• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dch1950

Bolsters & Covers - Latest News

dch1950
I may be mistaken but had you not tried to or managed to find somwhere that would manufacture an exact replacement for the 'fill' material. I can totally sympathise with you regarding Peugeot's lack of enthusiasm in helping with information, especially considering that they could use you as a supplier and make some money themselves.

It frustrates me that there are people in the Peugeot organisation who know who made the material or what the exact spec is and as they no longer want to make it you'd think they would give the information out to those who do!

I am working on a replacement insert material and have been for several months as it is obvious to me that the original material will just get scarcer and scarcer. Nobody wants to even look at making the original , because it's so non-standard. I know exactly what it's made of as I've had it under the microscope (literally) but to make it would cost more than most people would reasonably be expected to pay.Just not cost effective by any stretch of the imagination. You said you'd voted on my samples so you must know where I 'm at in respect of this.

Peugeot are (and always will be ) completely indifferent to the GTi and owners - although they will always conveniently reviatalise their apparent interest when it suits them.Nothing changes.

I believe that a quality substitute fabric in a matching "style" of the original Quartet material will, in the long run be a better solution. Leaving the manky old original fabric to those real cash heads who can afford to have it cleaned and restored by their local museum conservators LOL!

regards

Dave

dch1950

Hi all,

it has been a busy week for me, banking all in place now, few more bits and bobs to complete, merchant accounts etc is all progressing and my coding of the web shop is being researched for a suitable cart to integrate. I've spent many hours marking up patterns and cutting out the component pieces for the seats. I have had a couple of problems with the front seats - nothing insurmountable, but my personal motivation (and Q/A standards) require me to get it right.

I am making the working prototype rear seat covers at the moment and hope to have the publicity pics ready next week.

As soon as I'm happy I'll get them on my site. My own stock of car seat bits continues to grow and I did a stock check this morning and realised how much I had acquired. My main deadline now is to be up and running by the end of September.

The nature of setting up this venture has always been 2 steps forward,one step back, but I believe the intitial products and my vision for the future offerings to market will be successful.

Keep the faith.

regards

Dave

denva2682

Once again Dave, I must congratulate you for the dedication that you have displayed in this project. Also, you have identified a clear gap in the 205 market by setting up this retrimming service. If I lived nearby and felt I had the dexterity required I would certainly have liked to have spoken with you regarding assisting as per your website ad - definately something that interests me.

Once you are all up and running, do you see a similar project regarding phase 1 seats? Since decent originals are as rare as hens teeth, it would be fantastic to own a retrimmed set, complete with original type velour centres and (much-thicker-than-original) black cloth bolsters! :blink:

Edited by denva2682

dch1950

Hi,

my patterns are for those seats that use the recaro style foams. I'm not certain what you mean by a Phase 1 seat but if it uses the same foam base then the answer to your question is yes. I am spending a lot of time researching fabrics and when really I think I should be making covers. I am a perfectionist by nature and want it to be right. I am not far away now though. To some extent you have started something which I was about to raise myself. That is I want to create a library of the various upholstery and hard trim combinations that there were for the 205.

My enquiries made of Peugeot are just politely ignored. I shall, therefore be asking people to help me (and the 205 world in general) to draw up a trim details database with phase changes and hard and soft trim colours etc. I am hoping to achieve this by using an on screen survey and also using my drop.io page for uploading jpegs of the variants. The data will then be loaded up for use as a freely available (and searchable) reference guide. I hope people will see the value in something like this and will respond kindly.

regards

Dave

PS - as Dr Sarty pointed out the 1/2 leather variants for the 1.9 will naturally arise from my production scheme. I am , therefore looking to upgrade my humble domestic sewing machine to something with a bit more OOOmmph!.

Then I have to look for hide suppliers.It goes on and on ....

Keep the faith.

D

dch1950

Hi everyone,

I learnt a somewhat salutary lesson last week, and there is a lesson for us all here. I was washing some seat covers prior to taking them apart to use the "quartet" inserts for stock. I chucked them in the machine and left it to run.

The effects I suppose were fairly predictable and I should have anticipated them - but you don't do ya!

The bolster material foam backing (and cotton scrim) more or less dissolved and got washed away (blocking the machine filter as it did so). Because this fabric is so old and it has dried out it will do this, so great care has to exercised if you remove your covers for washing them. They should be soaked prior to washing and a low temp wash used.Even then I would be a little dubious as to how they would stand up.

I mention this as when you send covers to me for refurbing/refitting I will ask that they are cleaned prior to sending them to me if possible.

