• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gavbrum

205 Gti On Top Gear

Para

They just made a total laugh from it. At first I got really excited to hear tha "A french hot hatch" will appear. I was sure it will be 205 GTI , then they mention peugeot and then they show GRD !!! Shock !

I got pretty offended when I heard all that crap about 205s being rotten away and all of them were scrapped or damaged.... Later when I saw Astra GSI being blown away just to proof that English cars are the best !! :) I got the point of the whole episode straight away !

Too bad they didn't show real GTI , it would be much quicker then those old english sport cars :P

PS: Jensen time was 2:17 and GRD was 2:22 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Para

blue_haddock
PS: Jensen time was 2:17 and GRD was 2:22 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep if a 1.8 GRD can do it in 1:22 imagine what a decent GTi could do it in

SurGie

Dont you mean ^^^ 2.22 ?

I'm guessing a good 205gti with the stig could reach around the 1.60 ~1.78 ?

Edited by SurGie

screwloose
because he doesn't want to get beaten!

Do people really still not get the humour of the guy/programme yet?

My sentiments exactly. I cant believe how stupid some people can be.

blue_haddock
Dont you mean ^^^ 2.22 ?

you know what i mean!

Tesstuff
Dont you mean ^^^ 2.22 ?

Dont you mean......well what do you mean Surgie?

How many seconds are in 'your' minutes?

SurGie
:P.

AJA_GTi

Bunch of benders - our cars would have doubled in value if they put a propper gti out there :P

C_W

I would hate to have the inability to get the sometimes obvious and sometimes subtle humour in this program but it seems so many people just don't get it! Did many people miss out on the anagram joke with the reg plates too? etc :P

Yea at one point I thought they were really going to bring a 205GTi on but laughed when they brought hte GRD out saying this was just the same as the GTi, and then said there's no GTis left as they've rusted or been crashed because the handling was terrible, they were just making excuses!!! lol

denva2682

Exactly - i was laughing hard! They blatantly knew a GTI would be somewhat embarrassing on the Brit classics! :P Cracking. :)

swordfish210
because he doesn't want to get beaten!

Do people really still not get the humour of the guy/programme yet?

I'm with you mate, Can you people really not see that it was a programme about British sportscars, not french hatchbacks and that was a JOKE!

GLPoomobile

I reckon some of our members also belong to the Marina owners club :P

happygoron

Distinct sense of humor failure for many on here!

Tesstuff
I would hate to have the inability to get the sometimes obvious and sometimes subtle humour in this program but it seems so many people just don't get it! Did many people miss out on the anagram joke with the reg plates too? etc :P

I agree totally , i think they chuck a few 'disguised' jokes in each episode.

I remember one time , i think it was when they raced the 330D at Silverstone, and the sponsors? were Peniston and when they opened the door it left the 'ton' part of the word on the other door, i was with a mate and his family at the time and NONE of them saw the joke, i laughed out loud and they all looked at me like i was weird :)

The reg plates were something i always look for in a Top Gear episode, still makes me smile how they do it.

Richy_cti

they were clearly joking you could tell throught the entier feture on British sports cars that it they were taking the mick.

yes it would of been very exciting to see them post a Gti's time up and show how much faster it was but a standard family car of today would of been faster due to newer tech.

maybe a e-mail to him would get it on the show and maybe he would actualy send one around the top gear track atleast of just give it a good review, or drop a piano on one lol

Junosix

It's about 26 minutes in if anyone fancies catching up with it on iPlayer.

Totally obvious they were using a base model to make the British cars look quicker. Plus there's James May's quip about 205s handling dreadfully, and Clarkson's theatrical response to it. They know a GTI would have shown it up, for sure :D

I daren't show it to my girlfriend though - it'll be enough "proof" that the 205's s*it.

Para

I was watching this with my girlfriend and she was just looking at me each time they made a joke about the 205 :D I didn't even bother to explain.. they would never understood :P

maturin23

I'm flabbergasted that anyone could watch that section and not be aware that it was all tongue-in-cheek.

I bet even the Astra-driving mouth-breathers aren't getting worked up about the 'fact' that Astras tend to explode.

If people can miss on obvious piss-take on a TV show no wonder we have the odd cross-purposes 'debate' on here... :D

porter_bmx

was a good laugh :D

Para

Well, it was the first "Big" joke they made since they start the comparison so it was easy to get wind up, after a while when I saw Astra GSI exploding everything become clear :D

mickie

it was pretty clear from the start what they were doing haha..

everyone knows they love 205gti's, they've talked about them a few times.

its pointless trying to explain what they were trying to get accross, because its pretty obvious, its just a shame we dont make cheap fun sports cars as i'd buy one tomorrow..

Carbs4me

Well i got over excited! at first and thought this is to good to believe (which it was)

with 30seconds of him say that the 205 Gti's where hard to get hold of because they have either rusted or fell to piece's i recieved about 20 messages from my m8s and family saying............hahahahahahaha....... i was thilled!

DaveW

That GLD needed plasticare badly! I fancy a picnic :D

samc
Distinct sense of humor failure for many on here!

x2

Paulmac19

I never knew the diesel 205s don't rust as quickly

wish i had of bought one of them now :D

Top Gear has a new bit called

post-13974-1280768645.jpg

Dont take it to heart, boys and girls we all know we have cracking wee motors :P