• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
shalmaneser

[engine_work] My Engine Swap Thread

SurGie

Update now that the weather is a bit nicer!!!

After have discovered that the crown wheels need to be swapped on the differentials (see here...http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=127792&st=0&p=1153146entry1153146)

I needed to remove the 205 differential i had installed in the VTS gearbox.

To clarify: You need the 205 differential, with the VTS crown wheel. The VTS crown wheel is noticeably bigger than the 205 one, I should have noticed at the time, really. This allows you to use 205 driveshafts, which engage properly with the 205 diff, while maintaining proper contact with the VTS drive gear.

This is the Xsara diff

engineswap4311001.jpg

notice the numbers - 65 teeth to engage with the VTS gearbox

engineswap4311002.jpg

you need to use the crown wheel and place on the 205 diff...

Here.

engineswap4311004.jpg

different numbers indicating different tooth pitch and number of teeth

engineswap4311005.jpg

removing crown wheel

engineswap4311008.jpg

This needs to be bolted onto the 205 diff.

bolts come out nice and easily with a big ol' breaker bar. need to be torqued up to 65nm according to peugeot.

very happy with this ATM.

Hi,

I have one thing im not sure off.

The VTS drive come away from the diff on the large side of it, the 205 one comes from the small side of the diff. So with this in mind wont the teeth be the wrong way round or something :unsure::unsure::wacko:

Look here V

th_DShaftsHubsExBracG-BoxDiffWorkMountBolts031.jpg

Both side of the diff are different, so how can it be fitted the other way ?

How have people fitted the VTS drive onto the 205 diff with this in mind ?

Cheers

allye

I'v done it fine, in my thread I mention how they bolted onto different sides just made sure the hybrid diff was the same way round as it's suppose to be! Not to hard. I put new bearings on mine for piece of mind.

Also I can tell you it works as I drove the rallye for the first last week :) albeit about 500m with the tracking and linkages adjusted a mile out and the battery box not bolted in, oh and no cooling fans or any real brakes haha

Edited by allye

SurGie

So to clarify, i just bolt up the VTS drive cog onto the same side as the 205 drive cog ?

Im worried that the cogs teeth will be facing the wrong way, as they are slanted like this \ but would be like/ when fitted to the 205 diff.

Or am i missing something ?

welshpug

yup :lol:

dont flip it over...

SurGie

Iv been over-thinking it again :rolleyes:

Iv looked over them properly and found the cogs stay the same direction both sides. I have fitted the crown wheel the correct side with the numbers visible. I've fitted the VTS 16/59 crown wheel here > th_BeforethenFinishedDIFFprepaintspeedohous021.jpg

Iv noticed that the middle bit of the larger side of the diff is smaller on the 205 one compared to the VTS. The 205 crown wheel teeth circle is thicker, which makes the VTS crown wheel look even bigger.

How and where did you find the torque setting of 65Nm for the crown wheel Shalmaneser ? Iv looked inside both the GTI6 and 205 Haynes manual. Not looked through the Workshop one yet.

Sorry for the hijack.

Edited by SurGie

SurGie

The first two pictures of the Xsara diff are wrong, they are the 205 diff and these are the pics i used and made a mistake.