It is equally interesting that there are a number of BS standards that apply to car seat upholstery.To whit, Abrasion resistance, flammability, light fastness, fastness to rubbing - wet & dry (I do like the sound of that one - ISO 105-X12.2002 !) etc,etc .But when it comes to what is laughingly called "Maintenance" - very little is seen to be in place other than - wipe with a damp cloth (not that old favourite again!) or shampoo using a proprietary upholstery shampoo.

These valeting firms with their deep penetration water systems will undoubtedly wreck older car seats like ours.

I got onto my supplier and mentioned this and they said that they never issue washing instructions with their supplied fabrics for this very reason. So be warned.

Those niggling fit problems I had with the bolsters have finally been resolved, a small pattern change, and some stitching line mods and "Bob's your mother's brother".

regards

Dave

ponz

So will you be providing bolsters? Mine are split on both passenger and driver's side - something quite common in 205s I understand. I will probably retrim in all leather but I can't find replacement bolsters anywhere.

Once you get your site up and running you should consider selling bolsters. I for one would be sure to buy...

dch1950

Hi Ponz,

Bolsters remain on my agenda, but I have had to put them on the back burner for a while as it was distracting me from my main goal - refurbed seat covers. In the short term I would refer you to my article/notes on bolster foam repair which is on my drop.io page.

The production of new cast foam bolsters of merchantable quality and good enough to replace busted ones is quite a project in it's own right. I have looked at several possibities here and the cost of what I regard as the neatest (and most efficient) way of reproducing the bolsters is not unfortunately the most cost effective of solutions. Elegance of the solution imposing massive direct costs (10k+). I have asked a mate to look at alternatives for me and I hope to eventually produce a viable solution. In the short term it looks like block repair,L108 glue and Duck tape, I'm afraid.

Thanks for your interest and please keep following my thread for updates.

regards

Dave

dch1950

Hi all,

I think it's fair to say that it's getting serious now. I ran out of B09 for the bolsters last week and I needed to get the other materials I needed for the rear seats as well. Expensive but it's done now. I found a great "leatherette" material for the rear covers of the rear seat backrests ( bloody hell that was a mouth full!). The one item I thought was going to be easy to get - that is to say - the zips for the rear seats - proved to be real sod. These are "metric" zips and this throws your average trim supplier into a a total black hole!

Fortunately I found a great (UK) firm who can produce zips for me at a great price. A small Leicester based company that was really helpful and it was good to hear from a another Brit who's doing his own thing. Don't get me wrong - I've nothing against china or other pacific rim suppliers, but it cheered me up to talk to a bloke who knew his stuff and was happy to help me, and lived up the road.

My attempts to finalise my merchant accounts for Internet card payments fell over again last week when I talked to my "local advisor" from Barclays and told her that the agreement she thought I was going to sign wasn't in actual fact a legally binding document and I wouldn't enter into such an arrangement. After much waffle from Barclays I had to cancel my arrangements with them - so I'm looking - AGAIN- for a decent bank for the business. Ah well.

I'm still trying to find a decent two part Polyurethane foam that I can use to cast the thigh bolsters with. Once I do get one of a decent density (around 130kgs/cubic metre - required in order to firm up the bolsters so they don't bust so easily) I may well be able to move ahead on that front.

The matter of the alternative insert material continues to give me sleepless nights. An alternative fabric is required for me to de-restrict my own market opportunities relating to refurbed/replacement seat covers. My problem is that buying a load of fabric which nobody buys is financial "Hara-Kiri" - I've tried asking for opinions on the fabrics, (and thanks to all of you who took the time to vote) but 34 odd votes isn't enough persuasion for me to buy any kind of material to use as a replacement insert. The trouble is of course that most seats are now totally cream crackered and no matter what I do they are never going to look great - fact.

I'm trying my best here, but sometimes feel I'm fighting a lone uphill battle. If I could suggest that a "group" buy of the fabric for the inserts could be a real goer (I'm dedicated to solving this but I'm not an eccentric milionare) how would that go down with you all?

I could get the best fabric and would be able to either pass it directly to those forum members who contribute to the scheme or use it in the orders that are placed with my firm for refurbished seat covers. This problem is a real ball ache

Don't forget of course that it's not just the cost of the fabric involved here. We have shipping to the UK, storage, time taken by me to measure and cut it (for my own fim's use for orders - or distribution), UK P&P etc,etc.

