• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
shalmaneser

[engine_work] My Engine Swap Thread

shalmaneser

No pics but managed to get the fuelling sorted today - to confirm it's 10mm at the high pressure side of the gti6 fuel rail, and 8mm on the low pressure side.

This means that you need a step down adaptor to use the 205 fuel filter, as that is 8mm all the way through.

Got the bits from Demon Tweeks who seem quite expensive for a few bits of hose but delivered nice and quickly.

I've got the power steering sorted, used some more high pressure fuel hose as the 10mm return hose from the Xsara header tank I'm using strapped to the inner wing where the jack normally goes. I've not been able to rotate the output for the PS pump, but have managed to get an alright route for the hose basically by spiraling it down to the outlet on the reservoir. So now, finally I've got...

Fuel connected up

PS connected up

Gearbox linkages connected up

clutch cable connected up

engine on Group N mounts throughout (including fork bush; this fvckers not going anywhere!)

I've also modded the rev counter

modded the slam panel with my angle grinder - first time i've used it in anger, bloody terrifying!!!

Still to do...

Exhaust (manifold bent and attached, downpipe ready to bolt on; will be done last!)

Cooling (got BBM bits; easy peasy)

Brakes (still need to remove some material from the cam cover)

Speedo cable (managed to buy a 405 one by mistake!!!! Pug want £40.36 for a genuine one; managed to find a 'genuine' one on Ebay for £39.99. :angry: )

Electronics (not too concerned by this - pretty handy with the ol' soldering iron...)

Then, fingers crossed, she'll be good to go!

omega

well done keep at it.

Daviewonder

Think it's for the carbon purge valve. Can I just short it out or leave it dangling around? don't want any ECU errors really!

You need to leave the solenoid plugged in, you dont need to connect the pipes. If you remove the solenoid you will need to put a 1.2Kohm resistor in its place or the ecu will recognise a fault.

:)

shalmaneser

Had a super productive day today.

Basically good to go except for the bastard wiring.

Got the master cylinder nicely mounted, it's close to the cam cover but with my stiff mounts i think i should be OK.

New speedo cable has been fitted, and the dash put back together.

Exhaust back on

One odd thing about the cooling...using the standard 205 BBM 'rear engine block - metal pipe' hose hasn't worked, as the hole on the distro block is way too small...the same diameter as the water pipe as far as I can tell. Have emailed BBM to see what he says.

The engine really is a tight fit, the inlet manifold is about 3mm away from the rad, will see if I can get some more clearance there!

Finally...the wiring.

Was expecting this to be easy, and while I managed to get the engine to turn over today, I've hit a bit of a snag due to the alarm that was fitted to my car! All the wires are chopped and changed around, I don't know which is which. This may take some time!

Also, does anyone know the relevance of the relay (it looks like a relay..) bolted just above the 8V ecu? I suspect it's got something to do with the fuelling, but could stand being corrected! :lol:

Anthony

Also, does anyone know the relevance of the relay (it looks like a relay..) bolted just above the 8V ecu? I suspect it's got something to do with the fuelling, but could stand being corrected! :lol:

It's the tachymetric relay, which provides power to the fuel pump and injectors on the 8v Jetronic management.

It can be safely removed along with the ECU as the brown double-relay on the GTi-6 loom does it's job.

welshpug

405 cable fits iirc, its just longer which is no bad thing with that manifold in there :)

shalmaneser

It's the tachymetric relay, which provides power to the fuel pump and injectors on the 8v Jetronic management.

It can be safely removed along with the ECU as the brown double-relay on the GTi-6 loom does it's job.

Woop!

It's already mainly gone anyway...

Welshpug; re. the 405 cable - in definitely doesn't fit, it is longer, but the ball bit where it goes through the bulkhead is in completely the wrong position and it's crimped in place making it an utter arse to to fit, even if you made it fit it would be a bit of a bodge.

Standard 205 cable is bloody close to the manifold though

Will have to get some heat shielding.

I'm sure I used a 405 cable for this very reason?

