple of k less miles and various other bits,

eg: new alternator, gti6 starter, new belts, water pump etc. and no hgf!

i am no mechanic but with a little help from some friends i am planning to while the engine is out replace all the hoses with silicone hoses supplied by shalmaneser and some from bakerbm.

fit a new steering rack and track rod ends as i have play in the wheels which came up on the last mot, new gear linkages, anti roll bar links and a whole replacement exhaust system as i got a coke can ss system on at the mo and its noisy as hell!

so by the end of the project the car will be mechanically sound and handle and drive superbly once again!

so far i already have:

the donor engine + all ancillaries

crack proof manifold,

exhaust downpipe, center section + brand new rear silencer,

anti roll bar links,

track rod ends,

used (but in better condition than my current ones) driveshafts,

silicon hose kit,

uprated gear selector rods.

on order i have:

new k&n panel filter,

steel water pipe for after lower rad pipe,

steeering rack,

bronze bush kit for the L gear linkage.

any help along the way or anything you think i should also be replacing while i'm at it would be greatly appreciated!

cheers guys

omega

worth doing cambelt and water pump as well as you dont know the history.

Jake_GTI

my car as it stood about a month ago http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2906...mp;l=a90af2ec8e

then the work started!

the donor engine's mileage

post-14737-1296586795.jpg

all strapped up and loaded into the van

post-14737-1296586810_thumb.jpg

donor car minus an engine, before we squeezed the vts in (see project thread here http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...;#entry1147325)

post-14737-1296586824_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jake_GTI

Jake_GTI

currently me and my good friend lawrence have got as far as taking the front end of the car apart to make life a bit easier on taking the engine apart and for ease of removing/refitting the engine!

all hoses and cables have been unplugged

post-14737-1296588127.jpg

all cables labelled and tied out of the way and the inlet manifold including fuel rail and injectors has been taken off,

post-14737-1296588252.jpg

the engine is very close to being ready to lift out now which is good because then i can start replacing things inside such as the steering rack and TRE's, anti roll links and the bushing for the L link

also here's my new(ish) exhaust and rear silencer :)

post-14737-1296588414.jpg

post-14737-1296588443.jpg

thats it for today

Edited by Jake_GTI

Jake_GTI
worth doing cambelt and water pump as well as you dont know the history.

shalmaneser assures me he has done the belts and water pump very recently and is currently (when he has time) trying to find the parts receipts and will post them as his car is off the road until i get him the linkage off of the gearbox he gave me!

omega
shalmaneser assures me he has done the belts and water pump very recently and is currently (when he has time) trying to find the parts receipts and will post them as his car is off the road until i get him the linkage off of the gearbox he gave me!

okay then il shut up :unsure::o

ps was recent 50 miles ago or 50000?

not saying your mate is a liar but sometimes you think you only did the job a couple of months ago and when you check it was 12months.

Jake_GTI

not 100% how long till i get the paperwork etc but within the last few months i believe! i know what you mean though, it's always worth checking these things!

Daviewonder

Nice to see you're getting stuck in Mate. There's no better feeling than starting the car for the first time after an engine swap, look forward to following this project :unsure:

shalmaneser

Good to see we've both got project threads up!

Here's a couple of before pics of the waterpump if you're interested...

before, horrible leaky thing...

cambeltpics005.jpg

and the dodgy looking impeller...

cambeltpics010.jpg

just putting them up for posterity really, will have a sort out and find the reciepts tomorrow....

Jake_GTI
will have a sort out and find the reciepts tomorrow....

should have that linkage off for you today and in the post, cheers dude :)

Jake_GTI

not much to report today, got the car up on axle stands and drained the engine and transmission oil! and my new steering rack arrived!

post-14737-1296663369.jpg

this was just before we lifted it!

post-14737-1296663383.jpg

excuse my nosey cat!

and i also forgot to note my engines mileage which is only 3247 more than the donor engine!

post-14737-1296663595_thumb.jpg

Jake_GTI

havent had a chance to do much to the car recently as i am still waiting on one last package to arrive and i have been flat out at work,

i did however find time to give the original airbox a bit of a refurb, the outside of it was pretty rusty so i have given it a damn good sand down and a couple of coats of hammerite to keep it in tip top condition! the inside of it was still pretty good so i havent painted it, and i have a new k&n panel filter to go in too which should be sweet! next issue is how do i mount it as i can see where one of the holes meets up to the top of the engine but where do the rest go? does it have a special mounting bracket? if so i dont think i have one! could someone post a pic of what the mountings look like so i can work it out and get it all fixed to the new engine?

cheers

post-14737-1297097716_thumb.jpg

post-14737-1297097731_thumb.jpg

shalmaneser

Jake;

From memory one of the mountings is on the exhaust manifold, the other on the can cover i think?