Why bother I hear you all crying - a good point I suppose- we will all have leather sets by preference anyway.

I do bother though and I suppose I'm in a bit of a "black dog" session at the moment.

Any road up - that's about where I am at the moment.

best regards

Dave

GLPoomobile

Dave, just my opinion, but it may be indicative of the wider opinion too....

Personally, I read your topic with interest, and a HUGE amount of respect for what you are doing. I don't want to see this venture fall flat on it's face. As parts become more obscure, the 205 GTI community is going to need more entrepreneurs like yourself. I've got to confess that I've only read your posts on here and have not yet taken the time to visit your site. Total laziness on my part :unsure:

But here's the real crunch point for me - I'm looking at a venture in the early stages. I don't know when you will be able to offer these covers, I don't know what the quality will be like (should be good, as you are clearly a perfectionist), and most importantly, I don't know what the costs are. So at this point in time, I find the actual topic interesting, but in terms of me having an interest in buying a set of your covers, it's just a casual "passing interest". Now if that's an opinion that is shared by the wider community, you have a real issue, as you need our feedback to help you on your way.

I'm not really sure what to suggest. Perhaps a side topic linked to this one, specifically asking for feedback, with a poll option for people to vote. Hope I've given you some food for thought anyway :P

Edited by GLPoomobile

dch1950

Hi,

Any one who has followed this thread knows that I am indeed determined to get things right. There are questions , however, that I do need to get some feedback on as the responses will determine how I make and promote these covers.

Guaging opinions is important to me and this forum should represent a fair cross section of the potential market. Usually not slow in voicing opinions on things - you have all remained strangly quiet when I have asked for input.

GL's points were fair and I accept that lack of actual seats "to see and touch" is limiting - but I am not asking for purchase of said items without anything to show you. I am trying to get my market research tuned to the state where I will be selling what you want to buy. I can't do that without some feedback. I am working on 1/2 leather variants this week as this deems to be (probably) the replacement/refurbishment of choice.

best regards

Dave

mhyphenl

Hi Dave,

Just how much material are we talking here? How much do people need to buy on a group buy? I just think you going to dilute your market if there are a load of other people out there with material that will be tempted to have a go rather than order from you! Sounds like you've put too much effort in to warrant loosing sales as it were!

dch1950
Hi Dave,

Just how much material are we talking here? How much do people need to buy on a group buy? I just think you going to dilute your market if there are a load of other people out there with material that will be tempted to have a go rather than order from you! Sounds like you've put too much effort in to warrant loosing sales as it were!

Hi there,

I'm sorry but I don't quite understand what you are saying. Who will these other people be with this material? I am the sole agent involved here. Anyone can can have a go at making their own bolsters and covers - good luck to them.

We are talking about the seat insert fabric here - the so called "Quartet" look alike polyester fabric I have been looking to introduce to de-restrict my own market. They would still have to be able to make bolster covers to attach to this material.

It is a lengthy and involved route in getting to that point - let me assure you.

Or have I misunderstood you?

regards

Dave

mhyphenl

Yes, I think we may have our wires crossed. I got the impression that, due to the cost of ordering the insert fabric, at whatever minimum order value, you were looking at a group buy for that material to reduce your initial costs. My point was that if you want people to order new seat covers made with this new insert material, you wouldn't want too many people out there trying to do the same with the material you sold them, effectively reducing your market. Not a criticism, I was just wandering how much of the stuff you have to buy?!?

dch1950
Yes, I think we may have our wires crossed. I got the impression that, due to the cost of ordering the insert fabric, at whatever minimum order value, you were looking at a group buy for that material to reduce your initial costs. My point was that if you want people to order new seat covers made with this new insert material, you wouldn't want too many people out there trying to do the same with the material you sold them, effectively reducing your market. Not a criticism, I was just wandering how much of the stuff you have to buy?!?

Your intial supposition is correct. The minimum order is 1000 metres of standard roll width (aprox 1.4 metres). Admittedly if nobody ordered covers from me I'd be well and truly ****ed! But I know that the quality of the covers will sell them.

You hit the nail on the head with the phrase - "to reduce my initial costs" this is an option to use the new fabric instead of sending me old inserts or me having to scrat around trying to find suitable quality replacements. - it also enables me to get everyone thinking about what tweaks would be needed to get the most popular fabric of the 4 displayed on my poll page to be a really good replacement.

This is good for us all. For instance this polyester fabric will be much better wearing (especially on the seat squabs) and easier to clean. It will need (IMHO) a laminated backing of some sort - maybe foam and canvas so that it holds it's shape. and doesn't stretch too much.

