• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GLPoomobile

Alfa 166 V6

Baz
The only thing I don't like is the electronic throttle, it does everything fine apart from heel and toe, if you press the throttle at the same time as the brake the computer assumes you have made a mistake and ignores the throttle.

+1, really annoying!!

GLPoomobile

Well the Volvo S80 T6 in Fife tempted me for about 5 minutes, but the MOT is up in Dec so that would scare me. I could have contacted the guy and negotiated putting it through an MOT, but his advert says he's leaving the country this month and needs it sold in a hurry (hence the cheap price) so I'm not interested in mucking him about and I'm not that interested in the car anyway. The S80 is just too dull looking for my liking. As a side note, I was overtaken at silly speeds (I was in the 205) a couple of months ago by what I assumed at the time to be a S70 T5, but now I wonder if it was one of these. Pulled past me like I had the handbrake on!

Oh, and RHULPUG, good luck finding one! They seem to be rare as rocking horse s*it!

Josh - yes I'm back in Edinburgh. The car market up here sucks for the stuff I'm interested in, but don't miss London.

Defo warming more to the idea of the Alfa now, even just as a 6 month prospect to say I've done it. Not going to rush in to anything though so may be no news until after Christmas.

Guest DanielVTS

I has a 166 V6 Super, it was one of the best cars I've ever owned. I averaged mid 30s mpg with ease. It is comfortable, composed, quick and it sounds fantastic. Radiators fall apart but are not that hard to change (nor expensive)... you don't HAVE to take the whole front off to do it.

Mine was the 6-speed manual and I had no issues at all with it at just over 100k miles, smooth and accurate change, perfect clutch.

I miss my 166 buit my mileage means I had to go Diesel. I'd get another one tomorrow if circumstances were different.

Edited by DanielVTS

jackherer

I would definitely have a 166 V6 over a Volvo S80 T6. The Volvo is faster and feels better built but its an auto, has competent but dull handling and has aged worse than my mates Alfa surprisingly. Also it looks like a taxi in comparison. I've taken advantage of that by debadging it so it blends into traffic but the Alfa has a proper presence, especially when lowered.

If you do get an Alfa these people are useful - http://www.alfamania.net/ - they break 166s, I got a perfect set of Momo/Alfa full black leather electric seats, doorcards, centre console etc and a few other bits like an electric window switch for £150! If you weren't miles away they would be useful for servicing too, their mechanic, Massimo, really knows 166s inside and out.

pug_ham
I'm not so bothered about heel and toeing a diesel estate, but it also means you cannot left foot brake, which is annoying!

True, it's more of a pita for this than for heel & toe but it'd be nicer if it didn't do either.

I'm sure my 120d didn't......

I never said all, I haven't driven a BMW made in the last 10 years so they might be (thankfully) different but iirc the Focus TDCi estate we used for work when I was at Heathrow didn't do it iirc & neither did the Renault Kangoo dci but that might've changed by now.

Going by how many different variations of the VAG TDI engines are used across a wide range of different makes it wouldn't surprise me to find the vast majority of cars now work the same when you press the brake & accelerator at the same time.

Graham.

SurGie
I'm not so bothered about heel and toeing a diesel estate, but it also means you cannot left foot brake, which is annoying!

Sorry but why would anyone really need or want to left foot brake on the road, the track i understand but on the road there really is not need to heel and toe or left foot braking ?

Tom Fenton

In that case Surgie, why do you need a 306 GTI for the road, surely a 1.4 306 will do everything that is required?

SurGie

That's not the same though is it ? Left foot braking or heel and toe is dangerous as it is, let alone on the road. If people want to heel & toe or left foot braking on the road then that would mean people that do that would be pushing it on the road. Doing these on the road im sure could be classed as careless driving, could it not ?

Alan_M

Benefits of heel & toe on the road from Wiki....One benefit of downshifting before entering a turn is to eliminate the jolt to the drivetrain, or any other unwanted dynamics. The jolt will not upset the vehicle as badly when going in a straight line, but the same jolt while turning may upset the vehicle enough to cause loss of control if it occurs after the turn has begun. Another benefit is that "heel-and-toeing" allows the driver to downshift at the last moment before entering the turn, after starting braking and the car has slowed, so the engine speed will not be too high when the lower gear is engaged.

welshpug

why is it dangerous? you don't have to be pushing it to left foot brake, you'll find a lot of race and rally drivers do it naturally without a seconds thought however fast they are driving.

Anthony

I'd love to know how heel and toe'ing is in any way, shape or form dangerous! ;)

If it is, then it's a miracle all those flappy-paddle gearbox cars haven't swerved off the road and mowed down children and cute kittens, since the ECU effectively automatically blips the throttle on a downshift.

Next up from Surgie - synchromesh is dangerous! Bring back sync-less boxes and double declutching :unsure:

SurGie

Its not part of the driving test though is it, it can be dangerous if you are not good at it. Surely if people are in that much of a rush to get somewhere then leave earlier, using the right foot to brake is enough on the road imo. Will it really make that much time to get somewhere ?

welshpug

driving on the motorway isnt part of the driving test, does that mean we shouldn't drive on the motorway?

its not about saving time.

Anthony
Its not part of the driving test though is it, it can be dangerous if you are not good at it.

Neither are motorways. Shall we ban them as well as they must be extremely dangerous by your logic.... oh, hang on a minute, they're actually the safest class of road out there by some margin :unsure:

Seriously, when in a hole, stop digging.

GLPoomobile
That's not the same though is it ? Left foot braking or heel and toe is dangerous as it is, let alone on the road. If people want to heel & toe or left foot braking on the road then that would mean people that do that would be pushing it on the road. Doing these on the road im sure could be classed as careless driving, could it not ?

Wahahahahahahahahahahah :unsure:;):lol: Somebody pass me the tissues, I'm f***ing crying here! :lol:

SurGie

So what is the real advantage to toe and heel on the road then, cars with clutch pedals ?

DaveW

So you got the 166 yet? :unsure: Surgie usual awsome post

The Arch Bishop
Wahahahahahahahahahahah :unsure:;):lol: Somebody pass me the tissues, I'm f***ing crying here! :lol:

Ah, leave him alone. I once heal and toed into a group of nuns. Blood bath.

Baz

You sir really are a clueless buffoon.

:unsure:

Baz
Its not part of the driving test though is it, it can be dangerous if you are not good at it. Surely if people are in that much of a rush to get somewhere then leave earlier, using the right foot to brake is enough on the road imo. Will it really make that much time to get somewhere ?

Yes, again you really are short-sighted.

Looking in your mirror every 5 mili-seconds and feeding the wheel is part of the test, but i don't do that because it_is_f*cking dangerous.

Alastairh
Neither are motorways. Shall we ban them as well as they must be extremely dangerous by your logic.... oh, hang on a minute, they're actually the safest class of road out there by some margin :unsure:

Seriously, when in a hole, stop digging.

;) . Trouble maker!

My mate had a S80 T6. It wasn't a pleasant ownership and ended up doing alot of work on it and flogging it cheap. He regreted not torching it!

Al

Masekwm

Stepping away from the Surgie silly season...

Next year, the 205 will move on and I want one of these

2047824-1.jpg

"Ok, I'll buy a nice, safe, family hatchback and get rid of the dangerous 205" :unsure:;)

welshpug

AutoDelta?

DaveW

Oooh GTA, you better invest in a tyre company :unsure: