• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
foreigner

Guys Get Ready For The Police State.

foreigner
Dude, wrap yourself in tin foil and sit in the corner rocking, they're out to get you.

it's only shows how little you know about the country you live in.

and anyway tin foil doesn't work, didn't the goverment spokesman said the other day he mentioned that they just prepared something else.

tagy

This change only seems to be problem for people who have a car taxed parked on the road but not insured, which cannot be many.

From my policy:

The Policyholder may, under the terms of Section 1 of the Policy, Liability to Others, also drive a private motor car not belonging to him/her, not registered to him/her and not hired to him/her under a hire purchase or leasing agreement in respect of which no Insurance is afforded to him/her under any other Insurance applying to such a car. Cover is for third party only and in any case there will be no cover unless a current and valid policy of insurance is in force for the private motor car being driven under this section of the policy

As above I have assumed this is normal, otherwise I would just register my Polo under my girlfriends name, and drive it 3rd party insured without a second policy.

foreigner
MOST typical policies with third party on other vehicles do stipulate that the other car must be otherwise insured, but not all. Many/most trade policies give you the ability to drive any other car regardless of its insurance state.

Also, this law sounds like it is reliant on the MID (motor insurance database) being accurate and upto date, which it frequently isn't and this is frequently acknowledged by the police themselves - believe me, I've had no end of problems from it over the years! Automated fining based on frequently flawed information, and no doubt as frustrating to challenge as your typical DVLA "computer says no" nonsense, seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

I will put money on the table and bet that this law will achieve two only things:

1) Fine normal generally law-abiding people who either forget to SORN or who are victims of insurance company errors

2) Increase the number of unregistered or cloned vehicles on the road

and police will be dealing with honest people beinig pursued because of computer errors, I can see so much police time wasted.

Anthony
This change only seems to be problem for people who have a car taxed parked on the road but not insured, which cannot be many.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that to leave a car parked on the road it is meant to be insured as well.

foreigner

From my policy:

As above I have assumed this is normal, otherwise I would just register my Polo under my girlfriends name, and drive it 3rd party insured without a second policy.

tagy , does it says anything about it needing to be moted taxed and insured?

Why is wrong to park vehicle on the road even if not insured after you paid the ROAD TAX. I paid the privilege for it to be on the road.

Now we are getting somewhere.

foreigner
Actually, I'm pretty sure that to leave a car parked on the road it is meant to be insured as well.

Have you got any means to find out if it is correct?

Anthony
Why is wrong to park vehicle on the road even if not insured after you paid the ROAD TAX. I paid the privilege for it to be on the road.

Reasoning for that is logical enough - say you parked your car on a hill and the handbrake failed, or your parked car was hit by another motorist and shunted into another vehicle or someones property. Both are far from unheard of.

foreigner

Where do I find exact legislation about keeping car on the road?

any websites?

foreigner
Reasoning for that is logical enough - say you parked your car on a hill and the handbrake failed, or your parked car was hit by another motorist and shunted into another vehicle or someones property. Both are far from unheard of.

I got your point.

In that case you are directly responsible for the damage and therefore don't do it if unable to bear results.

This case would be of people not thinking properly and not educated by the driving school, ( we do not use handbrake in the winter back home because it will freeze solid).

It shouldn't happened as you are suppose to park with your wheels turned towards the kerb and put gear in.

welshpug

You have to have insurance to Tax a vehicle, makes sense that a vehicle has to be insured to be on the road, whether driven or parked.

Alan_M

Car needs to be taxed for public road parking, and as you know, need insurance and MOT to get tax. Not sure how it works if you cancel insurance immediately afterwards though?

Just been through a load of s*it with DVLA regarding this, as one of my kind neighbours told them I had a untaxed car parked up. The frigging car was parked on private land, wankers :)

welshpug

you'd get fined for not having insurance.

foreigner
You have to have insurance to Tax a vehicle, makes sense that a vehicle has to be insured to be on the road, whether driven or parked.

ok,

real word - you buy car taxed and moted. You have done nothing illegal. But there is no insurance.

These are the little things which will make the difference.

welshpug

real world? ask the seller to keep the insurance in force till you have got home at least.

foreigner
you'd get fined for not having insurance.

why?

car is moted and texed and you are insured not the car ?

why?

you fullfiled legal requirents.

foreigner
real world? ask the seller to keep the insurance in force till you have got home at least.

it takes upto 28 days for insurance company to register your car in MID. Don't know how long it takes to remove it.

foreigner

now we are not getting anywhere ,

so does anyone else have a legal opinion about this ?

welshpug

UP TO, in reality its 24 hours.

jeremy

I must confess years ago I used to insure one of my GTIs for a few days to get the road tax, then use the policey on the other to drive round with third party cover. However both cars had valid MOT, and the car that then had no insurance in its own right was owned by my wife. During this time I was asked to produce docs to the police, and they had no problems with it. What happens if the vehicle has insurance for say something generic theft only (assuming you could buy such a policey).

As for the Sorn malarky what a waste of government funds and resourses having to send out all the sorn confirmation letters.... ..... oh silly me forgot they make bucket loads in fine innocent people of minding their own business.

Bigtimmy
real world - you buy car taxed and moted. You have done nothing illegal. But there is no insurance.

Or have an insurance policy in place for when you collect the car, it's really not rocket science, people do this all the time.

Why don't you PM Surgie, I'm sure he'll rant all night with you on some late night chat IM thing. :)

At least it won't take up valuable space on here. :P

foreigner
I must confess years ago I used to insure one of my GTIs for a few days to get the road tax, then use the policey on the other to drive round with third party cover. However both cars had valid MOT, and the car that then had no insurance in its own right was owned by my wife. During this time I was asked to produce docs to the police, and they had no problems with it. What happens if the vehicle has insurance for say something generic theft only (assuming you could buy such a policey).

As for the Sorn malarky what a waste of government funds and resourses having to send out all the sorn confirmation letters.... ..... oh silly me forgot they make bucket loads in fine innocent people of minding their own business.

exactly my point

foreigner
Or have an insurance policy in place for when you collect the car, it's really not rocket science, people do this all the time.

Why don't you PM Surgie, I'm sure he'll rant all night with you on some late night chat IM thing. :)

At least it won't take up valuable space on here. :P

People who knows me personally on here knows that I know quite a few bits about this subject so comment like that is really waste of valuable space ( lol ).

come one mate I have seen more trivial things being discussed on here.

Freedom of speech - oh hang on that will be past soon as well.

I anyone with clear mind read this topic then will realise few good facts in these lines.

Edited by foreigner

Bigtimmy
I anyone with clear mind read this topic then will realise few good facts in this lines.

Unfortunately spelling not being one of them :)

foreigner
Unfortunately spelling not being one of them :)

noticed that and fixed before I saw your line.

but you are right,

English is not my first language.

enough silly comments,

something proper now

something constructive

welshpug

Your enter button seems to be stuck?