• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jake_GTI

[engine_work] '86 Gti Engine Swap And Mechanical Restoration (kind

Jake_GTI
Basically, putting coolant through the throttle body is to warm it on really really really cold days. So basically, you can put them there if you'd like to. Doesn't seem to make much difference in this country..

Personally I'd do it as it's how it should be, plus the pipes are designed for that purpose.

So it would go, expansion bottle to throttle body with the long pipe, then throttle body to thermostat with the shorter pipe. Iirc, there should be 3 attachments on the bottom of the body. Use the 2 bigger ones. The smallest one goes to the pipe attachment on the dizzy. :D

so i dont need to run a pipe between the throttlebody and the dizzy at all?? which way round should the pipes go on the body? or is it obvious?! cant go and check till monday now probs!

monkee87

Deffo need the pipe from the dizzy to the throttle body. Learnt that from school boy errors!

Doesn't matter which way round they are, I'd do it so the closest point to the battery is the one that goes to the expansion bottle.

Deffo need the pipe from the dizzy to the throttle body. Learnt that from school boy errors!

Doesn't matter which way round they are, I'd do it so the closest point to the battery is the one that goes to the expansion bottle.

wah
AFM but could be wrong

Deffo AFM bracket

Jake_GTI

right i think i've finally got this worked out!! the 2 hoses go on the 2 large pipes on the bottom of the throttlebody, the vacuum advance is in the middle of these 2 pipes! sorted!

so what is the pipe my thumb is on in this pic?? is it important? this is what has been confusing me the whole time! the top one my finger is on is an oil breather pipe correct?

it's been so long since i last saw my engine together i forgot what it's supposed to look like :-/

post-14737-1298742474_thumb.jpg

monkee87

I can't remember! I think it must be oil breather. The one on the top goes to the oil filler.. Sorry! I'll have a look at mine if I can! :lol:

Jake_GTI

I can't remember! I think it must be oil breather. The one on the top goes to the oil filler.. Sorry! I'll have a look at mine if I can! :lol:

any luck?? i had a look at an old throttlebody i have also and it doesn't have that pipe!?

monkee87

On my car it's not connected to anything, so it seems like it's pretty unimportant. :)

Just noticed my car has had the throttle body bypassed too. :lol:

Jake_GTI

Lol nice! Well I'll be running the hoses via the body and leavin that pipe unattached then!! Hoping to get the pug fired up tomorrow for the first time since early December :) keeping my fingers crossed cos it'll be a good day if I do!! Got my eye on a new project too, mi16 205 that needs a rebuild, good start for my track day dreams :-D

Jake_GTI

managed to get the engine back together today, inlet mani etc and all wired up and hoses on (apart from the airbox due to the bolts for the bracket being sheared in the mani) fired it up and it started first time idles nicely etc etc! just gotta get those damn bolts out, got a set of easy outs and a cobalt drill bit so hopefully they wont be too much hassle! turns out i got a blow in the weld where the downpipe meets the center section so that's gotta be fixed too, and I've gotta re-drain my gearbox (some may have seen my other thread on here about that :-/) but once the airbox is on i can drive it again :) cant actually wait, then just a few bits need tweaking and it'll be a minter again! seems the really early ones are hard to find these days in good nic so I'll be well chuffed!! will get photos up tomorrow of the finished engine bay an hopefully a vid of it running. would like to thank everyone on here who has helped me as i don't think i could've done it without you guys!!!

Jake_GTI

all done! just needs a final check over but i did take it for a very small test drive and it goes well, havent really revved it or anything as i wanna let it run in first etc! next up i gotta get the rear end fixed up where someone reversed into it a while back but thats all paid for so all i gotta do is run it to the repair garage, then it's getting new tyres all round and the wheels will be powder coated! cant wait till it's all sorted and she's mint again :)

here is a pic of the engine bay all back together

post-14737-0-72872800-1299256591_thumb.jpg

Jake_GTI

shalmaneser

nice work!!!

Been for a drive yet? Do you reckon you can feel the extra power over the 105bhp engine???

