• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Flozman

[engine_work] Lean Mean And 1990 Sorrento Green.

Flozman

update, as things are rolling to the end of the extended bank holiday I feel it may be the time to show my face. NOTHING has gone to plan, im all out of love and things are just starting to get serious.

I did this in the carpark outside.

2011_0501Florian0009.jpg

Flozman

Okay so im using;

Baker BM (another free plug) Top mount and gearbox bushes,

New xantia bottom bush (same as all XU really)

Baker BM Thermostate adapter

I havent decided on what kind of water distrubution block to go for, ive kind of just decided i have enough hoses to cover all matter of experiments.

I think something that dosent get covered a lot maybe the close proximity of the exhaust to the fuel lines, but on the other hand it might be so blatent nobody feels it needs a mention.

However for the sake of the guy who finds this in 2015 via the search function (having begun in 2006) if you replace the fuel hoses from the bulkhead while the engine is OUT this can save you a lot of time as you really

need to extend the lines to get them to run away from the heat source and rather than relocating the fuel filter replace it with a simple inline item or a smaller Xantia one like i bought today.

The Brake Master cylinder gave me no hassle i found the cambelt cover only restriced the fitting but had a lot of give, I took a small metal file to the edge of the rocker cover until i had the clearance to fit the M.C. and a little more for good measure then when I fitted the coilpack cover I had a good template for the cut line though the plastic.

2011_0501Florian0010.jpg

Flozman

Clearance on this manifold is better than i expected.

2011_0501Florian0016.jpg

Flozman

My big problem at the moment is the fecking power steering, I used the standard Xantia engine mount bracket which i thought was going fine until the point i relised the Xantia pump has a high output for the suspension which cant just be blocked off. So I made my way to the breaker and found a pump from a 406, which looked about right. But when i got home the bottom holes dont line up and the pulley wheel will foul. Worst bit is the xantia fitted perfectly but just had to many outputs. So im thinking about another bracket or just buy a manual steering rack. Any rate ive bought a pump i have no use for and Im back to square one.

If anyone is interested, ive used the 1.6 Be3 gearbox, flywheel (about half the size) and new 1.6 clutch kit.

2011_0501Florian0011.jpg

feb

Thanks for the head up, I will be cleaning or replacing all the contaminated parts. If I can be perfectly honest I dont have a clue what the phase my car is or what parts should go, I'm more at home on German and Italian vehicle's.

What is the purpose of the metal gubbins in the oil filler cap?

Is it just to hold potential mayonaise?

What if they are removed completely?

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/1/1/6/1/5/7/webimg/301931497_o.jpg

Flozman

What is the purpose of the metal gubbins in the oil filler cap?

Is it just to hold potential mayonaise?

What if they are removed completely?

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/1/1/6/1/5/7/webimg/301931497_o.jpg

I dont have that in my cap, but if you imagine the gunk you have collected in the oil return pipes this could save any large chunks falling back into the oil so keep it and give it a rinse with petrol every service time.

Flozman

XANTIA XUJ4R MP5.2

XUJ4R 205

CC2B Switched Live 46B

BB8 Perm Live

B14A Perm Live

122B INTERIA BH12

122A INTERIA BH12

8055 AIR CON

1360 VSS

1234 AIR CON

1232 PURGE

822 IMOB

821 IMOB

820 IMOB

426 REV COUNTER 112B

142 DUNNO

141 DIAG SOCKET

140 DIAG SOCKET

123 LAMBDA BH12

120 FUEL PUMP 76

KEY BH12 FUSE BOX

401 47A COOLANT GAUGE

410 30 OIL PRESSURE LIGHT

411 30A OIL TEMP

C120 52 REV LIGHT

220 53 REV LIGHT

1070 7A ALTERNATOR LIGHT

400 47 COOLANT LIGHT

414 30B OIL PRESSURE

Flozman

Two weeks and still no thermostate adapter or engine mounts...Gay

Flozman

While the sorrento is waiting for its downpipe, thought i might share deisel slag. Some of the parts replaced are Fuel solinoid, downpipe gasket, resonance chamber, control arm, track rod ends, two starter motors. The paint has gone on every panel, the ariel is broken, the vin numbers and tag have been removed at some stage in its life and Im reaching the new milestone of 225,000 miles in all likleyhood without the aid of a service. Ive set myself a challenge of seeing if It can make 250k before the next MOT in Novemeber.

I was even brave enough to take a 400mile round trip to rainey Wales about a month ago, fully laden making resonable speed.

Photo-0025-1.jpg

Photo-0026.jpg

Photo-0027.jpg

Photo-0010_1.jpg

Photo-0013.jpg

Flozman

Suppose id better update considering its been a while and ive done stuff.

Anthony Kindly offered to swap my PAS rack for a Non, which basically came down to removing the subframe and gubbins in about the worst downpour in history. Anthony kindly helped whilst I scrambled around for tools (before I got a garage).

Next day i was out cleaning the new rack and subframe before reinstallation.

Photo-0019.jpg

Photo-0020.jpg

Flozman

I was rather pleased to recieve my re-angled manifold and my adapter from Stew, but the build was starting to get put on hold. Call it what you want but if you dont have the money to buy what you need everything starts feeling like a struggle. I didnt want to take everything apart again in a few months and the car was pratically worthless.

I managed to salvage some parts off the Diesel, so amongst other things i can bin those horrid phase one mirrors. Anyway after a few months on the axel stands I'm making a comeback.

Newkit.jpg

KONI.jpg

Flozman

Thanks to all who have sold me parts, like the chap who sold me those Koni's for £30!!!

Flozman

Any after enough faffing about and lots of piss taking, i decided id give the engine a kick in the arse. I've never been that concerned with huge power output, its such a pointless task trying to compete with people who have more money or are just better mechanics.

But I like working the underdog card so if you spotted it thats a RS loom and ECU +

20120324_092351.jpg

20120315_182651.jpg

Flozman

More toys from Stew

20120324_092307.jpg

Trying to get to grips with the new loom

20120309_160410.jpg

20120324_175427.jpg

Flozman

So far i've replaced all the bushes and nyloc nuts and bolts. The discs are 266mm but i had a play with a 406 setup and regardless of the fact they didnt fit very well, they are just too heavy.

20120325_145211.jpg

20120325_145219.jpg

allye

I herd you got some tasty belts too :ph34r: Looking good though, never realised this one was yours!

Flozman

20120325_192353.jpg

20120325_200947.jpg

Flozman
I herd you got some tasty belts too :ph34r: Looking good though, never realised this one was yours!

Haha caught me updating my thread, I cant wait to fit them!

Matter of fact I just cant wait to start tarting the car up it aint had a coat of wax in 8 years!

Flozman

Bosch calipers tidied up with some coach paint.

20120406_191548.jpg

Air filter needs extending to clear the top hose.

20120409_151236.jpg

My custom made coilpack retainers

20120414_191336.jpg

First startup without exhaust!

20120414_191330.jpg

Flozman
20120409_191007.jpg

camgti

Nice job. Great work with the 16 and the car looks great!

If you can manage, you should try and refit the battery and move the filter further away from the throttle body. Will give you a better sound and give it a longer inlet tract length leading to possible torque gains etc. It worked on mine when I changed it anyway

Cam

welshpug

don't bin the mirrors! i'll take them for a friend :)