I think it's the better option in the longer term, but only time, and hopefully demand for my covers, will tell.

Peugeot really should have thought a bit harder about the trim fabrics back then - But the hindsight thing applies again !

regards

Dave

Gentrix
Peugeot really should have thought a bit harder about the trim fabrics back then - But the hindsight thing applies again !

regards

Dave

I think they did a great job back then - better than most of their competitors.

And I would most certainly buy my option of having a few meters of a nice matching quartett material - I hope green-chequered will be an option too, but if not, red-chequered will do almost as well.

Dave, do you have a vague housenumber of how much we are talking, let's say you need X square-meters of material or running meters of that 1.4 meter roll, when the whole roll is a certain amount a.s.o.. ?

andi

dch1950
I think they did a great job back then - better than most of their competitors.

And I would most certainly buy my option of having a few meters of a nice matching quartett material - I hope green-chequered will be an option too, but if not, red-chequered will do almost as well.

Dave, do you have a vague housenumber of how much we are talking, let's say you need X square-meters of material or running meters of that 1.4 meter roll, when the whole roll is a certain amount a.s.o.. ?

andi

Hi Andi,

for the most part they probably did. But in the case of the "quartet" material - most definitely not. Every fabric manufacturer I have sent samples to throws their hands in the air and just says - No this red/black plastic strip - faced with felt - is (was) a one off and as such is not available now in any shape or form. They wouldn't even quote me a ball park as they were probably thinking their looms wouldn't be able to cope. It is that which has stopped any further production (by anyone) - yet alone Peugeot. Delcar is actually a French-Canadian firm by the way - strange for Peugeot to go outside "La belle France" for major suppliers don't you think. Modern NC looms are easily re-programmable but depend on weaving the basics - polyester yarn in our case.That is where economy of scale comes in.

I'm not happy with any one fabric of the 4 I showed you all and wanted to combine the best aspects of probably 2 of them to get a good match. Once that is achieved then my supplier will quote me for 1000 metres (red/black). Green/black equally shouldn't be a real problem but it all comes down to money at the end of the day doesn't it.

Do the maths -as they say, 2 lots (1000metres each) red/black and green/black (forget blue - I've never seen it anyway)

China was talking at an initial base price of between 4 and 5 dollars per linear metre. That amounts to $10,000 just to make it. Then we have taxes, shipping and freight then , transport at the UK end plus storage. Then we have to add in the actual handling costs for production and of course my profit margin on the deal. Hmmm - I can't even afford to have it made yet alone get it to the UK for distribution.

The supplier I'm working with a the moment has been at a trade fair in Hanover for the last 2 weeks and has been unavailable for the last month as they are launching a new product - which has meant setting up new machines , trialling new production techniques etc,etc, So I've got to wait until they re-emerge from post exhibtion euphoria and look back in my direction. A pain - but then I don't have any purchasing power with this company and at the moment I can't even offer an open order for the first 1000 metres.

There you have it in a nut shell.

Dave

dch1950

Hi all,

I became the proud owner of my brand new industrial sewing machine today. A useful addition to my working set of tools as it means I can work independantly of my outworker machinists and hopefully progress will be much quicker.

The provisional products and prices list has also finally been completed and is available on the Products page of my web site.

I'm just waiting for a response from my fabric supplier and then once the agreed changes to the fabric are made and my initial supplies of my new "Quintet" fabric get to the UK, I will soon be in a much better position to assess my launch date.

I realise it has taken a while, but I am determined that my seat covers will be the best possible quality and hope that you all will bear with me.

best regards

Dave

dch1950

Hi all,

I have had a great week. My new sewing machine is in and running, my fabric and hide suppliers are realising that I mean what I say, so things are progressing well as far a the credibility of the business is concerned.

The first shipment of my "Quintet" fabric has arrived in the UK - and I have to admit it looks fabulous. This now means I can produce the pre-production full sets of covers and get my sales and marketing pictures done, (and fix my own car seats as well). It's nearly a year since I asked a guy in Coventry how much to repair mine - That being the motivator that sent me down this particular road. So much has happened and despite all that I know I'm on my way now.

I have also asked my supplier to do me a green version (samples only initially) but if it is anything near as good as the red variant. Boom, Boom. I will no longer maintain this thread as it is better that I communicate through my website.

Thanks to you all who have followed this thread and I hope you will do me the honour of looking at my products and hopefully buying them. They will look great!

best regards

Dave