• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Flozman

[engine_work] Lean Mean And 1990 Sorrento Green.

Flozman

Basically I bought this car with the intension of using it to house one of my 1.9 TD engine's, with the intension of using it as a track hack.

I don't know anything about pug's (I like German) so I didn't know they are quite sort after, but now I'm looking to restore it as a little weekend car.

I've done a list of minor things already, but today it's headgasket, waterpump, cambelt, oil breather pipe. I'll update tonight.

1767393-1.jpg

Flozman

Okay so yesterday was a bit of a failure to launch, none of the parts arrived ;) So instead my other half dragged me around "Shopping" for the best part of the day and proceeded to moan about my apparent bad mood.

When we did finally return home I decided it was to late to start messing about, but i needed to get one of my screwdrivers out of the 205. I got sidetracked (as you do) and started taking the engine to bits.

IMG00020.jpg

Needless to say the oil was milky.

IMG00023.jpg

Once id got the inlet manifold off, after removing about 100 pipes of most which need replacing (should be fun sourcing them) i discovered some idiot who must have thought a gasket was an optional extra had instead used some silicone based sealant. To make matter worse once the manifold had been refitted the sealant oozed out and partially coated the injectors...Nice.

IMG00021.jpg

But now I'm left wondering if this little issue might be the cause of the water in the oil. As otherwise the car run well and starts instantly, the brand new alternater suggest that the manifold may have been removed to gain better access and water may have entered though the inlet.

IMG00022.jpg

In other news i managed to get a new grill from the breakers for a fiver, I also was quite pleased to find the fog lights worked when i bought the car, however i made the error of touching one and it crumbled. The chicken wire is one of my fav mods made by a previous owner and really sets it apart.

IMG00014.jpg

IMG00013.jpg

IMG00018.jpg

I'm haggling for a respray at the moment but to be fair ill just settle for the bonnet right now it looks trash, rust wise id have fagged it by now if it wasn't solid.

notamondayfan

Good luck! Atleast it looks pretty straight and shouldnt take much to get it up to scratch!

Flozman

New Parts

IMG00042.jpg

Head Inspection

IMG00049.jpg

New Head Gasket

2.jpg

Intake manifold cleanup - I had to washout a thick layer of oily grim.

IMG00029.jpg

I decided on painting the intake black.

IMG00033.jpg

The Airbox had a fair bit of rust, so this was tackled with a wire wheel on my trusty drill.

IMG00040.jpg

IMG00041.jpg

Once i cleaned up the face of the cylinder head, I did I bit more cleaning and painting.

head1.jpg

omega

good work and good luck

Flozman

Oh and did I mention things didnt exactly go to plan :)

The engine Mount rubber was slighty worn.

IMG00047.jpg

The infamous, METAL WATER PIPE looked like it was just raised off the titanic and after a slight poke with a flathead, this happend>

IMG00043.jpg

On my short test drive, I thought the brakes worked rather well condsidering is be off road for 6 years. So i was a bit supprised to find the rotors were pure rust.

IMG00045.jpg

Also found the track rod end to be past there best, so im back parts buying.

Flozman

More new stuff, Track rod ends and I know its not a big brake kit but ive got a lot to do before the car goes off for a lick of paint.

Thanks to Stuart at BakerBM for the oil pipe, rapid service.

IMG00162.jpg

Baz

Looks like a decent project and well worth the effort! :lol:

Big brakes aren't needed IMO anyway! All i'd do is swap the calipers for 1.9 ones, the 1.6 ones are a poor design and are often worn and crap frankly!

Plus, it's Stew(art) at BakerBM too! :)

Flozman
Looks like a decent project and well worth the effort! :lol:

Big brakes aren't needed IMO anyway! All i'd do is swap the calipers for 1.9 ones, the 1.6 ones are a poor design and are often worn and crap frankly!

Plus, it's Stew(art) at BakerBM too! :)

Thanks for making me feel like a tard, but i dont think "Stewart" will mind as I will be palming more cash his way shortly.

I will have a go at sourcing 1.9 calipers after I get my head round the torsion bar ive been ingoring, i dont know if its worth tackling myself i dont know FA about it regardless of how primative.

gerry

Looking good and coming along nicely :)

Baz
Thanks for making me feel like a tard, but i dont think "Stewart" will mind as I will be palming more cash his way shortly.

:lol: Sorry didn't mean to make you feel like a 'tard at all! :) Should've added 'btw' or something maybe? I'm sure he doesn't mind anyway!

See you tomorrow/later! :lol:

Flozman

Nice doing business Baz, Im thinking about having them done Gun Metal but ill be keeping the 14's as they are mint original's.