I should also mention that my engine ran considerably smoother with the K&N induction kit on it - try both ways by all means but bear it in mind!!!

Jake_GTI

can anyone tell me what this is for? random bracket i found :-/

post-14737-1297178343_thumb.jpg

stef205
can anyone tell me what this is for? random bracket i found :-/

post-14737-1297178343_thumb.jpg

AFM but could be wrong

Jake_GTI

been a while since i've managed to get on with the car, so yesterday i spent pretty much the whole day working on it, got a lot done! old engine is now out, and swapped the gearbox, and clutch to the new engine!

while it was out i got to work replacing the steering rack including new track rod ends, fitted the steel water pipe, new anti rollbar links, gear link rods and a new bronze bush kit for the L linkage on the gears!

then managed to get the new engine in, started to attach all the coolant hoses and get the car wired back up!

hoping it's not going to be long now till she's back on the road!

post-14737-1298564926.jpg

post-14737-1298564943.jpg

post-14737-1298564955.jpg

post-14737-1298564968.jpg

post-14737-1298565389.jpg

post-14737-1298565437.jpg

post-14737-1298565080.jpg

also i have this hose, it's the top right expansion tank pipe, i cant work out what it attaches to? the only thing i can see is the cylinder head but it's a long pipe for such a short distance! any ideas??

post-14737-1298565683.jpg

Edited by Jake_GTI

monkee87

That pipe looks like the top rad hose. Attachment is on the Top of the rad on the left as you look at it. :angry:

Jake_GTI
That pipe looks like the top rad hose. Attachment is on the Top of the rad on the left as you look at it. :angry:

not according to baker bm! i got the top rad hose which is longer, this one wont reach that far! which is why it confused me :-/

monkee87

Is it the one that goes to the bottom of the throttle body then??

shalmaneser
Is it the one that goes to the bottom of the throttle body then??

Yup, that's the one. You don't need it, just run the hose from the thermostat straight to the expansion bottle, bypassing the thermostat.

Jake_GTI
Yup, that's the one. You don't need it, just run the hose from the thermostat straight to the expansion bottle, bypassing the thermostat.

eh, i have that one aswell but it's not the one in the pic, on the baker bm site it say its the top right expansion pipe, fits the bottle but i cant find where to attach it to :-/

monkee87

I don't see why you'd do that? Second time today I've read about doing that!

If I'm reading correctly, if you're bypassing the thermostat, your heater won't work..

Plus, you'll have a really long hose for a short distance unless you cut it down, but then it'll have the wrong bends and shape as it's not designed to run where you're re routing it..

monkee87

Right, I've looked at a diagram of the cooling system...

Left expansion goes to top of rad and right expansion goes to thermostat.

No mention of pipes actually going to the throttle body.. Weird! ;)

Jake_GTI

According to this link the pipe I have in the pic is the top right expansion to throttlebody pipe, and then i also have the smaller thermostat to throttlebody pipe which is much smaller! Have a look and see if you can work it out cos I'm still a bit confused!

http://img93.imageshack.us/i/39qz.png/

monkee87

Basically, putting coolant through the throttle body is to warm it on really really really cold days. So basically, you can put them there if you'd like to. Doesn't seem to make much difference in this country..

Personally I'd do it as it's how it should be, plus the pipes are designed for that purpose.

So it would go, expansion bottle to throttle body with the long pipe, then throttle body to thermostat with the shorter pipe. Iirc, there should be 3 attachments on the bottom of the body. Use the 2 bigger ones. The smallest one goes to the pipe attachment on the dizzy. ;)