Good to see the old girl running again!

monkee87

If I were you, I'd reroute the 2 pipes off the expansion bottle. The one that's sitting on the battery won't last long where it is. :o

Take the AFM off and put them both underneath it, that's where the should go. The engine side of the AFM bracket. :)

Also, I've got an inlet manifold that doesn't have the mount for the phase 2 coil if you'd like it?

Jake_GTI

Took it for a drive to work today,started fine etc, when idleing it seems to run nicely but goes up and down by about 200 rpm steadily so summits not right there! And under acceleration it's a bit jumpy, kinda stutters, was tres careful after it happened cos I don't want to break anything! Any ideas what these could be??

Daviewonder

Maybe an Air leak? Check all your air intake hoses are fitted properly.

monkee87

Had the same problem on my friends GTi today. Sounds like an air problem. I swapped the AFM for him and it seems to of solved it.

Like said though, I'd check all the air pipes and also the vacuum advance pipe that runs from the dizzy to the throttle body.

Another thing could be the TPS is faulty. Have you had the air/fuel set up? I always ask my local MOT place if I can hook up to the emissions tester to set up my car. :lol:

shalmaneser

A 200 rev variation while idling is pretty normal for that engine, maybe you should look into re-tracking the AFM?

Did you clean the SAD valve while it was out too, i was always meaning to do that but never got around to it!

The stuttering sounds like it could be a misfire, check the leads are all properly connected!

Jake_GTI

idle problem started to get worse, ranging from about 200rpm to 1000rpm, so i swapped the afm over for my old one, seems to have stopped the problem and also seems to have stopped the lurching under acceleration!

the bolts for the air box bracket have been previously sheared off in their holes and they will not drill out so i gotta find another solution for that which is a pain!

got a new center section and down pipe coming tomorrow as mine is blown also so looks like I've still got a way to go but i'm getting there slowly :)

monkee87

If you're getting a new exhaust, why not take your manifold off at the same time and take it to a metal place to get the sheared bolts taken out?? That'll solve all your probs! Is it a later style one with the braces?

I've got one, bolts are still in it, but I could probably get them out if you'd be interested? :)

Jake_GTI

Not sure about braces?? Is reasonably new ish, the exhaust I can change myself in a small amount of time whereas with removing the mani I need to take the car off the road again and can't afford to do that :( may aswell get mine sorted rather than buy another tbh! Another job on the list! Unless you know anywhere in Sussex that'll do it quick for a good price??

monkee87

The mani is really easy to take off. Personnaly if you do, I'd swap the studs, nuts and gaskets.

Well, there is a place where I live that I think would be able to do it. Probs be there like over night.

Best place I know of is it Cornwall! :lol:

The braces are between the outer and middle holes. Was to stop them cracking!

shalmaneser

You can take the mani off with the engine in, but I wouldn't bother, its a bit of an arse to do.

It is the later version with braces and so doesn't crack.

Have you tried drilling the bolts out? which ones are they? Sorry i didn't mention it, yi didn't notice anything as i wasn't using the original induction system!

Jake_GTI

Ah dw about it, I'll get it sorted eventually! Have made do for now!! Have tried to drill them out with a cobalt drill bit but it's really struggling lol! Got the new exhaust on today so it sounds a bit better now :)

monkee87

Ah, good times. :)

My GTi has started developing some uber annoying problems.. Water leak, dodgy indicators.. Good ol' French cars! :lol:

Jake_GTI

Got some stainless steel zipties on the way to strap all that lot down this week!! Also got some new calipers ( I say new but they not, they just work unlike mine ) courtesy of Anthony coming this week also! What am I Gunna need to fit these? What grade brake fluid should I be using? I have a bleed kit which I made for my mtb, will it work the same for a car? Used a lucozade bottle and a lot of rubber hose lol :) my o/s/f caliper has seized so is a must to relax this! Also can anyone reccomend some pads for me? I was thinking the black diamond predator ones as they supposedly quite good and lo dust compound too! Saw some drilled and grooved discs for a 1.6 on here also, worth it for a standard car or not??