IMG_0347.jpg

DaveW

You could try to wet sand the bad lifting laquer on the bonnet with some 2000 wet n dry to make it look abit less s*it ha

Miles

I'd be tempted to get a new Oil filler tower as well due to the sludge and the metal inside them tends to end up in the sump, for £20.00 ish from Pug worth it,

If no ones said, the door mirrors are wrong for the car, they are Phase 1 ones

Flozman
You could try to wet sand the bad lifting laquer on the bonnet with some 2000 wet n dry to make it look abit less s*it ha

Good idea mate but I have leave it for my brother to sort out when I get it road legal. i cant get at a power source atm and Im not keen on sanding the old fahion way :)

stuart1298

looking at the brakes, someones had a trip to eurocarparts, the eicher disks are pretty good, but wouldnt rate the pads

Flozman
I'd be tempted to get a new Oil filler tower as well due to the sludge and the metal inside them tends to end up in the sump, for £20.00 ish from Pug worth it,

If no ones said, the door mirrors are wrong for the car, they are Phase 1 ones

Thanks for the head up, I will be cleaning or replacing all the contaminated parts. If I can be perfectly honest I dont have a clue what the phase my car is or what parts should go, I'm more at home on German and Italian vehicle's.

Flozman
looking at the brakes, someones had a trip to eurocarparts, the eicher disks are pretty good, but wouldnt rate the pads

Cheers bud, i cant help but replace with german parts its in grained into me!

shalmaneser

Nice little project you've got there!

Good luck and nice to see it's being de-bodged after the previous owner's 'maintenance'

Flozman

I havent slept very well, I kind of woke up in cold sweats thinking that id never finish the car. Somehow in my nightmare losing an exhaust stud could spell the end of the project.

Back in the real world GSF car parts finally send me my Metal Water Pipe after a week of waiting with no ETA...goody. I'm almost tempted to book some time off and work to get the car finished for the MOT but the weather is so unpredicable at the moment and im not having any luck with finding a secure lockup with lighting. It might be a regional thing but workshop-space is a premium in my area along with house prices, which makes no sense as 80% of the units stand empty 100% of the time. I know decent small businesses that just dont have the floor space to cope with any kind of growth. Anyway that is all. :)

Edited by Flozman

Flozman

Well ive spent hours in the freezing cold messing about with breathers, vacuum hoses, wiring and engine mounts to list a few. My best mate and I made a final attack on the engine last weekend to get her running. Did I mention it was cold? So we alternated between beer and coffee. I had made very little progress during the week due to the bad light and having to drive back into town to get "odds & sods".

After everything had been put back together, we made our final checks and I pulled the Jeep round to jump the Pug into life. Turn one ignition on! Turn two NOTHING!!!! Quite an anti climax considering the small gathering that had formed to witness the moment.

We went though and check everything again and nothing, but eventully mangaged to trace the fault back to a faulty starter solenoid thanks to a heavy gauge wire run from the jump lead. By this time i had already removed the Inlet manifold and had failed to notice the fuel gushing over the windscreen whilst producing some rather large sparks...oh well. So I was on the hunt for a new starter motor.

IMG00173.jpg

Flozman

Another boring update, finally put the lights back in after a cleaning them up and resealing them. When I went out to remove them orignally one of the lens fell out into my hand! But now they look much better and are water tight and I painted the Non-reflective parts black. I will however be replacing them when the cars stripped down at the bodyshop.

IMG00183.jpg

IMG00182.jpg

New waterpipe felt like a major victory, just because the old one took so long to get off.

IMG00167.jpg

Good news today is my brother in-law is fragging a Xantia VSX 2.0i, I havent had a look yet to see if its a 16v but I believe it to be a 8v. So I have a starter motor and maybe a few other bits depending on what can be made to fit. I still need a manifold so I hope it can donate that, plus im tempted to just nick the entire lump.

Flozman

87k and runs like a dream and cost nothing! JACKPOT

I' am doing the car justice or should i keep it original?

IMG00222.jpg

Daviewonder

Any updates, did you decide to change the engine? If you do decide to change it I would keep all the original 1.6 parts so you can change it back to all its limited edition glory if you ever want to :lol:

Flozman
Any updates, did you decide to change the engine? If you do decide to change it I would keep all the original 1.6 parts so you can change it back to all its limited edition glory if you ever want to B)

Well Ive been working on the 1.6 engine and got finally got that running on Boxing Day which is always nice even though its coming out soon anyway for ground up rebuild to factory spec.

The Xantia is sitting behind my house atm with the 205 collecting dust, YES i am still transplanting the 16v engine. But the weather is against me as Im doing all the work outside at my mates yard. Plus the added bonus that my wife just changed jobs so i have no money to pay for parts at the moment.

But i do have the loom sorted, I'm holding out for some Basic model hubs, 306 gti-6 manifold and inlet cam and some other gubbins, On the plus side its giving me time to do my homework and get it right first time but the pressure is on me as Im driving home to Germany for Easter. My brother will be starting on the bodywork once I get back just incase I bin it again on the Nordschleife.

Edited by Flozman