Also, re the purge canister valve, mine's not plugged in (can't remember if I left the plug in place or just chopped the wiring out). Either way, if this creates an error code in the ecu, does this actually affect the ecu in any other way, ie. the way it operates/runs? Anybody know?

shalmaneser

Just to illustrate my above problem....

pics037.jpg

Water distribution block on back of engine....

pics038.jpg

roughly 34mm OD...

pics040.jpg

However, the ID of the hose seems to be about 36mm

pics043.jpg

Obviously this is a problem!!!

pics046.jpg

very surprised by this, anyone have any answers?!

Also, which hose goes to which?

pics049.jpg

pics051.jpg

Speedo cable very close to manifold indeed!!!

pics054.jpg

Still, other than that she's looking good!!!!

pics048.jpg

allye

I would simply cable tie the cable to something to keep it off the manifold? Couple of week and I'll bee tackling this!

Also with the hose can you not just put it on as normal and it will almost certainly seal? 2mm is very small difference IMO

Edited by allye

shalmaneser

I would simply cable tie the cable to something to keep it off the manifold? Couple of week and I'll bee tackling this!

Also with the hose can you not just put it on as normal and it will almost certainly seal? 2mm is very small difference IMO

the numbers say 2mm but in practice it's more like 4mm. It's definitely not going to fit...having said that i might give it a go but i'm sceptical, how many hoses of any description (oil,water,fuel) are loose fitting? By and large they're all arseholes to get on, even before you use the jubilee clips!

EDIT: yeah it'll be zip ties to the rescue wrt the speedo cable!

Edited by shalmaneser

Loose Hand Luke

Hi mate,

In this pic you have the speed sensors next to each other, the original looks like its got a toothed drive cog, but the new one hasn't. Was that a problem?

16car007.jpg

I'm doing a VTR conversion and need to plumb in a new dual VSS like you have so wanted to pick your brains as you've done it! Mine's going in the VTR MA box though.

welshpug

just swap the cog.

shalmaneser

As ever, WP has the answer.

just use the cog that comes with the car.

Loose Hand Luke

thanks guys!

I'll get myself the S16 VSS then.

welshpug

its not just the s16, TU engined 306's had them too.

SurGie

Have you lowered the rad to avoid the inlet manifold ?

I'm asking because i will soon be buying the BBM hose set and need to know if the big water pipe is long enough to get to the rad with it been lowered.

Just to check, have you used the BBM gti 6 hose set up or the 205 type as that bigger hose dont fit the water manifold as said ?

Cheers.

shalmaneser

I've not lowered the rad, it's about 3mm from the inlet plenum but i don't see it being a problem, I've stuck on a rubber bumper to stop it rubbing.

I'd already bought an 8V hose kit, so I phoned stew and he told me which hoses i needed for the VTS engine, no faffing around with water manifolds that way.

Masekwm

Hi,

I love this thread, it's a great guide.

What have you done about the brakes? Do you have the Inlet T pieced to include the the vacuum pump on the cams?

Keith

shalmaneser

Just used the standard GTI6 stuff throughout, so yes, it's T'd into the vac take off on the inlet and the pump as well.

Masekwm

Thanks, I accidentally binned my t-piece :rolleyes:

Have you now completed the wiring? I hacked apart the larger gromit under the expansion bottle but I'm not sure I've gone the right way. Which hole have you used?

allye

Are you aware your project thread link in your signature take you to your 'which hose goes where' thread!? :lol:

shalmaneser

^^^^^^^^^ ooops, fixed now!

shalmaneser

Woop!

It's already mainly gone anyway...

Welshpug; re. the 405 cable - in definitely doesn't fit, it is longer, but the ball bit where it goes through the bulkhead is in completely the wrong position and it's crimped in place making it an utter arse to to fit, even if you made it fit it would be a bit of a bodge.

Will have to get some heat shielding.

To clarify here - I'm wrong, you can slide the ball bit on the 405 speedo. the 205 one is way too short, the 405 is the way to go.

allye

I'v just bought a 405 cable after trying to fit a 205 one. It really wasn't happening!